Attached a Preset, how does it sound for you?

Marduk33

So ive been getting alot of help here, and from LT youtube videos. I basically copied a preset he did.
I played around with it and made alot of changes (gotta learn right).

Just want to make Scene 01 sound good in palm mutes.
Still got a problem to compensate for the thin sound when i low cut the boomy palm mutes.

Have i approached the PEQ blocks & Multi-comp wrong? Maybe shouldve lowered lower FQ and mid-high only in one of the blocks?
I read somewhere about increasing bass AFTER amp+cab, but how does that work?
Did increase BASS in last totally flat CAB but yea, started to boom again.

Im starting to think its Ibanez stock QH pickups thats bothering me tone-wise. (pretty bold to say as i have never tried any others)
But since when im copying LT presets, it sounds nothing like that (single notes), thats why i think my stock pickups has its tone already there
and i can only sculpture it.

OUT 1 EQ Setup:
31 -0.25 | 63 -1.25 | 125 -3.00 | 250 -1.00

TLDR/To be clear; palm mute sound's still bugging me, do you see anything in there i can improve without getting it too thin?
Normal playing it sounds somewhat good for me. Ignore Pitch, 3rd PEQ, Reverb, Delay.
EDIT: Okey normal playing sounds pretty awful, its my inexperienced ears that think it sounds good.
Someone wanna help fine-tune it and maybe explain what sounds off overall?

Attachments

• Experim.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Anything like these for palm mutes, basically anything thats not too thin..

EDIT:

This was the best i could do, recorded how it sounds as for now. Pm while moving my palm.

Last edited:
So I tried out your preset and made some changes just to Scene 1. I'll try and walk you through what I did. Bear in mind this all subjective so it may not sound better to anybody else lol.

1.) Disabled everything but the amp and first cab (I also muted the the second duplicate cab in the cab block). You picked out a pretty decent IR which is super important for the chugs.

2.) Backed the master volume on the amp way down, I think it sounds best when you still have some headroom left. From my understanding you want less poweramp distortion for metal tones.

3.) I also set everything else on the amp block to noon and left the presence and depth where they were, it sounded fine at those values. The amp level was also set really low, I set it at the default -12 then turned down the level in the Output block to compensate.

4.) I changed the drive block type to the Maxoff 808, drive at 0 and everything else at noon. Don't be afraid to change the mix knob. Drive pedals can color the tone quite a bit and sometimes you just want some of that in the signal path to tighten up the tone.

Try this out with the drive and m-comp both disabled to start. It's very usuable without both but it also works with any combination of those engaged. I've had my Axe for a couple years and am still learning how to dial in metal tones. Let me know how this works out!

Attachments

• Experim Edit.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
So I tried out your preset and made some changes just to Scene 1. I'll try and walk you through what I did. Bear in mind this all subjective so it may not sound better to anybody else lol.

1.) Disabled everything but the amp and first cab (I also muted the the second duplicate cab in the cab block). You picked out a pretty decent IR which is super important for the chugs.

2.) Backed the master volume on the amp way down, I think it sounds best when you still have some headroom left. From my understanding you want less poweramp distortion for metal tones.

3.) I also set everything else on the amp block to noon and left the presence and depth where they were, it sounded fine at those values. The amp level was also set really low, I set it at the default -12 then turned down the level in the Output block to compensate.

4.) I changed the drive block type to the Maxoff 808, drive at 0 and everything else at noon. Don't be afraid to change the mix knob. Drive pedals can color the tone quite a bit and sometimes you just want some of that in the signal path to tighten up the tone.

Try this out with the drive and m-comp both disabled to start. It's very usuable without both but it also works with any combination of those engaged. I've had my Axe for a couple years and am still learning how to dial in metal tones. Let me know how this works out!

Thank you so much for your efforts, i actually sat and played with it for a good couple of hours before bed. I think it sounds good!
Ive also come to the conclusion it might be my strings 10-46 fabric, standard E tuning and perhaps pickups thats making it hard to get the chug noises im after.

About the mix, so thats how much it affects/colour the tone the higher it is?

Just about any guitar with a humbucker can get a decent chug tone, even with really old/dead strings on it and no matter the tuning. Several bands play in standard E or drop D and are heavy (Sylosis and Lamb of God both come to mind). Your right hand has ALOT to do with it.

The mix parameter changes how much of that particular block is effecting the rest of the signal. So you can get the benefits of a boost in front of the amp to tighten up the tone with less of the coloration by turning down the mix.

Just about any guitar with a humbucker can get a decent chug tone, even with really old/dead strings on it and no matter the tuning. Several bands play in standard E or drop D and are heavy (Sylosis and Lamb of God both come to mind). Your right hand has ALOT to do with it.

The mix parameter changes how much of that particular block is effecting the rest of the signal. So you can get the benefits of a boost in front of the amp to tighten up the tone with less of the coloration by turning down the mix.

True. I pick the strings pretty hard with my wrist, while pm right after the bridge.

With help what knobs to turn i got the combo boss katana 100 to get those heavy chugs instantly though, thats whats confusing me.
Maybe i just have to turn up the volume but are to afraid destroying the studio monitors 😁

Thanks for the explanation!

Back
Top Bottom