2014 120th Les Paul Standard

EdgE

Fractal Fanatic
So I've been a Floyd Rose and Ibanez player for 40 plus years and had a Les Paul in my late teens and got rid of it. So after 40 years I traded a couple guitars and got a beautiful Les Paul , love the tone ,love the options with the push pull knobs ,but the freaking thing doesn't stay in tune for shit. what I have done so far, top wound the stings ,nut lube and angled the d and g with a nut file at an angle ,it is better ,but not like a Floyd or Ibanez . Is this just the nature of the beast or are there other solutions .I love the guitar ,the tone is great . any suggestions would be great Thanks MarkDDC04516-C567-4F6E-B595-0FBB1542211F_1_105_c.jpeg

I have a 2121 Gibson Les paul standard that don't have push pull and I love it without the push pull because after owning both I feel you loose all the balls that the les paul is known for. I feel it changes the tone makes it more thinner sounding with the push pull but that's my opinion.

Most of the time it's the nut. The combo of the excessive break angle of the headstock and the position of the tuning posts makes for a metric crap ton of friction and binding in the inner string slots. D and G are typically the worst. You could try a String Butler. I've not personally used one, but others have had good luck with them in this regard.

mr_fender yes I've heard of the string butter ,and Holbet71, the single coil push pulls don't do any thing for me ,but the out of phase is interesting and the bridge tone pulled up is full on, bypasses the tone and any any volume pots ,so I could have both volumes at 3 and pull bridge tone and full volume bypassing the tone, which I like

I have a 2014 LP Traditional that I didn't like the tuners, electronics or pickups. I put in Graph Tech's Ratio Locking Tuned Machine Heads. Tuning problem solved. Put in the Emerson Les Paul Prewired kit, problem solved. Final piece: installed Seymour Duncan Antiquity humbuckers, non-potted pickups and the guitar sings...it sounds like I lifted the blanket off the sound and stays in tune for weeks!

Most things have been said above. But; tune UP to pitch is super important with Grovers because of the huge backlash . They feel smooth but they IME are the worst brand for this. The other thing is properly installed strings (no overlap with locking tuners) and a perfect nut.

I have a 1982 Gibson "V" called "The V" which I could never get to stay in tune. The solution a graphite nut (cut right of coarse) made a world of difference. But I still use a nut lube. I never really had complaints with my Les Paul's but put graphite nuts on those also made a difference there also.

I have solved the problem, so I got a new bridge and a tusq xl nut.figured I didn't have experience working on Les Pauls,brought it to a Luthier. he had to demel out the holes in the tone pro ,he said he thought the nut was ok. It wasn't got it home the setup sucked ,still when out of tune just as bad .
I said ok ,I'll fix it , ordered bridge settles for original bridge, the nut need to be shimmed , made a 1/64 mahogany ,glued to bottom of nut install.
stays it tune almost perfectly.
So I spent 69.00 for bridge I don't use, which was not as wide as original ,45.00 for luthier, guitar was as bad and set up terribly,Lesson learned ,I can do it myself:)
thanks for the tips

Yea Moke ,already been looking into that , was going to go that way. All my other guitars either Floyd or Ibanez edge trems . I think the les Paul is a different beast, I think I’ll keep her just like she is . The les Paul is so different sounding than all my other guitars. Can sound vintage and modern and now that it stays in tune ,it’s fun to play 🎸😎

Back
Top Bottom