Sold my Fractal FM3

Ive been using Fractal Fm3 and written some songs with it, really enjoyed it and very convenient to play but I really use just one amp, so decided to sell it and move to real thing, and bought Mesa Boogie JP2C. My question is, is the Petrucci V30 legacy cab IR available for purchase? ive tried other IR's and seems the one I'm really comfortable with is the petrucci v30 IR.

Someone can export it for you maybe
Sorry isn’t that theft? These IRs are distributed with the fractal product that doesn’t mean anyone who owns the fractal product can copy them and redistribute. That sounds like breach of copyright to me.

@Admin M@ please correct if I’m wrong

You could make an IR of it. I tried doing this recently with Voxengo Deconvolver because I wanted to get a 4x10 Super Reverb IR to try with my Strymon Iridium and I have always liked the ones on my FM3.

I must have done something wrong because the IR ended up sounding thinner than if I use the one on FM3. If anyone has tips for how to setup things to get perfect IRs using just a DAW I'm all ears.

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you are making them for personal use and not distributing those IRs or trying to sell them.

thanks everyone, upon research it seems it's not available for purchase. I just got so used to the petrucci v30 legacy IR and I know how to make it sound right in a mix. who knows, I might venture with the axe III to pair with my mesa :)

I own the York Mesa IR.... I'll futz around with it and see how close I can get it to the Pettruci V30 mix in the FM3. What channel(s) of the JP amp did you normally use in the FM3? IE... Red Green, Yellow or the Shred variants? Also, how much gain did you typically add?

Sean Meredith-Jones

I own the York Mesa IR.... I'll futz around with it and see how close I can get it to the Pettruci V30 mix in the FM3. What channel(s) of the JP amp did you normally use in the FM3? IE... Red Green, Yellow or the Shred variants? Also, how much gain did you typically add?

Sean Meredith-Jones
Yeah, isn't there a JP mix in the newer York OS pack?

Thanks for the tip @LiquidGuitar I had only loaded a few of the Mesa IR's onto the FM3 as the User folder is full at the moment. When I went back to the notes of the YA Mesa... there it was so I swapped out another IR and put the JP one in there.

The York Audio Mesa JP and the Fractal JP are quite different. With all the filtering off, the Fractal is quite dark, and the mids and low end are quite forward. The York Audio is more open sounding and detailed. When I put a rolloff of 3.2k hz on the YA it got a lot closer. When I added more bass it was pretty close.

So, I haven't found an a single ir that matches the Fractal one without any tweaking. Hard to know if the ir manufacturers add processing to the original capture. To me, the York Audio is more versatile... more balanced to begin with, and then you can attenuate the highs, boost the mids and lows and you're just about there.

I would imagine though that since the OP is going to be sending a direct signal out of the JP amp, it's going to be somewhat different than the Fractal model to begin with... but who knows.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Sorry isn’t that theft? These IRs are distributed with the fractal product that doesn’t mean anyone who owns the fractal product can copy them and redistribute. That sounds like breach of copyright to me.

@Admin M@ please correct if I’m wrong
Kind of like people sell their fratcals with presets and IRS they bought. IMHO, it's just wrong. But I have been outnumbered for many, many years. I usually don't bother saying anything anymore.
And musicians wonder why everything is copyrighted and lame crap like ilok exist. Hello?
Sorry just how I feel about it. carry on!

Where do you draw the line? Is it okay to profile your favorite Fractal patch and run it in your Kemper? What about free exchange of profiles of amps you don't own? If I make my own IR of a Fractal IR with my own external gear, is that different then just taking a digital copy of the IR? Questions for lawyers.

Kind of like people sell their fratcals with presets and IRS they bought. IMHO, it's just wrong. But I have been outnumbered for many, many years. I usually don't bother saying anything anymore.
And musicians wonder why everything is copyrighted and lame crap like ilok exist. Hello?
Sorry just how I feel about it. carry on!
You're certainly not wrong. I see many people on Reverb including in their description the fact that the unit has X# of commercial presets/IR's, the value of which is pointed to in the price.
It's a downside to a person who has invested their time, money, and experience into developing a digital product, in order to generate a bit of income, to an item of that nature being a set of binary digits, that can be copied, and shared.
Where do you draw the line? Is it okay to profile your favorite Fractal patch and run it in your Kemper? What about free exchange of profiles of amps you don't own? If I make my own IR of a Fractal IR with my own external gear, is that different then just taking a digital copy of the IR? Questions for lawyers.
Indeed! Tough questions...

Making an IR of an IR is more ambiguous. However, the original suggestion was for someone to export an IR and then share it. If the IR is copyrighted then I think is a clear line that should not be crossed, similar to selling gear with presets and IRs that have license agreements that state no transfer is allowed.

As TSJMajesty mentioned, tough questions and I apologize to OP for somewhat derailing the thread.

Thus is covered in the EULA

3) IMPULSE RESPONSE EXPORT FOR COMMERCIAL USE
Offering for sale any Impulse Response data (e.g. “Tone Match Export/Save/Dump”, “User Cab Export/Save/Dump”) created, converted or modified using Fractal Audio Systems hardware and/or software requires a commercial use license. Recording studios, consultants, and other commercial entities may use these features in conjunction with work performed for their commercial customers, but the resulting data files created may not be offered for sale or gifted to their commercial customers or other third parties without a commercial license from FAS and its licensors where applicable. Contact sales@ fractalaudio.com to obtain a commercial license.

4) IMPULSE RESPONSE DATA EXPORT FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE
You are free to export Impulse Response data for non-commercial use. This includes producing, converting, or modifying Impulse Response data for yourself, or offering/distributing such data at no charge to third parties. Files created without a commercial license cannot be included for free with another product or package that is offered for sale. Contact sales@fractalaudio.com to obtain a commercial license.

Back
Top Bottom