Grrrrrrrr Microsoft!!!!

Something else that could be worth considering, if you can virtualize your primary workstations, you can automate periodic snapshotting (including RAM) in your hypervisor, so if you do find that something has happened, you can simply revert to the latest known good snapshot and continue on from that point in time.

There must be a setting somewhere in the OS. I don’t remember changing anything when I updated to Windows 10 or since, but I have never had it reboot or begin an install while I had an application running. It always gives me a warning that I have updates downloaded and ready to install. The message asks do I want to specify a time later to install or do I want to power down now and install. But it gives me a choice, it does not just immediately go into the install routine. The other common experience related to updates is that very often I will shut down and I get a message that Widows is installing updates - Do Not Power Down. Generally it shows a rotating circle of dots and counts up to 30% and then shuts down. When I power back up it picks up installing where it left off and counts the rest of the way up to 100% and then loads the OS.

I am in no way defending M$, but I have to say they have never insisted an update in the middle of my work without first giving me an option to shut things down. There must be a setting some place.
Yep, I always get an alert down in the system tray letting me know there’s an update waiting. Never had it just start installing like that, on any version of Windows. Weird.

It might cost some money upfront, but if you can put your computer on a domain (which is probably a good idea for a company anyway), you should be able to control things like this completely through Group Policy and update management software like WSUS or similar.

Eh, it's been at least a decade since Windows was really like that... unless of course you buy a laptop from a big box store like Wal-Mart or Best Buy or wherever, where Windows comes preinstalled along with dozens of temporary / shareware / "trial versions" of awful, shady, unstable bloatware on top of the standard OS. Macs would be unstable too if Apple allowed resellers to do that.

Windows is pretty solid these days if you install it yourself.
Firstly, I build my own PC systems and have been for the last 16 years or so. My first build was '05.
Secondly, I do buy the license.
Third, the only thing I use a PC for at this point is flight and space simulation (because I have to otherwise I wouldn't), which requires a lot of third party apps and peripherals made by companies who are constantly chasing Microsoft's BS to keep their stuff working. They are CONSTANTLY in the trenches taking grenades...

... just like the OP, who's just trying to run a business and live his life.

giphy.gif

Is it really too much to ask to simply warn the user that the OS needs an update (you know, like Apple does)?

Apparently it is. So the OS just updates whenever M$ feels it is necessary despite a 20 page document being open with complicated equations that took me several days to author. Fortunately I didn't lose much work but the outcome could've been a lot worse.
Sry to hear of your MS troubles. I was kind of particular about Apple because of their good technical support, and that I was able to cultivate a good relationship regards the folks with whom I do business.

Sometimes, MS is so involved in the business aspect of things that it forgets serving the customers needs. I learned early on that the "seeds" that are being planted today may or may not grow to maturity unless they are nurtured. And since most everything depends on growth, we need to consider how we cultivate.

Regards the beauty of Apple products, all you need to do to turn off automatic OS updates is uncheck the box in System Preferences > Software Updates. To update your OS, you routinely visit System Prefs and manually click Update.

Apps that are owned from the App Store provide notifications that ask if you'd like to update the apps, and unless you've previously configured the App Store to automatically update, the apps simply remain as icons in the App store with tabs stating Update, or Update All.

Although I'm not affiliated with Apple, my personal experience with their products have saved me resources, time and effort. Which leaves much better things for me to do, like buy food at the store, or have enough gas in my tank. Um, you do know what I said regards "seeds," didn't you?

Another windows bashing thread?
The definition of insanity, is, doing the exact same thing over and over again, i.e using windows, expecting s~ to change.
Get an Mac, use Linux... or disable your updates.

That's one of many reasons I love Apple and despise Microsoft.
Apple will let you go decades with the same OS and never harass you about anything. You just find out when software updates come out and your system doesn't support it.

Based on a Unix-type kernel, the Mach kernel. It can run for months and months without an issue.

Windows on the other hand, everything comes to a screeching fkn halt and catch fire when you don't get the latest dumbass driver to replace some meaningless WHQL certificate of some such nonsense. Nothing ever works the same way twice. Everything you try to use needs an update to continue. If something doesn't start in the right sequence good fkn luck, berch - you're starting all over again. It's always been so full of memory leaks and trash background processes that if you leave it unattended for more than a bathroom break it will probably lock up.

I really hate Microsoft.

I've been using Windows primarily on the desktop since the mid 90's. I've never had "everything come to a screeching halt and catch fire" (figuratively or literally) when I didn't get the latest driver. I generally don't ever need to update drivers. I can't remember the last time I intentionally updated a driver. I've supported TENS OF THOUSANDS of computers for HUNDREDS of companies during that time, I don't remember ever having a computer come to a "screeching halt" because it didn't get the latest driver. Occasionally you might have some particular reason to update a driver- an application had a conflict or ran better with an updated driver. Screeching halt? "C'mon man."

I guess the post was for humor? I don't get it.

Updates suck but we're living in a world where anything that connects to the internet pretty much has to get constant security updates if you don't want them to be attacked or used in attacks. Apple patches regularly as well. Everybody that is trying to stay in business patches regularly.

I wish we could go back to 1995.

Yep, I always get an alert down in the system tray letting me know there’s an update waiting. Never had it just start installing like that, on any version of Windows. Weird.

If you ignore or defer it long enough, it will finally force it. People will ignore it forever and then scream how insecure it is when they are attacked. Its like that joke where the guy complains to God about how he let him die in a flood and God says "You dummy- I sent you three boats and a helicopter!"

