RTFM - Read The FINE Manual!

It's time for another bump.

I've been involved in the Internet since it was called ARPANet/DARPANet. I got to see it move from Telnet and FTP through Gopher, played with the early browser and HTML… on and on. And, as a result of working in that environment, I learned to read the documentation that came with a machine, an application, a code library or set of include files, because there was no online community to fall back on, at least not until mail lists and IRC and similar servers showed up. We learned to be self-reliant and read, even if it meant combing through source code reading the comments, because we wanted to know how to use the tools available.

I recently spewed this… screed….

While “RTFM” responses might initially seem unfriendly or too terse, there’s a really good reason people need to read the manuals, several times, along with The Wiki and the Tech Notes.

These are much more complex machines than their competition and questions are inevitable, and, having awareness that the information needed exists in those places sets up a quick scan of the TOC or a search of the contents, and within seconds we can have the answer, without typing in a long-winded question leading to multiple games of 20 questions being played at once as we try to understand the problem and grasp at solutions. I spent years in tech-support, and most questions are answered in the manual, then with a little ingenuity, applied specifically to a situation much more quickly than a question can be typed.

The “regulars” do get tired of elementary questions that are answered in the manuals. These aren’t door knobs or rotary-dial phones that are extremely intuitive objects, they require the user invest some time in becoming familiar with how they work in order to use them effectively. When a question is asked that is clearly answered in the manual, then the fastest solution is to refer someone to the manual and page, without regurgitating that information once again in the forum. The duplication of information, and the constantly reoccurring basic questions in the forums show that people are not investing time in learning how to use their machines. Too many want perfect plug and play while being extremely customizable, and the two seldom mix, so it’s on the user to pick up the slack. We’re not being mean when we say to RTFM, we’re trying to be efficient and help as many people as possible. Of course courtesy and friendliness are prerequisites too.

The average question asked in the forum initially tells us little that is useful, so knowing what to say is important. This is a summary of things I follow and recommend when figuring something out and asking for help:
  1. Always try several times to solve the problem yourself. Keep track of what you tried, and why it failed.
  2. Consult the documentation mentioned above, then try step #1 multiple times again, until you’re frustrated beyond belief, then go play your guitar and ruminate on what you read. Go to #1 again.
  3. After a couple days if you still haven’t figured it out, then create a message in the appropriate sub-forum. Take the time to put it in the right place if you want the fastest responses. Remember, we can tell if someone actually cared enough about fixing the problem by doing this step right.
  4. Clearly and succinctly describe the places you searched, what pertinent information seemed like it’d help and why it didn’t help. This tells us you tried to help yourself, what you did and possibly what you DIDN’T do that you should have, and it lets us get to the solution much faster. We don’t want to suggest things you already tried as it wastes both of our time.
  5. Since the majority of problems are related to using a preset, EXPORT IT AND ATTACH IT TO YOUR POST at the top of the thread. Again, this shows us you tried, but even more important, it lets us immediately look into it to see if you did things correctly, and we’re all starting from the same place and talking about the same thing. Failing to do this leads to pages of guesses and back and forth questions and answers, so be preemptive and include the actual preset. It also often helps to include the system+global+fc backup file in case we need to duplicate your machine’s settings. They say a picture is worth 10,000 words, and usually it is, but the preset and system information is worth 1,000,000 words. Don’t bother with a screen snapshot of the preset because we can already see the same information, along with all the other information, and possibly even correct the problem and return the fixed version. If the problem is a UI issue then include a photo of the front-panel, or the editor’s screen, with the problem highlighted somehow.
  6. Save the message and stay involved in the progress of the thread, answering questions about it as quickly as possible. Keep reading the documents as we suggest them because you might be able to put things together that we can’t. You are the owner of the problem and know what you tried; a good question’s preamble helps us, but only you know the complete story. Being involved in the thread is important because those who ask a question then disappear get a reputation for ghosting us and get fewer responses over time. And remember, if we have your preset in front of us we can look for ourselves and make educated suggestions instead of trying to imagine what you did.
The editor contains the Snapshot Tool, which is the camera icon on the layout page. Find it, learn it, use it, love it. It’s very useful when building a preset, testing it, or debugging problems.

And, if we say “read page n” in one of the manuals, don’t take it personally. Over the years I bounced off many modelers and multi-effects units, and ended up on Fractal because the units have so much depth to them, but the esoterica leads to a long learning curve. The manuals are well written and the Wiki has a lot of curated information from various forums that gets into the deep magic. I periodically reread the manuals and Wiki because each time some knowledge will click with something else and I get better at using the machine.

