Bug? FM9 locks up (tempo LED doesn't even blink) while doing preset management via Manage Presets in FM9Edit

Joe Bfstplk

Axe-Master
Even just copying a couple at a time, it does not reliably copy them and eventually locks up the FM9.

To reproduce the issue, all that I need to do is copy more than one preset (two will suffice), then paste it into a different location. The FM9 may or may not lock up the first time, but will eventually lock up and require a power cycle.

Last edited:
Sometimes also it sends PC #127 instead of whatever preset you are moving or restoring from backup.

Generally, it seems to go more smoothly pulling presets in from a backup than copying them from one spot to another, but it still sometimes sends PC #127 instead of the preset being restored.

CORRECTION: it sends each preset PC # as they are being copied in, but then sends PC #127 when it finished copying each preset.

Last edited:
You're saying that copying more than one preset and moving them to a empty user slot freezes up the FM9?

Be sure the user space is indeed empty and not occupied. (Case in point, I downloaded LT's TV Mix 2 and Live Mix cab to 2 separate empty user cab slots. Needed to be sure the downloaded cabs were indeed pointed to empty slots [User 1, User 2, User 3, etc])

Also was able to copy an EJ Clean and Shiva on the Rocks to empty user preset slots. If something is already in the target slot, that's likely the issue.

Likewise, if you're shuffling presets around in the factory preset slots, that also may be an issue. Remember that the factory preset that you copy remains in the original slot. Trying to put something else there without deleting the original could easily cause a "does not compute" freeze-up.

TBH, that might be risky, in my view.

You're saying that copying more than one preset and moving them to a empty user slot freezes up the FM9?

Yes.

Be sure the user space is indeed empty and not occupied.

Was overwriting my own presets with updated copies prepared in another bank. Eventually exported that bank and imported them piecemeal from the export file via the preset manager.

FM9 deffo seems to need a different plan of attack for method of preset management in the editor than FX3.

Be sure the user space is indeed empty and not occupied. (Case in point, I downloaded LT's TV Mix 2 and Live Mix cab to 2 separate empty user cab slots. Needed to be sure the downloaded cabs were indeed pointed to empty slots [User 1, User 2, User 3, etc])

Also was able to copy an EJ Clean and Shiva on the Rocks to empty user preset slots. If something is already in the target slot, that's likely the issue.

Likewise, if you're shuffling presets around in the factory preset slots, that also may be an issue. Remember that the factory preset that you copy remains in the original slot. Trying to put something else there without deleting the original could easily cause a "does not compute" freeze-up.

TBH, that might be risky, in my view.
Most of what you've written is just plain incorrect.

There's no need for the destination to be empty. There's no problem with keeping multiple copies of the same preset is not a problem.

Ether your own or factory makes no difference - the unit does not know or care where they originated.

There's no need for the destination to be empty. There's no problem with keeping multiple copies of the same preset is not a problem.

Ether your own or factory makes no difference - the unit does not know or care where they originated.
OK. From my experience (though it's not expansive), you can store copied presets in empty user slots with no difficulty whatsoever. Did that with the EJ Clean nd Shiva preset, though that was the only two I've tried copying. Don't know why Joe is experiencing problems copying his.

Was offering some what-if scenarios. I stand corrected if what you say works for the majority of FM9 users. Joe must have something going on with his presets that is causing the problem. That I defer to the power users.

OK. From my experience (though it's not expansive), you can store copied presets in empty user slots with no difficulty whatsoever. Did that with the EJ Clean nd Shiva preset, though that was the only two I've tried copying. Don't know why Joe is experiencing problems copying his.

Was offering some what-if scenarios. I stand corrected if what you say works for the majority of FM9 users. Joe must have something going on with his presets that is causing the problem. That I defer to the power users.
It's expected to work that way on all the Fractal devices.

@Joe Bfstplk knows that as he's got them. That's why he's reporting a bug ;)

What is your problem guy, why are you so rude?

It's expected to work that way on all the Fractal devices.

@Joe Bfstplk knows that as he's got them. That's why he's reporting a bug ;)
Yes, I hear this. Only issue might be not being able to replicate the problem. Sometimes you wonder if your FM9 works correctly…OMG, there must be something wrong! A case of not broken, no fixing needed here…

Am wishing @Joe Bfstplk the best, but sometimes think if one looks for trouble (bug searching), you’ll find something that you can’t get rid of….meanwhile, have fun…

Taking potshots at members of the forum is not cool, especially people who have been incredibly helpful to others. If there’s an issue, report it and let the moderators handle it, step back and take a deep breath. It’s not for us to manage.

It’d be really good to read both posts in the forum rules and consider how they apply to our own participation in the forum, not how others participate.

Taking potshots at members of the forum is not cool, especially people who have been incredibly helpful to others. If there’s an issue, report it and let the moderators handle it, step back and take a deep breath. It’s not for us to manage.

It’d be really good to read both posts in the forum rules and consider how they apply to our own participation in the forum, not how others participate.
Greg,
Thanks for your input. It's important to be mindful of what we say or do, especially online where any or all can read. Though we may seem anonymous, that often only creates division and problems, instead solving them. Thanks again.

Am wishing @Joe Bfstplk the best, but sometimes think if one looks for trouble (bug searching), you’ll find something that you can’t get rid of….meanwhile, have fun…
I am not looking for bugs. I am just trying to use the unit. Moving/copying+pasting presets in the preset management pane is expected to just work (within the limitations of device memory). I wasn't moving twenty presets at a time. The unit should be able to move two at a time without issue. As a workaround, I am exporting the whole bank to the computer, then pulling the presets from the backup file with a degree of success, but still noticed that after moving to the preset location and importing the preset, during the save process, it decides to fire off a program change 127 message, which is clearly unrelated to the preset being saved and is both unnecessary and minutely detrimental. That is definitely not an expected outcome, and falls within the realm of 'bug'.

I am not looking for bugs. I am just trying to use the unit. Moving/copying+pasting presets in the preset management pane is expected to just work (within the limitations of device memory). I wasn't moving twenty presets at a time. The unit should be able to move two at a time without issue. As a workaround, I am exporting the whole bank to the computer, then pulling the presets from the backup file with a degree of success, but still noticed that after moving to the preset location and importing the preset, during the save process, it decides to fire off a program change 127 message, which is clearly unrelated to the preset being saved and is both unnecessary and minutely detrimental. That is definitely not an expected outcome, and falls within the realm of 'bug'.
I have moved entire banks of presets use Manage Presets on the Axe Fx III.

It should work.

Perhaps it was my misreading what you were trying to do. From my view, when copying 2 presets and pasting them individually into empty user slots, no problems occurred.

Just thinking if this might be the cause...could it be that copying/pasting more than one preset at a time doesn't target more than one user slot? That the firmware "thinks" you mean one slot, instead of separate slots?

If what @unix-guy says is possible with Axe III, yes, then it is a bug with FM9, if Manage Presets does not work the same way with the FM9.

Back
Top Bottom