Tim Pierce with the Fractal

Excellent video with sage, practical advice throughout. I can listen to Tim play all day and love how he, and others in the vid, give real world examples of how to 'simplify' the AxeFX and just get on with making music. Stay in the shallow end, or dive into the deep end...it's all there.

Years ago, I received my AFX-II late on a Tuesday, auditioned the factory presets, found a couple that worked for me pretty much right out of the box, and gigged the II three days later on the Friday with only the factory presets.

I received a couple of tone compliments from players afterwards, which is a testament to the utility of Fractal devices and the factory presets. All in all, I was up and running with the new device pretty much immediately, with stellar results. Over time, I did deep dives into the unit and created my own presets from scratch, but was very happy that going from opening the box to playing a large outdoor gig in a couple of days was as easy as it was.

Fast forward several years to the present and we have the amazing trio of the III, FM9, and FM3 which have upped the bar considerably since then...awesome stuff...

Great video indeed. I've talked to a fair number of guitarists who are afraid of the modeler realm because they don't realize (as Tim, Cooper, Rhett, and Rosh so rightly pointed out) that it's not necessary to use 300 different amps and countless different effects to get value from a Fractal rig. Just find the handful of amps and effects that makes YOUR sound, and play on.

You know, this is one of the best love letters to FAS. It doesn't run down anything else (like lose your amps), but explains just how flexible without compromise that this can be.

R
Exactly this!!!

I‘ve been saying for years that it’s never been “one or the other!” Why the heck would you do that! Tool… Just tools. I didn’t sell my wrenches when I bought a socket set. Just two ways to turn a bolt, sometimes one works, sometimes the other. Tools.

Love Tim’s playing, and I’ve enjoyed his videos because he’s not on a crusade for anything but making good music by playing good guitar. He’s got a killer set of amps. He knows good tone, and has proven it on a lot of records. He understands what the Axe Fx and FM9 are about.

Tools for making music. Tim gets it.

Exactly this!!!

I‘ve been saying for years that it’s never been “one or the other!” Why the heck would you do that! Tool… Just tools. I didn’t sell my wrenches when I bought a socket set. Just two ways to turn a bolt, sometimes one works, sometimes the other. Tools.

Love Tim’s playing, and I’ve enjoyed his videos because he’s not on a crusade for anything but making good music by playing good guitar. He’s got a killer set of amps. He knows good tone, and has proven it on a lot of records. He understands what the Axe Fx and FM9 are about.

Tools for making music. Tim gets it.
As does Andy Wood.

Loved the video - The only thing, I missed a little bit is Tim talking about how he uses his AxeIII in his daily work - he does mention switching up the palette and bringing it to sessions, but I was surprised he did not mention patching in effects

Back
Top Bottom