I don't really believe in profiling anymore...

It's a psychological thing.

Profiling necessarily tries to say that it can clone your amp.

Modelling doesn't.

The two headspaces are very different. And I find one of them restrictive and annoying, and the other freeing less bothersome.
If you could "get over" that mental effect, do you think you'd still prefer fractal units?

Would you say the fractal amp sims (with or without EQ matching) are closer to your amps than profiles and captures?

yes we are in 2021 but ... lets take an example of one the latest product .

ready ? take a deep breath

go directly in 4:44 in this video 😬

how do name that sound ? if this is not digital .... ahhhh maybe synthetic is a better word . thats hor-rible . listen to the gt1000 ... many "new" product still horrible souding, super digital . the axe is since now the "less synthetic" product of them all

This is a great example of what I was talking about in an earlier post in this thread. Attributing to digital what you don't understand.

This is just a bad preset combined with the wrong guitar. A bright Tele or Strat combined with a bright amp into a VERY bright cab.

I know that ML Sound Lab G12H cab sim very well, it can sound very thin and harsh easily. So what's the use of it? You combine it with a darker amp or darker speaker like a G12M and the thin, harsh sound helps fill in some snap to an otherwise darker sound. Other means to tame it would be applying plenty of high cut.

When I briefly had the BluGuitar Blubox which is a cornucopia of Thomas Blug's own vintage cabs, the G12H cab in that also was extreme bright and pretty much unusable without high cuts. In a similar way you could find a cab in the Fractal factory IRs that sounds awful on its own but paired with something else is really good.

yes we are in 2021 but ... lets take an example of one the latest product .

ready ? take a deep breath

go directly in 4:44 in this video 😬

how do name that sound ? if this is not digital .... ahhhh maybe synthetic is a better word . thats hor-rible . listen to the gt1000 ... many "new" product still horrible souding, super digital . the axe is since now the "less synthetic" product of them all.

ATM, I don't even think that sounds too bad :D But that's just me.

In any case, I would not be very confident concluding too much considering all the variables at play in this instance.

I had the cortex for a few days. Shot some captures of my best fractal tones. If people have often found it hard to spot Kemper in some types of blind tests, this is a similar case imo.

Maybe a little better than Kemper for me personally, because of less TS mids bonanza (there with near every gain profile I ever remember shooting). There were some other shortcomings, more so in parts of the high end response. But the results are still quite legitimate by most estimates.

And I didn't think the amp sims sucked either compared to my fractal tones. Going through same IR, whatever I tested was fairly comparable, at least according to my own judgement.

I still preferred fractal overall. But absolutely not a night and day difference, for example like going from ice cream to poop. More like: "well there's a little something I prefer about this ice cream".

And then there's the ability to tweak considerably more on the fractal which I appreciate endlessly.

Last edited:
Nope. I don’t understand either
If I recall correctly mr steadystate has posted often that Helix is not in the same ballpark as Axefx... - I'd have to agree as I tried Helix just before moving from AxeII to AxeIII and was underwhelmed (returned it) - so if it's the best along with Axefx, it's distant #2. Anyway - let's not get into this here - there's lots of Axefx vs Helix in past threads - just search.

Last edited:
Lol, speak to the neural fanboys for entertainment, and say this, and about other criticism, they will tell you less is better and more, andthe axe fx's end is near.

Imagine spending 1850e to have a boss gt6 at home . It must hurt .

The axe 3 is the best sounding unit for this price . They are far behind . The day fractal will add a profiling option they will all be in lateral safety position

Ok . Where is my axe 3 t shirt ? 😅

Yeah, I've used a Helix for live performance and studio work for about 5 years now. It's a great piece of kit.

The Kemper has been used on a few released songs too, but only to save my bacon when I lost some recordings - don't use cheap hard drives folks!!

Imagine spending 1850e to have a boss gt6 at home . It must hurt .

The axe 3 is the best sounding unit for this price . They are far behind . The day fractal will add a profiling option they will all be in lateral safety position

Ok . Where

There are as many opinions as there are choices, it's all a personal choice depending on the needs and the sound you have in mind.
It s just tools to make music, there are no better or worse.
It just depends how you ll use it and you dont have the universal good taste ;)

In my opinion (personal and subjective) I mainly prefer the sound of QC and Kemper but I prefer the feeling of the axe fx.
For recording the Axe is the last I use.

I had Helix for 5 years. Loved the hardware interface design. But, If it were not for Jason Sadite's most excellent videos in taming the high-end of Helix, I would have sold it wayyy sooner than I did. I don't have that issue with the AX3, or my QC.

It s just tools to make music, there are no better or worse.
Agree with the former, disagree with the latter, some are indeed better and some are indeed worse, depends on how detailed your application of the tool is. Wanna just b/m/t everything, sure everything can be good enough in that case if you okay with how it sounds. but not always and otherwise, as the tools can fall short.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom