AFIII DOKKEN - Back For The Attack tone w/patch

ProgressiveRocco

Power User
Hey guys!🤘

Back in 2013 I created my first Back for the Attack-inspired patch, figured it was time to re-build it from scratch :D! Needless to say this sounds way closer to the original to my ears, very happy with how it came out (please note, the IR I chose is crucial to the final sound, more on that later).
This album features my all time favorite George Lynch tone, a super raw, snarly, tight and bright Marshall, not the easiest sound to play with honestly, but cuts like a knife in a mix!

Having tried pretty much every Greenback IR out there (which is what was used on the album as far as I know), I finally set on… a V30 lol. The IR I used is the OH 412 MRCB V30-EN1 L 57a Cap BR from the (r)Evolution Debut Bundle by OwnHammer; the V30 nailed the aggression on the highs I was missing from the GBs, and this particular IR is pretty lean on the lows which turned out to be perfect for this tone (if you go back and listen to the album there isn’t a lot of bass on the guitar at all).

The patch itself it’s pretty simple and features the usual suspects: a dimed Plexi, a couple of EQs I used to do some fine tweaking, a short vintage delay, some studio reverb, and a touch of stereo widening. Keep in mind this was created on fw 17.02 using my Charvel San Dimas with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge.
Hope you guys dig it!

Attachments

• BFTA PLEXI.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 693
OMG ! I didn't have anything close to that IR ..., and I typically don't care for V30's ....

As a lark I tried the OH 412 Player Raw 57-B and paired it with the corresponding 121 and I got pretty darn close !

I love how it's chewy and cutting at the same time ! I think your PEQ work is pretty damn key to the tone too !

THANKS for sharing !

Rocco, that album is my all-time favorite tone wise for sure. That tone is pretty harsh on its own but it fits perfectly with the album. I seriously envy your mad skills.

Thank you so much guys!! Playing along with the record using this patch is super fun 🤘
Awesome, didn't have that OH IR but a York V30 did the trick, sounds like your video here. :)
OMG ! I didn't have anything close to that IR ..., and I typically don't care for V30's ....

As a lark I tried the OH 412 Player Raw 57-B and paired it with the corresponding 121 and I got pretty darn close !

I love how it's chewy and cutting at the same time ! I think your PEQ work is pretty damn key to the tone too !

THANKS for sharing !
Glad to hear it sounds good with different IRs! I'm sure there are lots of stock ones that could work just fine too!

Hey guys!🤘

Back in 2013 I created my first Back for the Attack-inspired patch, figured it was time to re-build it from scratch :D! Needless to say this sounds way closer to the original to my ears, very happy with how it came out (please note, the IR I chose is crucial to the final sound, more on that later).
This album features my all time favorite George Lynch tone, a super raw, snarly, tight and bright Marshall, not the easiest sound to play with honestly, but cuts like a knife in a mix!

Having tried pretty much every Greenback IR out there (which is what was used on the album as far as I know), I finally set on… a V30 lol. The IR I used is the OH 412 MRCB V30-EN1 L 57a Cap BR from the (r)Evolution Debut Bundle by OwnHammer; the V30 nailed the aggression on the highs I was missing from the GBs, and this particular IR is pretty lean on the lows which turned out to be perfect for this tone (if you go back and listen to the album there isn’t a lot of bass on the guitar at all).

The patch itself it’s pretty simple and features the usual suspects: a dimed Plexi, a couple of EQs I used to do some fine tweaking, a short vintage delay, some studio reverb, and a touch of stereo widening. Keep in mind this was created on fw 17.02 using my Charvel San Dimas with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge.
Hope you guys dig it!

Just asking, do you have any global EQ on through the output used? I have a feeling some players do when creating patches. You probably don't, but just confirming. Thanks!

Awesome as always, you rock!! Thank you for sharing Rocco. It is easy to play alone and dial up this fat pre set but it does not sit well in the mix so thank you for mentioning that too!

What about some Jon Levin era stuff? I think this was him, but great tones too! anyhow cheers from Calif my friend!

This patch doesn't translate to FM3 very well... anyone got any tips to get it to work correctly?

always felt like BFTA was Lynch at his apex. Just incredible guitar work. Probably Docker's best album as well. I'll never forget seeing the music video to Dream Warrriors at the end of a Nightmare on Elm Street VHS and immediately going out and buying the album. He was my biggest influence in my early years of playing.

Back
Top Bottom