2 expression pedals

Those of you that use more than one expression pedal. What are you using them for, and why? What’s your assignments?
1 Volume, via a VolPan block after the amp/cab.

2. Delay wetness, via a null filter's output level in front of a parallel delay.

3. Wah.

4. Expression. Most often used to jack up amp gain and manage levels, frequently with a changeover in the last 1/3 of travel from the rhythm amp to a high-gain lead amp. Other times, where scenes are switching am sounds, it brings in whatever effect I have set up.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I MIDI those pedals in via an ExpressionIO (so they can be shared with my FX3 and DAW), which us how I have 4 of them....

Last edited:
I currently use 3 expression pedals on my FM9 although only used two when I had my AX8 and FM3.
Pedal 1 is always connected to the VOL1 block which I place as the last item before the OUT.
Pedal 2 is used for wah and in some presets, whammy
Pedal 3 is assigned to GAIN on the amp block.

As the FM9 has offered a third expression jack compared to only a pair on the FM3, I am looking at setting up presets with expression control of delay, reverb mix. Still a work in progress.

dbInsterments 4e for me! first and foremost was the real estate that it didn't consume, second I only need one foot to change two things at once! 3rd I still have two other ports on the pedal that I can use to control any outboard effects should I need to.

As to controlling effects the sky's the limit I guess. I have a few presets that I have it setup to control verb mix and bring in a foe feedback or rotary and delay mix in another. For me it's the perfect CC pedal!

Missiong Engineering spring loaded EP-1- strictly for wah
Fractal EV-1- every other thing I attach to it

The expression does a few different things, depending on the preset. I’ve got some basic Whammy pedal stuff, it’s used as a volume pedal in a bunch, before and after the amp depending on what I need it to do and in all my lead presets I attach it to the input gain of my delays so when I’m playing faster stuff I can back off it where it‘s set around 10%-15% and for the long sustaining notes/sections, I have it set to 35% in the toe-down position.

I use wah too much and I grew up with Dunlops, I’m way too used to that feeling to change. I dig the spring loaded aspect though. I had a couple bad experiences with the Bad Horsie pedal in high school and just went right back to Crybaby’s.
And the EV-1 is sized just right for really fine tuning whatever you’re controlling. The size of it allows you to really lay in and be exact with it. With wahs I really lay into those and get aggressive with them, it’s a totally different feeling between the two.

I started using the Expression IO a couple years ago with the FM3. Right now I'm using two expression pedals with the FM9:
  • Wah - Fractal EV-2 converted to a "spring" loaded pedal with a piece of inner tube - auto engage
  • Out 1 Volume - Boss EV-30 - you can adjust the minimum level so when it's in the heel position it's my rhythm volume and the toe position is my solo level. This also allows me to add a little volume in between the min/max to emphasize something without getting too loud.

Back
Top Bottom