Potential FM3 purchase

drnat

Inspired
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about buying an FM3 with either the FC6 or 12. I am a newbie to fractal
I am a ‘bedroom’ player, who is intermediate standard - used to play years ago, and have recently started playing again. I have a Blackstar Series one 45 2x12 combo and not a huge amount of experience with modellers - I did buy (and then return) a Headrush gigboard with a HS5 monitor but didn’t like the sound - fizzy and artificial sounding distortion. I also played with a Helix floor in a guitar shop for about an hour. It was better than the gigboard, but still wasn’t that happy with the amp models.

I am planning on plugging the FM3 to the effects return of my S1-45. Is this going to sound more ‘amp in the room’ than an FRFR with cab emulation from the FM3? If I get an FRFR what is good? I was looking at the Laney LFR 112? Not wanting to spend a huge amount on an FRFR cab or studio monitors. Not sure what to get here?

A second question. I have read threads on the playing a mac or iPad through the FM3 to jam along with. I would want to be able to do this with both headphones and via the S1-45 or FRFR type cab. If I plug my headphones in, presumably this ‘mutes’ the output to the cab speakers and the audio from the computer/ipad will be heard through the headphones plugged into the FM3? Presumably I’d also need a cab block for use via headphones - is having separate presents for both headphones and plugging into the S1-45?

Many thanks for any advice/thoughts.

Well it will definitely be in the room, but with emulation turned off you're locked into just the sound of that cabinet and that's really limiting to jsut how much you can enjoy everything a Fractal can do, which is amazing.
I personally run through two (now ancient) Atomic CLR's and thus I can use any amp and cab IR and get what I want.

Atomics are great, XiTone FRFR is also hugely popular. I've never played Fractal through anything but my CLR's so I can't really speak to all the options that are out there.

If you want to go smaller, quality FRFR reference monitors are a good way to go.

You have two knobs for output and plugging in headsets as far as I know do not mute the other outs. I wouldn't know because my FM3 is an original "oops" batch unit with no headphone out.

You don't technically "need" a CAB block in any preset but you do need and OUT block regardless of whether or not you're going to headphones or a wedge or monitors or whatever.

@USMC_Trev he would NOT be turning "emulation" off ... Amp Sims would be ON when going into an Amp's RETURN. It's just CAB sims that would be off for this setup.

That's a fine way to operate, and very versatile. The manual covers this setup in great detail.

@drnat since you already have the S1-45 this sounds like a decent way to start. You can add on another FRFR for comparison if needed. The FM3 should sound AWESOME, and if it doesn't then dig deeper on the sound reinforcement aspect of your rig, whether monitors or FRFR.

While FC-6 is very sweet with the FM3, the FC-12 is in fact on sale and might be a case of "more is more!"
A setup called "OMG15" is included, allowing you to use these units together right out of the box.

We're also here to help as you dig in.

iu

The FM3+FC6 is a great combination.

With the OMG9 layout it's very flexible and easily portable for travel and live use. For local use I had mine attached using 3M Dual lock to a Temple Audio Duo 24, and wired with low profile plugs to their various modules so I could plug the guitar and pedals in on the right side, and the power and XLR out to the monitors on the left, keeping everything nice and neat. I use their Duo 24 bag for carrying that combination. For long trips I can pop the units off the board and pack them into a Studio Slip bag I had designed that makes them very easy to carry. If I don't want to use the FC6 I can switch the layout to the OMG3 or built-in layout and it's a tiny footprint.

As far as FRFR, some people go with the Headrush cabs, but I recommend spending for something better as it's responsible for reproducing the sound accurately. I had a 112, used it once, sold it and started upgrading. I'm currently using a pair of EV PXM-12MP, which are 1x12 and easily carried, one in each hand, with usable angles to tip them various ways, and which sound good with the FM3. You can run into the effects return of a regular guitar amp, but remember to turn off cab and power-amp modeling otherwise you'll be coloring the sound of the modeler multiple times.

I use USB play-through often. It does not automatically mute the speaker out when you plug in headphones. I need to keep the house quiet to ensure domestic tranquility, and use Sennheiser HD650 and Audio Technica ATH-M40x headphones. The HD650 are open-back and plenty loud and sound great, and are used in a lot of studios for mix-down. The Audio Technica are closed-back and are common in studios for recording. They (over) emphasize the bass. In any case, with headphones you can add a graphic or parametric EQ block immediately before the OUT block to help shift the headphone's EQ curve to a flatter response. And, yes, you'll want amp and cab modeling turned on with them.

Also, the headphone jack doesn't mute Out 1 when you plug in.

