Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Just confirming that I have started working on this update to Firmware 17.01 for 1400 Naked Amps. I got through the Tweeds and Browns last weekend. With any luck I'll have a partial update (Bank 1) available by Thanksgiving and the test of it (Bank 2) ready by Christmas/New Years. Wish it was done sooner but I am having to travel for day job work a good bit next 8 weeks so away from my machines at night. But I AM on it and it sounds great!

So tonight I found an error on the firmware version 15 presets for the DoubleVerb amp (Fender BlackFace Twin).

The Compressor2 block after the cab is wrong, it's a factory default setting, not mine. Which is why the preset sounds whimpy.

To fix, copy the Compressor 2 block from a nearby preset and paste it in over the Doubleverb ones. That fixes it. Fixed for the forthcoming Cygnus fw17.01 update later this month if I can stay on track. Fixing the cab block IRs to just be in the first two slots so there can be an FM9 version later is adding more time to the update process...

EDIT: Found same compressor block error on '65 Bassman preset too...same procedure above fixes it.

Last edited:
EDIT: Fenders, Voxes+Vintage are done in Bank 1.. and now, a few Marshalls too!

Slow but steady progress...about 40% done with Bank 1 (two columns done, three to go - third not shown in screen shot). Everything with a "-c" shown is now updated to Cygnus. The Marshalls are snarling and kickin' a**.

Feeling better that Naked Amps Bank 1 update to Cygnus can be done before Cyber Monday/end of month, and so the plan is still to do a partial update download file into your accounts (just Bank 1 Cygnus) as promised after Thanksgiving/that weekend.

Then on to updating Bank 2 throughout December!

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 7.12.34 PM.png

Last edited:
I initially though the FM9 wouldn't import the III Naked Amp presets over right, since I used a wider grid space.

But I just did a test and I was wrong! The FM9 editor compensated beautifully. So the main work is just lining up the CAB IRs into the first two slots from the III preset. It's a compromise for the FM9 as sometimes I use 3 or four cabs to get the sound I want and Cabs 3 and 4 will be chopped off on import, but am making sure each preset still sounds good for FM9 with 2 cabs, like original does on the III.

Just out of interest austinbuddy, what's involved with upgrading each patch? Interested in having a crack on some myself.

Cheers

Just out of interest austinbuddy, what's involved with upgrading each patch? Interested in having a crack on some myself.

Cheers
For Naked Amps update? Well, you asked....so, I do all of these things to update a preset to Cygnus fw17:

- Reset amp block (good Fractal tool now to do that, I don't use FracTool for this now). I did this across the whole Bank A, so it's done in one go.

- Because of amp reset, have to re-input the Amp Boost amount and the Saturation drive amount manually in every preset - they vary by amp type, not a one-size answer for all. Sometimes I do this scene by scene. Other times i may sit and just do this one change for a group of 10-20 presets so I don't have to worry about when dialing in sound.

- Sometimes, on a few amps, the reset will put the Mid control back to 5 (default) instead of my value, and reset the high cut at 0, have to check and fix those/catch them. Also, have to make sure the brite cap value is same in case I changed it as a mod on an amp.

- Because of reset, have to check any GEQ settings and re-input (biggest pain for this is the Mesa Boogies), and a few other things like speaker comp (should be zero on most, I use a little on some).

- Using my second Axe-FX III, running firmware 15 (last update), I can audio-wise play and compare same preset/scene in FW 15 ARES sound to new fw17 Cygnus one, as an A/B, while playing. I could use a Ditto looper in front of the A/B box to help, but don't right now.

- Move the III's preset/scene cabs that are being used (if any), from IR slots III and IV. Try to get it to to sound right with just CAB IR slots 1 and 2, so the presets can be next be ported/used on an FM9 later. Make sure the CAB IR time alignment is right when I move cabs too. So I often have to swap/move cabs around, takes time. Some preset use three or even four cabs to get the sound I want. So I leave those there, knowing the FM9 will chop the last two 3 and 4 off on the port, so it has to sound good with just two IRs as well.

- On some presets where I originally "saved' it to showcase a sound in different Scene (rather than Scene 1), sometimes I find in Cygnus two amp blocks are coming on now in that original Scene -- so I have to check and turn the "wrong" amp block off. I'm saving these Cygnus version presets all on Scene 1 this time, to make sure that doesn't happen in the future.

-Fix any "wrong value/type" post-cab compressor block issues - I found a few that had wrong one, as noted above in thread, like the '65 Bassman and the Fender Twin. To do FM9, I think I'm also going to have to replace this Compressor type just in the FM9 with a different one across the 100+ presets in each bank, since the FB Studio FB 1 type compressor blocks are not exactly compatible across units.

- Fix any errors I run into from last time. Fixed some Timmy1 drives to Timmy 2, did bass cut on those around 300Hz. Add a little more output Level (from 6 to 8) for some Klon lead sounds. I may adjust a delay mix or something too as I go. All to taste.

- On some amps, I adjust the gain/drive level to match the old version level (most of the Marshalls all needed a little more gain on Cygnus than prior preset in FW15).

- Then, after a lot of that, I will A/B to the firmware 15 version and see if any EQ or gain needs to be adjust t get it back to what we had fw15 (or better). A few amps have changed modeling like the Tweed Deluxe so those may be a little different.

-Last , I adjust the preset signal Level, to get it right around to 0 on the editor and peaks around -9db on my Audio console, average signal -12db.

All of the above is just for 1 SCENE in a preset!!! :oops: So I do the same process for 8 scenes, then save the preset, and put a "-c" at the end of the name so I know it's done and now Cygnus.

