Axe-Fx III Firmware 19.00 Beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems odd, but anything that seems to be a Marshall or some derivative of that amp type sounds muddy with both my Charvel's with JB's. Was never an issue before.

Does the guitar have fresh strings? Does the pick still have its point?

Thanks all in FAS for your hard work on FW19. Here's a review from a heavy user of full-driven "CLASS-A 30W" model.
Today I tried FW19 for the first time, and not only did I feel closer to the real deal, I also noticed the flabby low end was gone.
Interested in how this FW update would change the sound in a mix, I re-amped the guitar tracks of my song (I recently uploaded) and remixed.
The following is the sound clips for comparison. No changes in presets and other settings in DAW, just a change of the firmware. I think FW19 is more articulate and cuts through in the mix.

FW 18.03

FW 19.00 beta3 *

* Left channel's lead guitars/rhythm guitars before 0:17 hasn't been updated

What I found interesting is the waveform - FW 19 has much more bumps.
1642340858672.png

Overall this is a significant improvement to me, I'm happy with this update!

Last edited:
Thanks all in FAS for your hard work on FW19. Here's a review from a heavy user of full-driven "CLASS-A 30W" model.
Today I tried FW19 for the first time, and not only did I feel closer to the real deal, I also noticed the flabby low end was gone.
Interested in how this FW update would change the sound in a mix, I re-amped the guitar tracks of my song (I recently uploaded) and remixed.
The following is the sound clips for comparison. No changes in presets and other settings in DAW, just a change of the firmware. I think FW19 is more articulate and cuts through in the mix.

FW 18.03

FW 19.00 beta3 *

* Left channel's lead guitars/rhythm guitars before 0:17 hasn't been updated

What I found interesting is the waveform - FW 19 has much more bumps.
View attachment 94357

Overall this is a significant improvement to me, I'm happy with this update!

It can be difficult enough to hear subtle differences between firmware versions with guitars in isolation, much less in a mix.

Does the guitar have fresh strings? Does the pick still have its point?
Yeah. This isn't a dead strings issue. It's far more dramatic in difference than that. I have 7 guitars. The 2 with the JB's are the only 2 that sound that significantly different and have that muddiness to them. Its odd. I really can't imagine a specific amp cares more about blunt pics or dead strings than another. Both guitars sound fine on the Soldano.

[EDIT] Meh. Ignore this. Whatever it was, it's fixed. Still have zero I what I did to change it, but it's back to normal sounding.

Last edited:
If future firmware can model atmospheric conditions: I'll put in my vote right now for Jamaican Northers: Enhanced realism on the skank for Ska, Rock Steady, and Reggae, crosswind pulse with the reverb. Ya, mon!

Comparing firmware 18.03 and 19 beta 3, using DI tracks from Pro Mix Academy. The changes for the 6160 models ("Fixed signal level into power amp a bit too high in 6160 models") are obvious ! But for the other models, they're subtle, so no need to tweak ;)

The amps you are using are all predominately preamp tube distortion amps so the differences won't be very noticeable. The difference is more obvious using non-MV amps like Fenders, Plexis, Vox, etc.

Comparing firmware 18.03 and 19 beta 3, using DI tracks from Pro Mix Academy. The changes for the 6160 models ("Fixed signal level into power amp a bit too high in 6160 models") are obvious ! But for the other models, they're subtle, so no need to tweak ;)

Damn that CA3+ Preset sounds SOOOOO good!!!!
Crunch, string clarity, thump...it's got it all. Going to explore that amp today!

Interesting anecdote:

This morning I was doing an A/B test against my Morgan AC20 Deluxe. The distortion texture of the Morgan was very slightly different. I had just added 10 new power tube types so I went through the new EL84 types and settled on the EL84 JJ (the default tube for the model is the EL84/6BQ5 which is a GE). The distortion texture was now nearly (if not) identical.

"That's interesting", I thought. So I pulled the back cover off the Morgan to see what type of power tubes were in it. The labels were turned away from me so I had to pull one out (and melted a piece of foam I was using as a "potholder"). Check the label: JJ.

Last edited:
Spent a lot of time last night noodling on JVM OD1 Green channel in 19.03, dialing around from lower to higher gain, boosting, cutting input trim to get edge clean, running drives in front ... awesome! - it does everything - checked back in with it this morning - still awesome - I don't recall this model sounding/feeling this good to me when trying it before - maybe it was, maybe its the new fw - donno, but wow, have to give it a mention.

Last edited:
when I change cabs in axe edit , selecting the # cab number and using the arrow up and down in the keyboard , i have a "ploc" quite everytime I change cabs ( play a note and change to factory cab 2, 266 to 267 )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom