Thank you, Fractal!

Nice job on the covers. Enjoying them. Some good songs that I am not familiar with.

Could you tell me a little about your process? Are you starting with the original recording and duplicating the guitar parts while playing them back and recording them into GB? In other words duplicating the original guitar parts note for note?
I look for backing tracks with the original guitars removed. I am not obsessed with perfect note-for-note playing, but I try to get as close as I can without spending too long on any one tune. I try to move through songs pretty quickly, but some take a bit longer. I haven’t done anything too technical yet. I also try to get as close to the original tone as I can. Really helps me to learn the power of the AXE FXIII.

Once I find the track, I import the MP3 into GB and then I record the guitar parts.

Maybe I need to give S1 another go around. I used Pro Tools for over a decade (and still would if Avid weren't such a dogs#!t company), and am now back on Cubase, which I used before PT. I never gelled with S1, was too frustrating trying to do basic shit. But that was back in the v1/v2 days. Maybe with v5 things have gotten better?
I wasn’t around until v4. Hard to get more straightforward than drag and drop. Their compositional tools in my opinion are unmatched if that’s your thing.

55 here... woah did I just type that haha

Doing a bunch of the same. Love the FAS products. Best musical purchases ever IMO. I am also a Studio One user. Amazing bit of software right there...Does everything.

Also, I subscribed!

I look for backing tracks with the original guitars removed. I am not obsessed with perfect note-for-note playing, but I try to get as close as I can without spending too long on any one tune. I try to move through songs pretty quickly, but some take a bit longer. I haven’t done anything too technical yet. I also try to get as close to the original tone as I can. Really helps me to learn the power of the AXE FXIII.

Once I find the track, I import the MP3 into GB and then I record the guitar parts.
I’m in your shoes. Mid-50s and want to get past just noodling and repeating licks. Where does one find backing tracks?

Maybe I need to give S1 another go around. I used Pro Tools for over a decade (and still would if Avid weren't such a dogs#!t company), and am now back on Cubase, which I used before PT. I never gelled with S1, was too frustrating trying to do basic shit. But that was back in the v1/v2 days. Maybe with v5 things have gotten better?
That's quite a common complaint for users that started with V1 and V2 and I felt the same.

I got to the point where Cubase was too cumbersome a workfliow and required 2 screens to use effectively as the layout is old and frustrating to use.

Studio One v5 was really easy to pick up, the built in plugins are superb compared to Cubase more so, you can do everything from one screen.

There are features that are just intuitive, for example work on recording and mixing a track, then when you are ready to master the song, it dumps the audio into a Mastering section that still has reference to the mix. Need to adjust the guitar mix, cool just move the faders in the arranger window and when you open the master it will notify you of the changes, then render the audio and automatically upload the new mastering audio into the project. You can do this master reference across an entire album.

There is so much in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's quite a common complaint for users that started with V1 and V2 and I felt the same.

I got to the point where Cubase was too cumbersome a workfliow and required 2 screens to use effectively as the layout is old and frustrating to use.

Studio One v5 was really easy to pick up, the built in plugins are superb compared to Cubase more so, you can do everything from one screen.

There are features that are just intuitive, for example work on recording and mixing a track, then when you are ready to master the song, it dumps the audio into a Mastering section that still has reference to the mix. Need to adjust the guitar mix, cool just move the faders in the arranger window and when you open the master it will notify you of the changes, then render the audio and automatically upload the new mastering audio into the project. You can do this master reference across an entire album.

There is so much in there.
Hmmm maybe I'll give the 30 day trial another run, I already have Cubase 11 Pro and it's working well for me, not sure I wanna drop the $150 for S1 without trying it out first

Hmmm maybe I'll give the 30 day trial another run, I already have Cubase 11 Pro and it's working well for me, not sure I wanna drop the $150 for S1 without trying it out first
I had Cubase 10.5 at the time and the decision was to go with 11 or move away. The fact the updates they had didn't really apply to my work flow (apart rom the vocal alignment tool) it was time to move.

They also do a discount if you trade from one product to another.... Or they used too anyway.

Back
Top Bottom