5150 build.

A bit in to the paint, This time I have a nitro base and white with slight discolouration then the red and to replicate the slightly fuzzy edge on the black masked it with card only resting in position (the original was probably done this way. The next issue was my decal is a laser jet waterslide on a very thin clear . The plan is to put it on and mask the area around it to show the outline of the original decal and then overspray it with a slight tint to look discoloured;IMG_2241.jpg
and the real one;9b6699d249c2774b43dbd4df1fe09cfc.jpg
The lacquer has slightly damaged my logo but I can fix it I hope. This is a good shot to show the original machine head holes filled when it had a strat head.

And the back before relic;IMG_2243.jpg
The real one;
f7zMRpT.jpg
A late shot but not as late as the front above. It will give me something to work from and there are very few back of head shots to work from.
On a side note I really don't think I can put the tuners on that wonky.

I don't remember ever noticing that 7th tuner before. Why was that added?
At the end of its time as number one Ed broke a piece off the headstock (it was actually just the graft coming unglued) so in order to carry on using it he just drilled an extra hole to fix the machine head. It's position was not that important because of the locknut . The seventh tuner came about when it was repaired ( at music man ). In fact Ed was livid because they cleaned the neck and refretted it and put a music man logo over the Kramer one. As the original Gotoh tuner was now in the new hole a two tab Schaller m6 was on for the high E .
Ed still played this guitar in the studio and though it sounded better than the Music Man. He also liked the pickup better until he got the Wolfgang pickup which was built to replicate it not the Dimarzio.

Thanks everyone.
Already talking to people about mk 3, correcting things that I got wrong and things that this time will be better because of what I learned doing these. I have my paint technique down now to get this look and I have the exact products I need to use . I have figured out what I need to do to get the rub throughs to make the "fade" look the same. I still don't have a Hanson FRT5 Floyd and I don't think I can justify the cost compared to an original 84 Schaller with the spring plate removed a steel block and a replica arm mech. But I can easily retrofit one should the opportunity arise . The body wood issue is still difficult .I saw it 25 years ago and thought it was probably poplar, the wear patch certainly could be (and because all production was at the time and it was built from parts ALREADY in the factory) and very light . Scott at Musikraft who has seen and played it more recently than me tells me it is basswood and Fender have taken forensic samples for an upcoming tribute replica and it came back swamp ash but I only have this second hand (from reliable people).
The now infamous forearm shot looks like swamp ash but not anywhere else.
245940464_10223669220792806_7864467264200187239_n.jpg
open pores in the grain are not in basswood or poplar and it looks like they are here.
This would require a reason for a half ass half sanded half filled but sealed swamp ash pacer body too already be a Kramer. Which BTW was not capable of making any parts themselves . I need to get a confirmation of the sample and if so that is the answer.

As a reference here is a strat body that I painted recently; same grain and look at the pours in the annual rings.
IMG_2077.jpg
It's hard to see how this is not it BUT how to explain no visible grain on the rest of the body.

Back
Top Bottom