Why Won't We Read the Manual?
Why You Should Always Read The Instruction Manual
Seven Reasons People Don’t Read Instructions
Paradox of the active user

So… RTFM to know what's in it and to learn how things work; It's the absolutely fastest path to get help.

And GOMFL! ;)
"Get off my fucking lawn!"

Last edited:
Or just be civil, and realize we were all beginner's once.
Not to mention there are some that really aren't interested in knowing the unit inside and out. Also not all musicians are technologically inclined. Some people dont have a passion for hardware....just a passion for writing and playing music. The hardware is just a necessary evil. Why wouldn't you want to help a fellow artist along on their quest even with the most basic of questions?

Especially if they ask nicely.

Not to mention there are some that really aren't interested in knowing the unit inside and out. Also not all musicians are technologically inclined. Some people dont have a passion for hardware....just a passion for writing and playing music. The hardware is just a necessary evil. Why wouldn't you want to help a fellow artist along on their quest even with the most basic of questions?

Especially if they ask nicely.
I think there's a lot of help like that dispensed around here already.

However, this gear IS technical and will require some level of competence to operate it. That just goes hand in hand with the hardware... And getting familiar with the manuals will go a long way towards that.

Remember when we got VCRs and nobody programmed the clocks? They can still watch the tapes or even record something in real time... But what about when they want to record a show when they aren't going to be home? You can do that with a timer BUT you have to know first how to set the clock and then how to set the timer. In order to use more than the rudimentary features you have to learn how they work.

The Fractal stuff is much more complex than a VCR :)

Another thing is that I think it's often hard for technical people to understand why non-technical have such a hard time with things like manuals... I personally try to be understanding of that.

I will often post a screenshot of the relevant manual entry with a small amount of info and wait to see if additional questions come out of that.

I'm also big on the "teach a man to fish" philosophy!

Another thing is that I think it's often hard for technical people to understand why non-technical have such a hard time with things like manuals...
This. So many people (especially IT and tech people, me included) have a hard time understanding that most people are not like them and do not learn the way they do. For most people, reading a reference manual cover to cover, is a terrible way to learn.

But the fact is sometimes, when people are asking a lot of questions that get RTFM replies, maybe the problem is not the people asking the questions. Maybe the problem is the way the information is presented. I mentioned specific ideas about how to improve the situation earlier in this thread.

P.S. I think it's worth mentioning the way you, unix-guy, insert the relevant section of the manual in your replies is, I think, a good way to help people in many cases.

As a relative newcomer to the FM3 and to this forum, and also as a professional IT techy guy (software and system architect), I find this forum very helpful and I agree with the RTFM guidance - to a point. I am also a luthier and own my own guitar repair and manufacturing shop so I am accustomed to learning and teaching myself new things. The problem is that some folks just don’t learn like that and don’t comprehend the written word as well as others. They need some hand-holding to get started on the journey. Other folks are just plain lazy and want to be spoon fed. It’s hard to tell the difference sometimes so we should try and give folks the benefit of the doubt until they prove to be one or the other. I myself am somewhere in that mix. I downloaded and read th manual several times before I received the unit and it gave me an idea but until I started pressing buttons it was pretty abstract. What is really super helpful are the videos by Leon, Burgs and others, and that fantastic wiki. After spending some time with those and then consulting with the fine folks here like Unix-man I feel like I have a decent grip on it now. With the manual as a guide I feel comfortable and I think I am asking more advanced questions. i am no newbie to modeling tech and the fact is that these boxes are deep machines. They require dedication to get the goods out of them which is what struck me immediately on day one. It was you all who have helped me and pointed me right and I am grateful for that. Keep it up and let’s be nice to the new newbies who are inevitably going to show up here after Santa comes and deposits their new toys. Merry Christmas all and thank you!
-Frank

All we really need is a chatGPT front-end to the editor. Just describe your tone in 27 different languages and bingo blocks are linked up for you, parameters are set automatically, and Bob's your cousin's uncle. Hell it should even be able to recommend the right wine to go with our tone, order pizza, find gigs, schedule groupies, etc.

Manual Shmanual - that's so 2010's! :cool:

Only half kidding in the sense that is what the young-ins will expect soon enough. But I wasn't kidding about the scheduling groupies part.

Some of my insights would be ...