You can see this takes quite a long time to do it right - exhausting at times yes -- but I'm assuming most of you want the new presets to sound like the fw 15 ones (but better) in terms of EQ and gain, so these steps are all a "must."

By mid-week I'll be halfway through Bank A. I am taking all of next week off so I can hammer on it and get Bank A done for you guys by Cyber Monday if not before.

Hey - you asked! ;)

Last edited:
For Bank 1 update....

I've got almost everything done now, except for all the Mesa Boogies, the Diezels, the Carvins, and the Friedmans (because they need to be re-worked, Cliff changed the models, so some of theose will NOT sound the same as prior). The Boogies/Mark's take time because I have to re input the 5 band amp GEQs in every single scene, amp reset zeros those out. PITA.

That's still several hundred sounds to go -- but we are closing in on the end and I think by Sunday if not before this will be done.

Also, need to check it under firmware 18 to make sure the new compressor is okay with the original one post-cab, and will likely release the Bank 1 Partial Update under that new firmware 18 later this weekend...

Will check back in here and let you know guys when I'm close.

Almost ready with Bank 1 partial update ... Just have the Mesa Mark IVs and IIC+ models to finish up tomorrow. I input all the GEQ stuff tonight, so it's about 48 sounds I have to level/check and then done.

Black Friday sale starts tomorrow but wait a day if you are looking to buy so you can get access to the Cygnus fw17+ download.

Okay rockers, the 1400+ Naked Amps Bank 1 update to Cygnus firmware 17.02 is DONE and should now be available in the "My Downloads" area of your account on my website.

The Bank 1 zip file file will have a label: Latest-Nov.2021_Cygnus_Fw17.02+_Partial_Update_Bank_1

Work on Bank 2 will start next month and I will complete it probably by early in 2022, maybe before that.

Use the email you bought with originally to login to my website. If you can't remember your password, you can reset it.

Note: if you try to login unsuccessfully more than a few times, the website's auto-security will think you are a BOT, and it will lock you out from logging in for about four hours, but fear not -- it then auto-resets your access, and you can try again, most people with trouble the first round get in the second time no problem. Check your junk/spam folders for password reset links if you don't see one very soon after you request it, keep my email in your approved contacts box. heybuddy @ austinbddy .com (no spaces).

Enjoy this partial update, the Cygnus update Bank 1 sounds are great and the Marshall and modern/metal amps in it have never sounded better!

Okay rockers, the 1400+ Naked Amps Bank 1 update to Cygnus firmware 17.02 is DONE and should now be available in the "My Downloads" area of your account on my website.

The Bank 1 zip file file will have a label: Latest-Nov.2021_Cygnus_Fw17.02+_Partial_Update_Bank_1

Work on Bank 2 will start next month and I will complete it probably by early in 2022, maybe before that.

Use the email you bought with originally to login to my website. If you can't remember your password, you can reset it.

Note: if you try to login unsuccessfully more than a few times, the website's auto-security will think you are a BOT, and it will lock you out from logging in for about four hours, but fear not -- it then auto-resets your access, and you can try again, most people with trouble the first round get in the second time no problem. Check your junk/spam folders for password reset links if you don't see one very soon after you request it, keep my email in your approved contacts box. heybuddy @ austinbddy .com (no spaces).

Enjoy this partial update, the Cygnus update Bank 1 sounds are great and the Marshall and modern/metal amps in it have never sounded better!

SO COOL! I have been playing a Telecaster with the Fender models for the last few hours and have a huge smile on my face! Well done, Sir !

Question - I'm on the 18 beta and Cliff says there were changes to the compressors. Will that present an issue for these presets? If so I'm not hearing any :)

SO COOL! I have been playing a Telecaster with the Fender models for the last few hours and have a huge smile on my face! Well done, Sir !

Question - I'm on the 18 beta and Cliff says there were changes to the compressors. Will that present an issue for these presets? If so I'm not hearing any :)
I haven’t checked yet. Every preset as a compressor as a limiter after the cab block. You would have noticed if those were messed up probably. It is possible some pedal compressors may be different. Report what you guys find out here as you play ‘em if compressors seem screwy, and when I get Bank 2 out early 2022 will fix any of those in Bank 1 too.

I haven’t checked yet. Every preset as a compressor as a limiter after the cab block. You would have noticed if those were messed up probably. It is possible some pedal compressors may be different. Report what you guys find out here as you play ‘em if compressors seem screwy, and when I get Bank 2 out early 2022 will fix any of those in Bank 1 too.
For me, I found both the JFET and Optical types (what I currently prefer) changed Compression setting to 10 from whatever was there before. That's a definite change in sound for me.

For FW18 a number of the types including those 2 were reworked by Cliff and may also be similarly affected.

For me, I found both the JFET and Optical types (what I currently prefer) changed Compression setting to 10 from whatever was there before. That's a definite change in sound for me.

For FW18 a number of the types including those 2 were reworked by Cliff and may also be similarly affected.
Thanks. I generally use different The Studio FBack Compressor or the Analog compressor after amps. Gonna have to check everything out when I can find the time.

It’s a pain too that the III compressors are not always identical when used in FM9 or FM3, learned that the hard way and had to redo hundreds of compressor block threshold and Level settings after a TonePack port. The price of progress! 😁

If it helps, I've also been playing a Tele through some fender amp models and think it sounds fantastic.

I'm on 17, so I think between us we can say these presets just sound great!

@austinbuddy, giving this update to your customers for free pretty much guarantees that I'll be buying another of your packs. Thanks for your hard work.

Back
Top Bottom