Epic 80's Song that needs recognition

Wanted to post something here that's more squarely anchored in the 80s rather than the 70s rockers I mentioned above who were trying to figure out what to do differently in an unfamiliar post punk / new wave / hair metal environment. Around 83/84 I had just bought my first CD player as many others were doing at the time (Cost 500$Cdn in 83 / =1200$Cdn in 2021 yikes!), and I had about a dozen CDs costing about 23$Cdn each (=56$Cdn today :oops: - believe it or not, a dozen or so was a good sized collection around that time). One of those CDs was the Billy Idol debut. Billy Idol became a huge selling artist in the 80s with the 1st 3 albums, but I would say somewhat underrated from a guitarcentric point of view as we considered Billy Idol more pop/punk party music - not to be taken too seriously particularly by us serious prog/metal heads. Fast forward to now and I regularly listen to Rebel Yell for overall enjoyment and from a guitar content point of view as I think Steve Stevens is one of the more underrated guitarists who began in the 80s - I think he kind of flies under the radar a bit with Billy Idol though I also think Billy Idol is an awesome meld of British style punk vocalist and North American heavy guitar though Steve definitely has his own unique style. And they still seriously rock. To my ear Rebel Yell and the debut still stand up as fresh/awesome sounding records full of underrated gems. Here's a couple:

Last edited:
Around 83/84 I had just bought my first CD player…
I remember seeing a CD player for the first time in 1980, at a place called Kelly’s Stereo. It cost $1,500 CDN.

Billy Idol was and still is great! When his songs were played by DJ’s in bars in the 80’s, the place went nuts. Saw him play in Toronto, back in the 80’s. Incredible show…so much energy. Steve Stevens kicked ass on guitar. Still does!

Now how do I get Pandora to create a station with all these songs? I actually tried last night, and I either got 80's with Rush & VH, or pop songs. My thumbprint station has too much prog (for an 80's mix; you can never have too much prog! ;))

There was one night in 1984 when no one in the DC area could find a babysitter. They were ALL watching these guys live. The camera would pan from Simon <deafening screams> to John <deafening screams> to Nick <deafening screams> to Roger <crickets> to Andy <crickets>

What a bass line!!

I have literally played the bits off their 2010 greatest hits release over the past dozen years which contains a lot of re-recorded stuff which I find sounds way better than the originals (not that the originals sounded bad) - very weird - also not sure one can actually even buy this compilation any more.

View attachment 91863
I'm always a bit on the fence about the remastered tracks just because of the nostalgia thing, but in many cases they are indeed better. I really enjoy the 2007 remastered Ratt:

Back
Top Bottom