Thanks for the responses, really appreciated!
So, the FM3 may sound good with my valve amp as a power amp via the effects loop 🤞
Greg, the EV PXM-12MP look nice - not too bulky either - wife friendly

Just to check - USB audio is outputted to the headphones as well as the output 1?

@USMC_Trev he would NOT be turning "emulation" off ... Amp Sims would be ON when going into an Amp's RETURN. It's just CAB sims that would be off for this setup.

That's a fine way to operate, and very versatile. The manual covers this setup in great detail.

@drnat since you already have the S1-45 this sounds like a decent way to start. You can add on another FRFR for comparison if needed. The FM3 should sound AWESOME, and if it doesn't then dig deeper on the sound reinforcement aspect of your rig, whether monitors or FRFR.

While FC-6 is very sweet with the FM3, the FC-12 is in fact on sale and might be a case of "more is more!"
A setup called "OMG15" is included, allowing you to use these units together right out of the box.

We're also here to help as you dig in.
I've never operated in that mode so I can never be sure if I'm using the right verbage. Since the beginning it's been an Ax-FX II through two Mackie's until I got the CLR's. Never even questioned whether I needed to try anything else.

And yeah I totally forgot to mention my FC-12. FM3+FC-12/OMG15 = Good to GO. Not having to do any additional stepping to get to all the scenes in a preset is GOLD.

iu

Thanks for the responses, really appreciated!
So, the FM3 may sound good with my valve amp as a power amp via the effects loop 🤞

Just to check - USB audio is outputted to the headphones as well as the output 1?

That's exactly how I am using mine----and also on a desk with studio monitors.

I found leaving power amp modeling and cabinet modeling on better to my ears. Easy
enough top turn them off/on and compare to see what you prefer best. :)

I like them a lot. They sound good at low volume in my "place where the guitars live", and definitely can keep up with a loud band. I added extra feet to two other sides to make it easier to use alternate angles and to protect the finish from concrete and asphalt.

IMG_1028.png

I have also used them stacked so they're firing at 90º like stacked 1x12 cabinets. To do so I bought right angle adapters for the XLR and IEC (power) cords so the lower cabinet's jacks wouldn't be crushed.

Not really my case so I never made the numbers myself but... if more switches (FC6) are a must, I'd be also checking the FM9 as pricewise they might be similar options. Pros: more processing power, all-in-one package. Cons: availability (potentially long waitlist), less modularity, slightly higher price

So, just been playing with my Blackstar S1-45 - seems the effects loop isn’t working 😩. Put my ditto in it & no sound & tried to put my logic through it - again, no sound. Both work with my Boss Katana 100 head - though the speaker sounds rubbish on that.

So, will need to get studio monitors or an FRFR - extra expense.

@Lohengrin - have thought about. I’m on the waiting list for this with G66 - though may be a bit of a wait. I suspect I won’t need the DSP & like the idea of the FM3 on my desk with the foot controller on the floor….

FM3 + FC 6 or 12 + FRFR is getting quite expensive, not sure my beginner skills need this quality, but not sure I’ll be happy with less? 🤷‍♂️🤔

Thanks again for the help guys, appreciated

Yay, fixed the effects loop - loose connection!
Can’t get my DAW to play through it though?
The Katana head now does….

I like them a lot. They sound good at low volume in my "place where the guitars live", and definitely can keep up with a loud band. I added extra feet to two other sides to make it easier to use alternate angles and to protect the finish from concrete and asphalt.

View attachment 91335

I have also used them stacked so they're firing at 90º like stacked 1x12 cabinets. To do so I bought right angle adapters for the XLR and IEC (power) cords so the lower cabinet's jacks wouldn't be crushed.

How are you liking the EV? I use one for practice/gig. I find that the bass is boomy and the treble is a bit harsh? The frequency chart for the monitor seems to be not super flat. I brought the bass and treble down to -3 in the settings. What are your thoughts on it?

How are you liking the EV? I use one for practice/gig. I find that the bass is boomy and the treble is a bit harsh? The frequency chart for the monitor seems to be not super flat. I brought the bass and treble down to -3 in the settings. What are your thoughts on it?
Are you dialing in your presets at gig volume?

It sounds like it might be a classic case of Fletcher Munson going on...

Are you dialing in your presets at gig volume?

It sounds like it might be a classic case of Fletcher Munson going on...
Yeah, I am. I cut the cab block 80-6k and it's still harsh in the highs. Then most times I have to run the treble in the amp block lower than 5, which seems odd to me. For some reason I think it's a bright monitor. I can typically tame the bass a few different ways in the amp block.

View attachment 91335

greg, what depth screws did you use? i tried stick on feet, but theyre already falling off. reached out to bosch. never received a response. not impressed with their customer service.

Back
Top Bottom