Help! New PC, new noise! SOLVED

I got the iDefender+ and I think it works! Without the 5v adapter it reduced the noise but it didn't elliminate it completely. Fortunately it worked with a simple 5v PC adapter connected to it! I tried a different 5v adapter first, that didn't work, but my old phone adapter does work! No noise now but I gotta do some more testing.
This is great news!
I was considering getting the iDefender also but didn’t think it would work with my FM3 and read some horror stories about users frying their interface
Please can you update us and tell us if it is ok?

This is great news!
I was considering getting the iDefender also but didn’t think it would work with my FM3 and read some horror stories about users frying their interface
Please can you update us and tell us if it is ok?

Why would it not work with your FM3? I read a lot about these devices yesterday here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-isilencer-and-idefender.927715/
A lot of people (also on YouTube) seem to be happy with these. I haven't read anything about people frying their interfaces?

Last edited:
There was a YouTube review about the iDefender where the user bought 2 of them and the 1st one caught on fire but luckily didn't damage their PC. The 2nd one worked perfectly.

There was a review where the iDefender actually caused more noise until the external power was connected to it.

While I was watching a bunch of reviews, I found one regarding the interface I have, a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Gen, and they got rid of the noise by updating to the newest driver. I hadn't updated the driver in over a year. I tried it and it actually lowered the noise significantly.

I still want to try an iDefender because I get noise from other devices like my Axe-Fx II XL+ and Line 6 Helix Floor.

@Guitarjon How's your iDefender+ been working?

I got my iDefender+ from Amazon this week and just tested it with my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Gen and it made a noticeable difference when recording guitar direct. I almost don't need a noise gate because I just get normal guitar noise now and no more high pitch static noise. When I move my mouse or scroll webpages, it doesn't make noise anymore either. I tried with and without plugging power into the iDefender+ and it didn't make any difference but I think that's because my Focusrite has it's own external power supply.

@Guitarjon How's your iDefender+ been working?

I got my iDefender+ from Amazon this week and just tested it with my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Gen and it made a noticeable difference when recording guitar direct. I almost don't need a noise gate because I just get normal guitar noise now and no more high pitch static noise. When I move my mouse or scroll webpages, it doesn't make noise anymore either. I tried with and without plugging power into the iDefender+ and it didn't make any difference but I think that's because my Focusrite has it's own external power supply.

Mine has been great! It makes a HUGE difference for me when I'm routing my tube amps through the Axe Fx. Super clean and low noise! I would encourage you to try some different adapters and also the cables of the adapters. It did make a difference in my case. Without the adapter the iDefender made the noise less, but with the right adapter the noise goes away completely!

Mine has been great! It makes a HUGE difference for me when I'm routing my tube amps through the Axe Fx. Super clean and low noise! I would encourage you to try some different adapters and also the cables of the adapters. It did make a difference in my case. Without the adapter the iDefender made the noise less, but with the right adapter the noise goes away completely!

What do you mean by adapters and cables?

Also, you should make a YouTube video of your setup with the iDefender+ because I'm sure it will be very helpful for a lot of people just like all your other Sonic Drive Studio videos. The iDefender+ is the 1st device that's actually worked for me and was only $59 which is cheaper than most other devices I've tried like DI Boxes and Isolation DI Boxes like the ART DTI (Dual Transformer Isolator), which didn't work and changed the sound.

Interesting post - thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Please clarify what you mean by adapters and cables.

Last edited:
You can power the iDefender with a phone adapter. That improved the sound quality for me as opposed to not using an adapter.
@Guitarjon I have to thank you again for all the help and info you've shared! The iFi iDefender+ has resolved all the USB noise issues I've been plagued with for decades.

I had tried so many devices in the past that never worked. I even made my own power strip out of electrical boxes, outlets and 12 AWG Type NM-B Romex cable thinking that maybe the power strips I was using had cheap components or poor ground connections but even that didn't get rid of the noise.

The iFi iDefender+ has worked with my Axe-Fx II XL+, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Gen, Line 6 POD Studio UX2 and Helix Floor. I've only had to use my phone's USB C power adapter with it when using my Line 6 POD Studio UX2 because it gets it's power from the USB cable and doesn't have an external power adapter.

@Guitarjon I have to thank you again for all the help and info you've shared! The iFi iDefender+ has resolved all the USB noise issues I've been plagued with for decades.

I had tried so many devices in the past that never worked. I even made my own power strip out of electrical boxes, outlets and 12 AWG Type NM-B Romex cable thinking that maybe the power strips I was using had cheap components or poor ground connections but even that didn't get rid of the noise.

The iFi iDefender+ has worked with my Axe-Fx II XL+, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Gen, Line 6 POD Studio UX2 and Helix Floor. I've only had to use my phone's USB C power adapter with it when using my Line 6 POD Studio UX2 because it gets it's power from the USB cable and doesn't have an external power adapter.

With my Axe Fx III the adapter still really helps despite already having power. I also have it connect to a mixer before my monitors and I've noticed than if I connect another device like my helix to the mixer (on or off) there still is some noise leaking through. So ideally those devices should also go through a separate IDefender.

Thanks guys. Gonna grab one of these. The little red dooo-hickey, right?? :)

Would there possibly be a cheaper alternative? The iDefender is also currently unavailable on Amazon. I found this one for cheap but no idea if it would work

Amazon product ASIN B096YGYFCT
@la szum This is what you'll need but they're currently out of stock.
Amazon product ASIN B0849J33T9
@Exeter That won't work because USB 2.0 High Speed Devices are not supported, which all Audio Interfaces need and it doesn't have a way to connect an external power source to it, so it probably won't work with USB powered devices and probably disconnects the ground which isn't safe.

Sorry to bump but regarding the iDefender + did you get the type A to A or C to C connection for use with the FM3?

You can power the iDefender with a phone adapter. That improved the sound quality for me as opposed to not using an adapter.
Thank you for providing this information. Having an external power helps in removing the computer noises that I hear.

Back
Top Bottom