Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Threshold was removed from the JFET compressor in v17 and perhaps some other things, so you’ll need to adjust any presets using it. I found in all my presets using it that the level had bumped up a bit and needed to be brought down.

It is a Beta release so it's likely there are no guarantees that nothing else will change.
You are right of course, but I have a gig soon. I am already on 17, and that already changed the compressors. I cannot roll back to 16. That was the last time, my compressors were really tuned. Updating for 17 knowing that new changes are coming for 18 does not really make sense.

So I started my journey updating compressor blocks.

One thing I noticed is that if I initialize the block, it always switches to the Studio FF comp 1 model - That is a bit annoying.

I am not a huge fan of the auto make-up gain. I may be old school, but I prefer to set the make-up gain myself. I find that the make-up gain is an excellent measure of how much compression is applied. The GR meter does not do exactly the same for me.

A question and a wish for the compressor block

Q: Back in my AX8 days, I remember reading somewhere (the manual I believe) that the release time for the pedal compressors were actually 10 times longer than, what it said on the front panel, because pedal compressors often have very slow release times. Can someone confirm that this is no longer the case?

Wish: Could the default settings for the different compressor types sort of reflect the most used settings for the type? One example is the dynamicomp, where the defaults are 2 ms attack time and 100 ms release time, but if my internet searches are correct, the real dynacomp has attack time 4 ms and release time 2000 ms. Also, the jfet comp has the same defaults, but the slowest attack time of an 1176 is 0.8 ms. I just think, it would make it easier to hear the characters of each of the compressor types, if the default settings reflected 'more normal' settings for the compressor type.

Bonus Q: What does auto attack/release really do? Does it completely negate the attack/release settings, or does auto allow attack release to move in some sort of span around the set settings?

With the Instrument/Line change, thought it would be a great idea to fire up my mic pre and mic up an acoustic. Made a preset with some 3 band console EQ, various compressors (set to line) and some verb; had hours of fun!

My Favorite seemed to be the optical comp on the acoustic. Light compression and lowered the output to keep it at unity.

@FractalAudio
I' sorry if this has been asked for but it would be great to also have an override function for the global speaker impedence curve. I'm currently using both power amp + cab and FRFR. Thus, I don't want to globally set the speaker impendance curve. With an override function I could globally set a curve matching my guitar cab and still use a patch specific curve with my FRFR setup.

Q: Back in my AX8 days, I remember reading somewhere (the manual I believe) that the release time for the pedal compressors were actually 10 times longer than, what it said on the front panel, because pedal compressors often have very slow release times. Can someone confirm that this is no longer the case?

As of FW17.01, it was still the case
According to my calculations the release time would be around 150ms.

It's actually 1.5 seconds but in the "Pedal" compressors the release time is multiplied by 10.

I don't mind the range of possible release values being shifted by a factor of 10, but it would be really nice, if the real release time value was shown on front panel and in AxeEdit. This would drive me crazy, if I was measuring a compressor pedal I was trying to match. There is no mention of this in the Blocks Guide.

I have read through this entire thread, but that was last week and I can't remember if anyone else has reported this...

When I change presets there is a loud popping noise. Also, does this when I change scenes. Been waiting for an update to 18.x that I'm hoping will fix this.

This happens with Axe Edit (haven't tried on the unit). Could this be because Axe Edit has not been updated yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom