[solved] haas effect

cardinal

Inspired
So last night and this morning, I set up a 5150 on a 1960AV and the AFXIII/CA-9 on a second 1960AV and used a pedal to switch between between them. No deep editing on the Fractal, just adjusting the typical controls other than setting the impedance curve to the Bogner 4x12 curve. The cabs sound slightly different and I was switching them back and forth and got both rigs sounding very very similar etc etc.

Then I had both running simultaneously. I immediately could hear the sound was thicker and maybe overall louder, but I could only perceive sound coming from the 5150/cab. To equally perceive sound from the AFX/cab, I had to turn it up.

But then when I went back to listening to them in isolation, the AFX/cab seemed much louder than the 5150/cab.

I switch cabs between the rigs and it was the same thing. What might cause this?

Last edited:
The different latency between the two rigs causes comb filtering which will shift the apparent sound location. This will also change the frequency response.
Thanks! I also moved the cabs around and heard the same effect.

So this would happen basically any time when using the Fractal and the other guitarist has a non-digital amp?

No, this can happen with any two similar sounding rigs, not specifically the axe fx.
Interesting. I'll try it tonight with my 5150 and 6505+.

But fwiw I seemed to notice the same thing when it was the 5150 together with a variety of amp sims from the Fractal (Brit 800 and C+, for example), but I'll tinker with it a bit more. Seems strange to me.

You'll notice if you have two hard panned IRs, shifting the time alignment of one (say 1-3 ms) creates a shift in the location of the perceived sound.

I experienced this the other day at a small gig using in-ears and a room mic. The sound of my guitar coming from FOH back through the room mic made my guitar sound amazing. I was very pleased with my patch-building skills until I realised nobody else would be hearing it that way. Now I want to simulate that with a delay. (But then what would my ear mix sound like I wonder? 😁)

Back
Top Bottom