Would you trade...?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
My buddy has a basically unplayed 2018 Fender American Elite Stratocaster HSS with OHSC. It's got the Shawbucker and Noiseless single coils.

I've got a 2016 PRS CE-24 with PRS gig bag that I rarely play. It's just not my thing...

I'm debating a trade... Obviously I would want to play it first since I no experience with that guitar.

Curious what you guys think?

Do you want a Strat?

As far as the Strat goes, unless they've made huge leaps in the quality of the sound of the noiseless pickups, I'd end up swapping them out, and at that point, if the Shawbucker didn't feel right it'd go. So then, effectively, the trade would have been for the body and parts and some of the wiring. That's what I ended up doing with my American Deluxe because the pickups and the S-1 switching did nothing for me.

I did a similar swap years ago and ended up with a custom built Strat-alike that was nicely made along the lines of an early 60s model, and after changing out the pickups I was much happier with the sound but I still didn't bond with it enough so I gave it to my son-in-law who uses it regularly.

It's a hard thing to answer for someone else.

Do you want a Strat?

As far as the Strat goes, unless they've made huge leaps in the quality of the sound of the noiseless pickups, I'd end up swapping them out, and at that point, if the Shawbucker didn't feel right it'd go. So then, effectively, the trade would have been for the body and parts and some of the wiring. That's what I ended up doing with my American Deluxe because the pickups and the S-1 switching did nothing for me.

I did a similar swap years ago and ended up with a custom built Strat-alike that was nicely made along the lines of an early 60s model, and after changing out the pickups I was much happier with the sound but I still didn't bond with it enough so I gave it to my son-in-law who uses it regularly.

It's a hard thing to answer for someone else.
I've never actually owned a Strat or spent much time playing them... I am usually an HSS guy but I have been contemplating an SSS for a while since I don't have one... Although this is not that, either :)

I know it's primarily a personal preference thing... I think the trade value is probably even.

I'll need to play it to see...

My buddy has a basically unplayed 2018 Fender American Elite Stratocaster HSS with OHSC. It's got the Shawbucker and Noiseless single coils.

I've got a 2016 PRS CE-24 with PRS gig bag that I rarely play. It's just not my thing...

I'm debating a trade... Obviously I would want to play it first since I no experience with that guitar.

Thinking about it more…

The CE-24 is a candidate for selling, so, why not do the trade. You might like the Strat and want to keep it or you might not, in which case it's basically the same situation, and it becomes the candidate for selling.

I have a couple PRS that are Strat-like and a couple real Strats, because there's enough difference between the PRS and the Strats that if I want to nail the Strat sound I can. That's my justification for keeping them. At the same time, I never play them because they're too finicky when the seasons change whereas the PRS are stable as can be. My goal is to sell the Strats and buy one of the PRS Fiore or maybe the Silver Sky, and have only PRS, but that's my particular bent.

I'd make the trade only because you aren't playing the PRS and you never know, you might get some new inspiration from the strat.

That said, I had that strat, and never connected with it. I've also not really liked the PRS guitars I've had either. I'm not a strat hater, in that right now, my current #1 is a strat I'm having fun with. It just has to be the right strat I guess. Who knows, maybe there is a PRS out there I'd enjoy as well, but I kind of doubt it. It's sort of like Les Pauls. At some point, I just had to give up and realize that no matter how much I want to like them, I just don't.

I have played both Stratocaster elite guitars I bought the SSS versa the HSS I liked them both but SSS model was what I liked best but it was a close call for me.
It took some adjustments to get it were I like it but the sound to me is really smooth sounding to me for a lack of anything better to say.

I say go play that Strat if the price is the same no brainer nothing to lose and if at the end of the day you don’t care for it look for another trade. And not a fan of gig bags hard shell flight cases are the only way to go for me.
Good Luck they are great guitars.

If it is collecting dust, and the Strat plays well, trade it. Any adjustments you decide after a while are needed to the Strat to make it fit better for your sound are a separate issue. Also, not a thing wrong with rosewood board Strats....

One of mine is rosewood, the other has a roasted maple neck and fingerboard. The rosewood is a darker sounding guitar and works great for jazz, R&B and blues stuff. It’ll quack but it’s a more musical sound than the maple one. I’d definitely pick the rosewood if I could only have one.

Same. Strats and Teles with maple boards are just so snappy. I prefer the subtle attenuation of
the treble that Rosewoods offers on a Strat.

That's what I was afraid of...chances are I would feel the same way. I don't care much for fender necks either. Damn all these years of wizard necks 😂
A Wizard neck they are definitely not!

I'm really enjoying my DK-24 more than the Wizards and they are bigger than that.

My Strat has an ebony board with SS frets, courtesy of Warmoth. It's somewhere between maple and rosewood - snappy, but a little smoother, and you get the nice wood feel under the frets....
Did you just put a Warmoth neck on a fender strat? Or is the whole thing Warmoth? I probably try about it, don't remember.

Back
Top Bottom