Loose IEC port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
find it hard to believe that IEC is not secured by screws... hope when I get mine I'm not having this problem.

Obviously this is not acceptable. Someone will probably lose their job over this. I will be meeting with production tomorrow.
The plastic tabs (or perimeter ridge) that hold it to the chassis probably aren't big enough. It should take a lot of pressure, almost to the point of needing a dab of dish soap on the tabs, to press it into the chassis. (I'm assuming that's how it's designed, since people reported being able to just pop it back in to place.)

Last edited:
find it hard to believe that IEC is not secured by screws... hope when I get mine I'm not having this problem.
Until the hardware changes, the problem will persist. The only way is not to pull out the power plug at all.

Just got mine back. Honestly, the fix looks like amateur hour, definitely doesn’t look like a professional resolution. I’m quite disappointed in Fractal with this situation
I do not believe. It is impossible. It's not even funny. Image disaster.

THAT.... is a colossal blunder. With every unit being obviously tested after burnin and before shipping, they`d have seen this as they were removing the power cords. hmmmmm ;o(
Tiaaaa…..quality control.
As of today: do not touch the power plug.
Tomorrow: new power plug / new housing / bonding but professional

. Give him time to address it.
That's true. Let's give him a chance.

THAT.... is a colossal blunder. With every unit being obviously tested after burnin and before shipping, they`d have seen this as they were removing the power cords. hmmmmm ;o(
I wouldn’t go that far. I mean, it didn’t happen the first few times.

I’m sure that particular part has a tolerance for its punch size. It’s just been slightly exceeded haha. We’re talking a few thousandths of an inch. Not sure what the fix will be for us that already have a unit in hand, though.

I thought I would inspect mine closely, and I can see that if I'm not REAL careful, mine will be pulled out soon enough. Check out these videos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mwbb1ou0oa8cmu/IMG_3107.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfieuo1a7esjo4i/IMG_3108.MOV?dl=0

In the meantime, if I have to unplug it, I'll be careful to hold the housing. But just slight wiggling like you see here seems problematic...

That looks like the same component as in the FM3 and that works well. So it looks like a stamping tolerance issue rather than cheap components.

This could potentially hault shipment of units if they find this to be an issue with the ones they are currently shipping. It could also be a PITA to fix if the hole has been stamped just a little too big.

I just traded my QC for a FM9 and saw this news. Gripe all you want about neural but I had reassurance that even though my QC was used, they would fix any issues. Maybe Fractal will make an exception if this truly is widespread. Regardless.....still think I won out on that trade lol

That looks like the same component as in the FM3 and that works well. So it looks like a stamping tolerance issue rather than cheap components.
It only takes a few thousandths to go from tight to loose on stuff like this. Accurate punches are critical.

I got this 'left angle' plug, cut the other end off, tucked it through the board, and installed a replacement plug from Ace Hardware so mine didn't have to be plugged/unplugged often:

1026210813.jpg

I don't have a verified count, but I doubt it had had a power pluggie in and out even 10 times before getting this, and I am generally pretty careful, so no problems here (knock wood).

1026210813_HDR.jpg

It only takes a few thousandths to go from tight to loose on stuff like this. Accurate punches are critical.

I got this 'left angle' plug, cut the other end off, tucked it through the board, and installed a replacement plug from Ace Hardware so mine didn't have to be plugged/unplugged often:

View attachment 90871

I don't have a verified count, but I doubt it had had a power pluggie in and out even 10 times before getting this, and I am generally pretty careful, so no problems here (knock wood).

View attachment 90872
I wish I had this type of skillset! Lol

And it seems the same as in the ax8 and fx8 too, so definitely not a component issue

I looked into this today. Apparently the IEC connector was not installed properly in some units resulting in weakening of the tabs. All units are being checked to ensure that the connector is securely in place. The unit that was returned should have had the connector replaced, not glued in. The technician is new and didn't understand the proper repair procedure. He has been given instructions on the proper repair procedure.

It is not a widespread issue and we did not find any units in the several dozen we inspected this morning exhibiting the issue.

I looked into this today. Apparently the IEC connector was not installed properly in some units resulting in weakening of the tabs. All units are being checked to ensure that the connector is securely in place. The unit that was returned should have had the connector replaced, not glued in. The technician is new and didn't understand the proper repair procedure. He has been given instructions on the proper repair procedure.

It is not a widespread issue and we did not find any units in the several dozen we inspected this morning exhibiting the issue.
If we do have an issue with a loose IEC, and let's say bought it used, are we out of luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom