Wish Wish List: New Amps

What is the Marshall Slash SL5? The AFD100 circuit? The famed GNR rented amp? something else?
The JCM Slash was made when Slash asked Marshall to make him some extra Jubilees. They were able to source enough NOS parts to make around 200 amps and decided to make it their first “signature” amp. Some say it has slightly more low end and gain and others feel it’s identical to their original Jubilee heads. It’s my favorite amp to play in the room.

The AFD is a VERY different animal. That amp lacks fullness and has an abrasive upper midrange and doesn’t have the top end sparkle and edge that the Jubilee/JCM Slash has.

Let's not forget your Trem-O-Verb. :)
That’s my other favorite amp to play in the room. I’ve had five Dual Recs over the years, and this one is hands down the best of the bunch. I brought it to my friend’s studio to compare it to his Rev F and they were nearly indistinguishable, but my Trem-O-Verb just had something a little extra special about it that made my friend immediately search for one on Reverb.

Nothing has the muscle and snarl of a GREAT Marshall (my ‘96 JCM Slash), and nothing is as mean/heavy as a GREAT Dual Rec (my ‘95 Trem-O-Verb). I’d love it if either or both of those found their way into the Fractal.

Sounds like we need to Find a JCM Slash and get it to Cliff

Regarding the Marshall Slash SL5 that I mentioned, It was a very limited run 5 watt amp that Slash wanted for backstage warmup, it has 2 channels a pentode and triode and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. Wondering if the circuits have any relation to the JCM Slash now that you mentioned that amp

I used to have the 16 space refrigerator rack, with a quad preamp and 50/50 power amp. I remember jamming with another guitar player that had a slash marshall (first one) and no matter what I did I could not cut above him no amount of volume would help. That amp just cut like a knife.

That’s my other favorite amp to play in the room. I’ve had five Dual Recs over the years, and this one is hands down the best of the bunch. I brought it to my friend’s studio to compare it to his Rev F and they were nearly indistinguishable, but my Trem-O-Verb just had something a little extra special about it that made my friend immediately search for one on Reverb.

Nothing has the muscle and snarl of a GREAT Marshall (my ‘96 JCM Slash), and nothing is as mean/heavy as a GREAT Dual Rec (my ‘95 Trem-O-Verb). I’d love it if either or both of those found their way into the Fractal.

This has to happen!

A local band opened up for Winger a few months ago. The guitar player had that silver head and the tone blew me away...best tone I've heard in a decade.

ADA MP-1 (and his Chorus)
ADA MP-2 (and his Chorus)
Gallien Krueger 250 ML (yeap: and his Chorus)
Gallien Krueger 2100 SEL (and his... gues what... 😁)
Rockman XP100
Tom Scholz Rockman X100
Rocktron Piranha Preamp
(all channels of each one)

Yes: I'm almost 50 and I loooooove 80s Heavy Metal. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
And I have the AX8 and I love it, but some day...
🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

Pretty much covered some of the things I wanted to say. Although IME of owning a GK 250 ML and a couple of Rockman headphone amps, a lot of that coloration comes from the chorus effects. They're not transparent in the slightest and seem to have their own EQ going on.

I wanted to chime in and add the Marshall 8100, RG100ES/Century, and ISP Theta. They've probably already been brought up, but they're some some highly-regarded SS amps and I absolutely adore the way these amps sound. And I'd rather not have to buy another 8100 and Theta. :D

it would be great if that happened, JCM Slash or real 2555 100w are two amazing amps and many user want it on fractal, but i doubt @FractalAudio will implement these amps in the future, i dont know why...

Agreed. My '00 Mesa Trem-O-Verb is one of the best amps I've ever played. Would love to have it in the Fractal world.

I’ve got an Ironheart 60w head. It’s a unique sounding amp. Cliff is welcome to model that one too if he wants.
I’d like a Laney model for sure. An amp I regret letting go was a Laney GH 50 head i got back in ‘96 or ‘97. It was kind of a one trick pony live since it was mostly a 1 channel design but it was glouriously Rock/Metal for days but not in the way a Marshall, Dual Rec or 5150 is. It had its own thing.

I wonder how much of that dna (if any) made it into the Ironheart?

As per my dedicated thread to this solid state matter plus some tube ones also, here is a summary of my amp requests.

Marshall VS8100. (The circuit was one of the key elements to the James Murphy/Chuck Schulinder solo tone. Also hear the leads on Obituary's cause of death and it will be the most surreal and pure lead tone heard on planet earth. All leads were done that way fed by a TS808 and then whatever loop processing, likely Eventide. Rhythm was Rat pedals to tubes).

Randall RH Solid state preamp section with or without it's transformer power amp. (Identical preamp double gain mode circuit to the Marshall Valvestate 8100 but with more gain. Was a popular circuit to rebrand that somehow ended up made in a chinese plant for OEM for many brands out there small and large to use and rebrand.

Randall Century. Iconic solid state sound, used on The Pantera Far beyond driven record.

Randall Warhead X3 (used on Pantera Reinventing the steel. Finest solid state sound ive ever heard). But it has to be X3 not the regular warhead which was just a photo op for a music video and stage photo op for a very horrendous sounding Warhead standard head.

Randall RG Series. Used on Most Pantera records.

Sansamp PSA-1. Another high gain solid state legend with amazing mid-gain crunch capability.

Rocktron Chameleon (later black version) and Rocktron Voodoo valve (despite a single preamp tube it's still very solid state-like in sound.

Dar FBM100. ( that's basically a tube amp and a solid state amp all in one. Good luck trying to reverse and digitize something like that! Has some sort of crypto clearance technology from the A.F. in it. Project was apparently shut down by authorities for screwing with some sort of FAA protocol. Despite all this, the brand was a total charade.
One can only dream an that will take at least 3 years to figure out a circuit like that and another 1-2 to actualize a digital recreation of it. Assuming you get one that hasn't had a circuit thats been tampered with.
The shenanigans apparently are continuing to this day with that joke brand that's been terminated long ago.

Peavey Transtube solid state preamp (either from the rack or any of the old transtube preamps on those big old bandit combos. Great biting solid state high gain.

VHT/Freyette SigX and Pitbull 100CL. (Their more saturated gain tones than their various dry stiff sounds.

A dedicated Peavey Invective Model.

Randall V2
randall V2 Archetype
Randall T2 Ninja
Randall T2HL
Randall T2
(SS/tube hybrids. Crazy beef on the power amp)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom