For those that have an Axe-Fx III and an FM3

I got both too. If budget and portability are not an issue, the answer is easy.

IMHO, the FM3 would be enough for many average use cases though. However, AF is a must for:

2. Multi-instrument: AFIII is capable of driving several players at once (two guitars, two guitars+vocals, two guitars and bass... you name it).
3 musicians ? How ? There is only 2 amps block at the same time .
I asked myself yesterday if it was possible to put 2 guitars AND vocals or bass , and it seems it’s not possible . @Admin M@ am I wrong ?

Buy two Axe Fx IIIIs. One in a carrying case and the other at home in a rack. I would rather lug around an extra Axe then have limited capabilities live. I’d pay for a full floor version (like the Helix), whatever it would cost and hopefully it would be as big as the Cortex…
Ditto. Take my money, please...

3 musicians ? How ? There is only 2 amps block at the same time .
I asked myself yesterday if it was possible to put 2 guitars AND vocals or bass , and it seems it’s not possible . @Admin M@ am I wrong ?
Sure you can! The bass doesn't need an amp block; just use the Darkglass pedal and EQ/IR. For mic, you'd need a preamp (get a cheap Art or something) and throw it in one of the extra inputs. You could get away with even more instruments, I think, depending on how fancy-schmancy you wished to get :)

Sure you can! The bass doesn't need an amp block; just use the Darkglass pedal and EQ/IR. For mic, you'd need a preamp (get a cheap Art or something) and throw it in one of the extra inputs. You could get away with even more instruments, I think, depending on how fancy-schmancy you wished to get :)
Thanks ! I need to try . For now I have tried 2 guitars, I don’t have tried 4 separate chains in the same preset

I've found that they do sound slightly different? Sometimes the volume matching between amps is slightly off if I port a preset, and generally I find the Axe III to sound and feel a little bit.. squishier? It's small and you'd never notice it in a mix, but it is there IMO. However, that said, it could be that my two XLR cables sound a little different, and I don't use the same guitar cable when I'm A/Bing, but I have switched the guitar cables over and noticed differences.

I mean, this is minimal stuff at best. It's not even close to enough to care in the slightest.

I use and love both. Different rigs for different gigs!

Last edited:
I’m an Fx3 user who happily lugs around a 3RU case and an FC12. Fm9 sounds tantalising to just have one case, but I love getting the firmware updates hot off the press too much.

Back
Top Bottom