You Tube "Reaction Videos" I LOVE This!

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
When I first saw a Reaction video in my feed, I thought, wtf is this? People will post anything on YT.
But I've since changed my opinion.
We all know how joyous it can be listening to a song that really moves you, but to see someone watch an iconic song for the first time, and thoroughly enjoy it, is something special indeed.
I've known this song since my middle school "boy/girl" party days, but it still raises the hair on my arms when Frampton climaxes the solo. And seeing the reaction, is just icing on the cake.
Jump right in and skip to the middle to see Jamal's love!

It is truly amazing how much music many people missed.

Just working in my shop having the tunes going - I had a crew of electricians working power circuits- and one kid (20s) was just fascinated by things like Rickie Lee Jones, Alison Krauss, Rush, Jeff Beck, Paco John and Al; Jesse Colin Young, Dave Brubeck, Stanley Clarke, miles, return to forever, The Jazz messengers and then of course all the 80s stuff that made up my 20s.

Remarked he’d never heard of such music. I didn’t really know where to begin, because it’s been so important to me my entire life - even before I could talk.

Plenty of enjoyable Reaction Vid's on YT. Check out the reactions to Jinger's
song Pisces. Some of the best.

Those phony reaction videos are so cringy. You would have to be really gullible to believe that they are real.
Well I suppose I still have a little faith in humanity, but with all the clickbait titles and more and more people seeming to want to do as little as possible, it slips away a bit more each day.
Whether or not the one I posted is real, it warmed my heart, and put a big smile on my face, seeing his seemingly genuine joy at discovering a song that was on the soundtrack of my youth.

Ok, I'll admit to never (yet) questioning whether or not these videos were real. But, copycats aside, I feel whomever came up with the original idea, was pretty clever.

I think if you get in tune with the personality of the "reactor" these can be enjoyable - like when you really want your friend to hear an awesome song you like.

I don't watch these reaction vids much but I do often enjoy watching analysis vids like this one for the same song:

and this amazimg one:

Last edited:
Sometime I watch such reactions too...
Some are realy funny and I agree the point how much people missed the music.
Strange how people never heard about famous bands or artists exisiting 30 years or more.
I'm a blues, rock, metal guy but I also know or heard something about well known rap or hip-hop or other genre artists...
Even if not like the music, if I hear a name I may recognize it or know a song.

Remeber a reaction of a femal vocal-trainer listening 1st time to Jinjer.
Talking about the clear voice in the beginning and the smooth jazzy like instrumentation.
Taking her cup of tea or coffee just in time the vocals started to growl and she spitted out the tea totally shoked about the change :tearsofjoy:

I think if you get in tune with the personality of the "reactor" these can be enjoyable - like when you really want your friend to hear an awesome song you like.

I don't watch these reaction vids much but I do often enjoy watching analysis vids like this one for the same song:

Yeah, I like his videos also. And he seems to be a pretty cool guy, as I once disagreed with him about a certain well-known guitarist's solo on a very popular song, yet he appreciated what I said. He's actually helped me understand some behind-the-scenes aspects of certain playing styles.

Hi,
I’m the exact opposite. Could never figure out why anyone would want to watch a reaction video! I now understand a little thanks to your explanation, and other posts here. I’ll continue never watching them however ;-)
Thanks
Pauly

When I first saw a Reaction video in my feed, I thought, wtf is this? People will post anything on YT.
But I've since changed my opinion.
We all know how joyous it can be listening to a song that really moves you, but to see someone watch an iconic song for the first time, and thoroughly enjoy it, is something special indeed.
I've known this song since my middle school "boy/girl" party days, but it still raises the hair on my arms when Frampton climaxes the solo. And seeing the reaction, is just icing on the cake.
Jump right in and skip to the middle to see Jamal's love!

"It's almost like the guitar sounded distorted. It's not like he has the greatest voice. He's losing his mind right now. That solo was off the chain. My cheeks hurt. This is flawless."

"Lies, lies, lies. There's 8 people in this band. I've died and my soul is traveling through fucking parallel universes. This is smooth as hell. I'm picturing monsters with jazz hands. They really are the truth."

It is truly amazing how much music many people missed.

Just working in my shop having the tunes going - I had a crew of electricians working power circuits- and one kid (20s) was just fascinated by things like Rickie Lee Jones, Alison Krauss, Rush, Jeff Beck, Paco John and Al; Jesse Colin Young, Dave Brubeck, Stanley Clarke, miles, return to forever, The Jazz messengers and then of course all the 80s stuff that made up my 20s.

Remarked he’d never heard of such music. I didn’t really know where to begin, because it’s been so important to me my entire life - even before I could talk.
The mainstream media doesn't play those kinds of music and artists for decades. And not just jazz, rock is now niche too. And in my experience people working trades on construction tend to play only mainstream radio while on the job.
Sometime I watch such reactions too...
Some are realy funny and I agree the point how much people missed the music.
Strange how people never heard about famous bands or artists exisiting 30 years or more.
I'm a blues, rock, metal guy but I also know or heard something about well known rap or hip-hop or other genre artists...
Even if not like the music, if I hear a name I may recognize it or know a song.

Remeber a reaction of a femal vocal-trainer listening 1st time to Jinjer.
Talking about the clear voice in the beginning and the smooth jazzy like instrumentation.
Taking her cup of tea or coffee just in time the vocals started to growl and she spitted out the tea totally shoked about the change :tearsofjoy:
Again, rock is niche and has been so for decades. The 90's was the last time it was mainstream. Also there are shitloads of niche artists that I have never heard about either. Or most rappers, or DJ's for that matter. I've quit listening to the radio in the late 90's so my exposure to those artists is minimal at best. I can easily see many people not knowing famous rock bands. Hell, until 5 years ago I barely even knew anything from Pink Floyd other then the brick song and the only Van Halen songs I knew (and still know) are Running with the Devil and Jump.

I'll admit, I'm not really exposed to a lot of music outside my interests. Sure, there is always music playing in places I'm at, but I honestly couldn't tell you if a song is a Taylor Swift, Adele, or someone else, as those are the only two female artists I can think of. Go into other popular music like hip hop, and I couldn't tell you a single artist. Is Snoop still a thing? I think the rest of any I can think of are dead or maybe not doing anything anymore. No idea. I know when I see stuff on the news, I never know anyone. That recent concert where people got crushed. I had never heard of the guy before, but apparently he's a big enough deal to get endorsements from like a hundred companies including McDonalds.

and this amazimg one:

Sturgeon's rule applies to reaction vidoes as it does to all things. I started watching them with the Lost in Las Vegas guys, and I think I buy them. But yeah, nothing turns me off faster than the cringeworthy faces on the icons. TBH I think a lot of them are getting megahits by stroking the musical preferences of their viewers. And that's bound to become an act at some point.

The ones where the person(s) in the video actually knows something are a cut above. In addition to Beato's videos, I like Doug Helvering's.

Back
Top Bottom