(1) Rename RTFM to CTFM (Consult)
It's way less inflammatory and more justifiable.
I'm sure many experts don't even read the entire manuals for some subjects or software. The amount of info can be VAST.

(2) If you use Acrobat Reader you can do a Ctrl + Shift + F (on PC) search which will show you Google like results -- great when consulting documents. You can even go through a folder of manuals and printed page PDFs, and with the paid version you can even index them for near-immediate results (the free version can also use that index file, so I suspect you could legally share it all bundled).
If you've never seen that dialog. it is described here...
http://www.solartiming.com/researcher-tips.php

(3) People who jump in to help others with "stupid questions" are actually teaching these people that it's no problem to do that, helping to create the problem... (sure, there is a difference between questions) I've done and regretted it myself...
If too many people become like, "I know I'm being lazy, but someone will serve me anyway," we are developing a problem...

(4) Many people just like attention and panic if they don't have a few active threads going on every day.
One advantage is you may often learn interesting things that are not in the manuals...

(5) Many have Learned Helplessness and require extreme handholding for every little thing...
To a great extent, social engineering programs us this way ("If you're sick, go to the doctor," etc.).
We are taught not to think and leave things to "authorities"...
https://raypeat.com/articles/articles/dark-side-of-stress-learned-helplessness.shtml

(6) Then there is an age aspect. You too will hopefully reach an age where you are more easily overwhelmed and everything new looks like Chinese to you... It's great to both understand that and/or graciously receive help from cool people. Much of it is in how you address these people and showing how you made an effort, or are willing to...

Last edited:
I'm sure many experts don't even read the entire manuals for some subjects or software. The amount of info can be VAST.
If you are going to shorten it that way for the reasons stated, I think you want CTM for "consult the manual." And while some have chosen it as a hill to die on, quoting the eternal Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what [some] think it means." ;-) (And to be clear, that's not directed at the "Master of RTFM." :)

For those of us that find relief in sharing higher level creative ideas with folks that do consult the manuals, and who enjoy learning while helping, impressive the general thoughtfulness of the community here.

While there is a fair amount of pummel the brainstormer (generally contrary to the concept of brainstorming) and "why do you want to know that," that happens, overall I salute the diversity of musicians communicating here! 🖖

Last edited:
RTFM is common vernacular...

In that context, I don't think anyone actually means to read the entire manual. They mean to read the relevant part(s) of the manual.

(2) If you use Acrobat Reader you can do a Ctrl + Shift + F (on PC) search which will show you Google like results -- great when consulting documents. You can even go through a folder of manuals and printed page PDFs, and with the paid version you can even index them for near-immediate results (the free version can also use that index file, so I suspect you could legally share it all bundled).
You can also search fairly easily within a web browser. I do this all the time on iPad or iPhone.

(3) People who jump in to help others with "stupid questions" are actually teaching these people that it's no problem to do that, helping to create the problem... (sure, there is a difference between questions)
It definitely reinforces the behavior, which is why my method is to try and answer with a reference to the manual as well.

Hopefully that helps guide then towards self help in the future.

(4) Many people just like attention and panic if they don't have a few active threads going on every day.
One advantage is you may often learn interesting things that are not in the manuals...
There's always more to learn...
(5) Many have Learned Helplessness and require extreme handholding for every little thing...
To a great extent, social engineering programs us this way ("If you're sick, go to the doctor," etc.).
We are taught not to think and leave things to "authorities"...
https://raypeat.com/articles/articles/dark-side-of-stress-learned-helplessness.shtml
And many are also just lazy...

How many people never programmed the clock on their VCRs? ;)

On the other hand, unless you were scheduling a recording, what was the point?

RTFM is common vernacular...

In that context, I don't think anyone actually means to read the entire manual. They mean to read the relevant part(s) of the manual.

You can also search fairly easily within a web browser. I do this all the time on iPad or iPhone.

It definitely reinforces the behavior, which is why my method is to try and answer with a reference to the manual as well.

Hopefully that helps guide then towards self help in the future.

There's always more to learn...

And many are also just lazy...

How many people never programmed the clock on their VCRs? ;)

On the other hand, unless you were scheduling a recording, what was the point?
What's a VCR?

Some of my insights would be ...

Seriously? Do you mean this in the way of people getting triggered by the acronym? Not sure what the reasoning is here. No need to change it. RTFM is perfect. Inflammatory? 🤣

Back
Top Bottom