EQ individual IRs?

MartyCMega

Hello! I’m a new axe fx 3 owner and I have a question regarding what seems to be the only thing this unit can’t do.

I was watching Eric Valentines video (sound on sound) where he breaks down his recording set up for the slash records he’s done. At one point he shows you the EQ that he uses on each of the mics used (57,421,121,c12) and it makes a huge difference to the tone he gets, obviously. I have some great cab IRs from OH and Celestion that give me the sound from the previously mentioned mics, but BEFORE the eq tweaks. Is there any way to either a) eq the cabs in the unit, or b) eq the IRs in a 3rd party software and then export them back into the axe fx 3? Many thanks! (Sorry if Leon has already done a video on this 😂)

Maybe I’m not understanding, but can’t you just use an EQ block to implement any tweaks that you find necessary?

Hi Brian, no i don't think i can do that as I'm trying to use a mix of IRs, one for each mic. Like for instance the R121 has great bottom end so he boosts the lows on that mic, whereas the M421 has a great attack, and the SM57 has the top end. So he's using a mix of the 3 mics for the sound. He adds in the C12 for the lead stuff.

He also makes a point of saying that when recording the slash stuff they used a tried and true method for the mics and that this is how slash has always done it.

So lets say I'm using the axe fx 3 through a DAW like Logic or whatever. I can bypass the cab block on the unit and put an IR on 3 separate tracks inside Logic, each with it's own EQ. Then mix the 3 tracks together and get the tone.

It would be great if i could do it on the unit itself but I think I'm going to have to figure out a way to apply the EQ to the IRs, then make a new IR with the EQ applied..... Somehow? Haha, unfortunately Eric doesn't have IRs available of the real thing.

There has to be a simple way to create a processed IR out of the old one with an eq adjustment in a DAW. Or there might be a clever method of routing hardpanned cabs with two cab blocks, each with 2 hard panned cabs. Apply EQ adjustment. Recombine before output. I'm not sure on that one. It would be nice to have it all in the box

Yeah the high/low cuts don’t give you enough control to do it. I think zedeloc is right that there might be a way to do it inside a DAW. I will go try the hard panned cabs with multiple cab blocks idea as that might work.

You could try this method too. Use an IR loader in your daw instead of your cab block. Hone in your EQ moves with your favorite EQ plugin. Then use that same EQ curve, the raw IR file, and the method shown in this video to create your mix ready EQ-ed IR. Hopefully this will help.

Hello! I’m a new axe fx 3 owner and I have a question regarding what seems to be the only thing this unit can’t do.

I was watching Eric Valentines video (sound on sound) where he breaks down his recording set up for the slash records he’s done. At one point he shows you the EQ that he uses on each of the mics used (57,421,121,c12) and it makes a huge difference to the tone he gets, obviously. I have some great cab IRs from OH and Celestion that give me the sound from the previously mentioned mics, but BEFORE the eq tweaks. Is there any way to either a) eq the cabs in the unit, or b) eq the IRs in a 3rd party software and then export them back into the axe fx 3? Many thanks! (Sorry if Leon has already done a video on this 😂)
You can try IR workshop. This is a tool for editing impulse response files. Not sure if it has an eq, but it does give you more control over the impulse response.

Thanks so much guys, I used the method suggested by zedeloc and I managed to get in the ballpark of what I was aiming for. That was my first attempt at making an IR so I'm sure I'll refine it over time. I will check out the MIKKO and IR workshop for sure as they sound like a little less hassle. Matching EQ for cabs like this has just given this already jam packed unit even more features. Amazing!

I have been wondering about this my self. A good portion of the cabinet ir's have some pointy frequencies. To battle this I've used an EQ after the cab.
I would love to have an EQ inside of cablab other than the high and low pass filters for this reason.

The axe FX and cablab are very high-end, and this would make it even better.
Notch filters should be enough to do this job. I wish I didn't need to use my dawn for this operation. And since the name cablab imply that you should be able to make your own custom cab, this would be an awesome feature

Back
Top Bottom