Another windows bashing thread?
The definition of insanity, is, doing the exact same thing over and over again, i.e using windows, expecting s~ to change.
Get an Mac, use Linux... or disable your updates.
Except with Windows you can only disable updates for 35 days. I’ve tried to disable it, but it still forces the update. On my personal Macs it depends on the machine, so for my MacBook running Mainstage and never connecting to the Internet, stability is great, but other machines are up to date. I like having the choice as to update or not.

Last night I tried to change one button on my Logitech universal remote. Instead, the entire device is now entirely less functional for good because their control app is not updated for modern Mac or Windows OSes. So rather than warning me about this, it locked the device, forced me to reset it, and blew away all my custom programming, which the new app cannot restore or reinstall because it contains deprecated features.

Technology may march on, but sometimes it drives us in front of it like prisoners of war.

Last night I tried to change one button on my Logitech universal remote. Instead, the entire device is now entirely less functional for good because their control app is not updated for modern Mac or Windows OSes. So rather than warning me about this, it locked the device, forced me to reset it, and blew away all my custom programming, which the new app cannot restore or reinstall because it contains deprecated features.

Technology may march on, but sometimes it drives us in front of it like prisoners of war.
Don't get me started on those fancy touchscreen Logitech remotes. One the biggest wastes of dinero in my lifetime. :mad:

You're forgetting the step where you had to replace the batteries again when you just did that two days ago.

I've been using Windows primarily on the desktop since the mid 90's. I've never had "everything come to a screeching halt and catch fire" (figuratively or literally) when I didn't get the latest driver. I generally don't ever need to update drivers. I can't remember the last time I intentionally updated a driver. I've supported TENS OF THOUSANDS of computers for HUNDREDS of companies during that time, I don't remember ever having a computer come to a "screeching halt" because it didn't get the latest driver. Occasionally you might have some particular reason to update a driver- an application had a conflict or ran better with an updated driver. Screeching halt? "C'mon man."

I guess the post was for humor? I don't get it.

Updates suck but we're living in a world where anything that connects to the internet pretty much has to get constant security updates if you don't want them to be attacked or used in attacks. Apple patches regularly as well. Everybody that is trying to stay in business patches regularly.

I wish we could go back to 1995.
I don't expect everyone to get the way I write, and I don't intend to spend a lot of time getting every technical detail correct for a Lounge rant post in a Lounge rant thread just to satisfy the inherently pedantic. If I use the word "driver" it should be obvious by inference in the context of everything else that I wrote that I'm not necessarily writing explicitly about drivers per se. Rather, I'm writing about the overall constant struggle to deal with the BS that is inflicted upon us due to the random blandishments of Microsoft and their ilk. I would have hoped you'd get that but apparently not.

iu

I don't expect everyone to get the way I write, and I don't intend to spend a lot of time getting every technical detail correct for a Lounge rant post in a Lounge rant thread just to satisfy the inherently pedantic. If I use the word "driver" it should be obvious by inference in the context of everything else that I wrote that I'm not necessarily writing explicitly about drivers per se. Rather, I'm writing about the overall constant struggle to deal with the BS that is inflicted upon us due to the random blandishments of Microsoft and their ilk. I would have hoped you'd get that but apparently not.

iu

I'm not really sure what you were referring to- I assumed you were someone who maybe used Windows computers 20 years ago and then switched to a Mac but continued to talk about Windows like it was Windows 95. Am I pretty close?

I'm also not sure what constant struggle you're dealing with on your computer stuff. I don't really know people that have constant struggles with their computer. They mostly work fine.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what you were referring to- I assumed you were someone who maybe used Windows computers 20 years ago and then switched to a Mac but continued to talk about Windows like it was Windows 95. Am I pretty close?

I'm also not sure what constant struggle you're dealing with on your computer stuff. I don't really know people that have constant struggles with their computer. They mostly work fine.
Oh my God Please Stop. Stop being a pedantic pudknocker and stop defending Microsoft and trying to convince everyone that everything's fine. No one is buying your brand.

Who sent you? What are they paying you?

I use both every day. I told you that already. I didn't say it was a constant struggle. My computer usage is not some Sisyphean task of daily strife and acrimony.

We're done. You're going to the island of misfit toys that is the Ignore list.

Oh my God Please Stop. Stop being a pedantic pudknocker and stop defending Microsoft and trying to convince everyone that everything's fine. No one is buying your brand.

Who sent you? What are they paying you?

I use both every day. I told you that already. I didn't say it was a constant struggle. My computer usage is not some Sisyphean task of daily strife and acrimony.

We're done. You're going to the island of misfit toys that is the Ignore list.

"constant struggle" is specific phrase you used. I quoted you accurately to make sure I didn't put words into your mouth.

You said the "overall constant struggle" ... "inflicted upon us"

The funny thing is- you can ignore me, but you'll still see where I commented and it will eat you up until you click the link to see what I said. :)

Well the OP is forced to work with Windows because he has to support his customer - us. As far as ”another Windows bashing thread” it’s his forum, so…
op can always just not support ms if he likes, but very grateful he endures the suffering of dot net... for that I'm always a fan! But the bashing, hm, its not good cs imo. considering lots of people are on windows. just saying..
Happy Holidays and cheers..

The whole automatic updating was introduced with Win10. Before you could update whenever you wanted too. I reckon that M$ taking out that option because too many users were not updating, allowing for malware and hackers to exploit that. Just like they are exploiting the naivety of Mac users that they are somehow unique and safe only through the power of Saint Steve Jobs. And I also reckon that M$ saw that a growing trend was to use software that eliminated choice and deep options for a minimalist interface. So starting with Win 8 I noticed that the deep options and properties that made Windows such a great platform were decreasing or increasingly well hidden or eliminated, in favor of what I call Applefication, you gotta do it one way, the company's way, and you will like it!

Back
Top Bottom