Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. You'll hear the Axe III's direct output just like if your DAW isn't even connected. The only latency you get that way is the A/D and D/A conversion and internal processing latency, which is around 2 ms total.

The only time you want to use software monitoring is if you are trying to monitor the input with real time effects from your DAW. In that case you want to use the new mute option for Output 1 in the I/O menu so you hear only the software monitoring. If you try to use direct and software monitoring at the same time, you'll get phasing and/or echo depending on your buffer size settings
Good to know, thanks so much for the input! I'm still learning...

I really envy those who understand and hear how compressors work!
I don't know what to hear?
I do not know what, why to roll!
I do not know what, why?
What is a good compressor setting for a Fender Stratocaster?
I love the beautiful clear sounds!

try this as a starting point before the drive/amp blocks:
JFET type
instrument level
compression 2.7
attack 0.4ms
release 140ms
auto attack/release off
lookahead 0

this should give you a clear yet punchy response with fast transients (e.g. plucking your low E string hard) followed by smooth sustain as the note decays

I really envy those who understand and hear how compressors work!
I don't know what to hear?
I do not know what, why to roll!
I do not know what, why?
What is a good compressor setting for a Fender Stratocaster?
I love the beautiful clear sounds!
Off topic, but .. The old page from OVNIlab was helpful to me, universal audio and many other sources have explanations of musical compression and the types of circuits used. I found it helpful to play through a pedal compressor at first, the "smoothing" of compression (loud transients softened, low volume relatively louder) can change how you play depending on what you are after. The other thing I found helpful was to run a recording [guitar, voice, whatever] through AF (or DAW) and try the different compressors - if I start with extreme settings it is easy to hear what the compressor is doing, and then I can adjust to suit. It's FUN, but lately I've been getting into parallel compression (some signal passed through without compression) which can help preserve dynamics and a more natural sound.

Does it not, is anything missing? Everything working fine here
Yes for example I am not sure that the new cabs impedance appears in the list in axe edit . If they release a new delay for example it happens that axe edit don’t show it until axe edit is updated too . They update it quick everytime that’s not a problem

The editors always retrieve parameter values from the hardware. So when curves are added to the firmware of the hardware, the editor will show the new ones, without needing a full update. "Refreshing the definitions" suffices.

But the firmware has no control over the design of the editor. So when a new parameter is added to the firmware, the editor itself must be adapted by FAS and updated by the user to show that new control / field.

try this as a starting point before the drive/amp blocks:
JFET type
instrument level
compression 2.7
attack 0.4ms
release 140ms
auto attack/release off
lookahead 0

this should give you a clear yet punchy response with fast transients (e.g. plucking your low E string hard) followed by smooth sustain as the note decays
Thanks!
This is a good setting!
I think I can build from that!

How has the update to the compeessor change the Schaffer replica effect using two compressors in series? Better? Same? Do they need tweeking now? Haven't updated yet.

Thanks,

Roger

How has the update to the compeessor change the Schaffer replica effect using two compressors in series? Better? Same? Do they need tweeking now? Haven't updated yet.

Thanks,now

Roger
From the couple of presets that I've checked so far, you'll need to adjust the compressor settings. MY presets with compressors are gainy now (I only use compressors on my clean presets).

Definitely utilizing Two Compressors in series will need a little tweaking, I only have a couple of Presets with Two Compressors in Series but the Compressors sound so much better! Totally worth it. The JFET on its own is Killer!

Thanks,

Roger
Your volumes might get messed up (depending on what type you use), so then you'd need to retweak the output level of the first comp at least, otherwise the 2nd comp gets hit by a louder signal, which means the treashold setting of the 2nd comp wouldn't be on the right spot anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom