1 week with Fm9...might stick with Fm3

My name hasn't come up for the FM9 yet, but the more time that passes, the more that I'm thinking that the FM3+FC6 is perfect for me.

I panic sold my FM3 about a week after the FM9 was announced, but then quickly realized that was a big mistake. I then bought an FM3+FC6 being sold together and I love the combo. I didn't have an FC6 before.

I love the fact that FM3 fits on the corner of my desk and that I can use it with or without the FC6 depending on the situation.

That all said, I'll probably cave and end up ordering an FM9 when the time comes!

My invite is sitting in Music folder and I'm trying to decide what to do. I have the FM3/FC6 combo, but thinking if I'm going to make the move, maybe I should move to the Axe III Turbo/FC12 and be done? Damn, what to do??

My invite is sitting in Music folder and I'm trying to decide what to do. I have the FM3/FC6 combo, but thinking if I'm going to make the move, maybe I should move to the Axe III Turbo/FC12 and be done? Damn, what to do??
$3200 vs. $1600. Hmmm, maybe buy two FM9's? (It's been said that you can do that with your invite, btw, but I don't remember where.)

You won't be disappointed that's for sure! But you have to determine your use cases to see what solution will work best. I have the III and FC-12 and really have zero limitations. But I don't always like hauling it all around so grabbed an FM9. I had an FM3 also and loved it. But there were times I wanted 6 extra buttons and didn't have an FC-6. Also my son plays bass and guitar and it will be handy to have more Fractal gear (never too much right). All in all if $$$ wasn't an issue, I would also grab another FM3 and FC-6. I can see how the FM3 would work great for some of my son's bass gigs, and FM9 is nice for my Church stuff and if I do other gigs someday. Axe-Fx III can sit at home most of the time in the music room. But there are some gigs I would need it for due to the blocks/horsepower for some of the presets I was working with. So given the direction Fractal has gone (modular approach), one should really just have one of every product they make :) Maybe Fractal can setup a system where part of my paycheck is garnished and funds go into a Fractal holding account and gear just shows up continually :)

The point should be always the needs.. It s like buying a super cell phone when you just use calling and whatsapp.. Sonically are the same with same preset configuration..

I am fine with my FM3/FC6 and Big Sky for verb. I only want FM9 for dual amps, and I only want to dual amps so I can put wet effects before the amps and still keep a stereo image. I wish I was seeing more demos from people putting the wet effects before the amps with the FM9.

In other words, its a lot of money to spend just to get that gnarly wet effects before amp sound.

With my FM3/FC6 combo I find myself hitting the CPU limits often. I solve that by usually making separating the presets into two different ones. There are currently a lot of FM3's for sale. If I could sell my stuff, the upgrade would be doable. Looking for a long enough time period between gigs to make the change? Might not happen till after our annual Valentines show! Bummer!

I love my Axe FX III/FC-12 rig. I took it to a rehearsal once and realized that a more compact rig would be more user friendly. I had the III in its Gator bag, the FC-12 in its Gator bag and my guitar all with me in the passenger seat of my drummer's pickup truck with little room for my feet. I can easily get by with a FM3 for rehearsals and if need be could still take the FC-12 to pair with it.

The FM9 would be a happy medium. In an ideal world I'd keep the III, FM3, FC-12, and add a FM9 for gigging but that seems like a lot. I'm feeling like if I get the FM9 I should let the FM3 go but I'd miss it.

So where I am at this point is I think I'm going to order the FM9 and keep the FM3 for a while to decide if I really need both. Real world experience is always more helpful in decision making than just pondering the variables.

I had the FM3/FC-6 combo and found it to be slightly heavier and took a bit more real estate on my Temple Audio board. I also do not miss fighting the FM3 CPU when tweaking my presets.

I really had no logical reasaon for getting the FM9. The FM3 was all I needed in my home studio. But since I have the FM9 I have found it so comforting to at least have the option to see more and do more. Doubt I will ever sell my FM3, but who knows. It's sitting on a dresser right now.
But, If I had to choose which one to keep, it would be the FM9, hands down...................I understand these decisions are tough.

You won't be disappointed that's for sure! But you have to determine your use cases to see what solution will work best. I have the III and FC-12 and really have zero limitations. But I don't always like hauling it all around so grabbed an FM9. I had an FM3 also and loved it. But there were times I wanted 6 extra buttons and didn't have an FC-6. Also my son plays bass and guitar and it will be handy to have more Fractal gear (never too much right). All in all if $$$ wasn't an issue, I would also grab another FM3 and FC-6. I can see how the FM3 would work great for some of my son's bass gigs, and FM9 is nice for my Church stuff and if I do other gigs someday. Axe-Fx III can sit at home most of the time in the music room. But there are some gigs I would need it for due to the blocks/horsepower for some of the presets I was working with. So given the direction Fractal has gone (modular approach), one should really just have one of every product they make :) Maybe Fractal can setup a system where part of my paycheck is garnished and funds go into a Fractal holding account and gear just shows up continually :)
FAS subscription service is sounding pretty tempting right now

Back
Top Bottom