Ask your doc about your testosterone levels!

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Fellas....ask your doc about your testosterone levels! I am surprised by how many musician friends have NEVER had their testosterone levels check by their doctors. Age 35 or so, start asking your doc because that is when it can start diving. Yes workout, don't smoke, eat right and be healthy first. But if you do all that and then still feel like drag ass, ask to see what levels you are at. Simple. Best case is you go to a hormone clinic that specializes, because most docs don't know much about it truthfully.

Nothing for me to gain from this other than hopefully some of you fellas getting help and learning that testosterone replacement therapy is not "taking steroids".

Fellas....ask your doc about your testosterone levels! I am surprised by how many musician friends have NEVER had their testosterone levels check by their doctors. Age 35 or so, start asking your doc because that is when it can start diving. Yes workout, don't smoke, eat right and be healthy first. But if you do all that and then still feel like drag ass, ask to see what levels you are at. Simple. Best case is you go to a hormone clinic that specializes, because most docs don't know much about it truthfully.

Nothing for me to gain from this other than hopefully some of you fellas getting help and learning that testosterone replacement therapy is not "taking steroids".
So, how is it not "taking steroids"?
Once you start replacement therapy, is there any stopping it or are you in it for the rest of your life?
It might be better to lift and eat right to increase your own T output.

So, how is it not "taking steroids"?
Once you start replacement therapy, is there any stopping it or are you in it for the rest of your life?
It might be better to lift and eat right to increase your own T output.
Because it is not steroids. You are replacing the very thing you are low on. Nothing is ABOVE level. And my original statement said FOR THOSE THAT EAT RIGHT AND EXERCISE and still low. In addition, steroids are typically a class for things that mimic testosterone, but alter its molecules. Testosterone replacement is synthetic test, but it is same as what body produces(or much closer). Dbol and Deca are synthetic alterations of test. And yes, once on you stay on. Or dont get tested, run low and always have other issues that arise from having low test. It is a choice and all I state is learn about it.

Last edited:
There are many other tests that are far more important for an adult man than a Testosterone level, starting with a Colon Cancer Screening
So me mentioning something that most docs bypass is somehow stating it is the most important test that needs to be done? Never mind guys...Obviously open mind is closed here.

So me mentioning something that most docs bypass is somehow stating it is the most important test that needs to be done? Never mind guys...Obviously open mind is closed here.
Not lost on everyone.
I eat well, I lift, I get screened for colon cancer....and also may get my T level checked. If I found something that would help my workouts be more effective, I'd be open to it. Getting older and hammering at the gym every week is an uphill battle. If I have low T, I'd like to find out if there are safe ways to improve it.

My urologist has been recommending testosterone treatment for me as my levels has dropped to the lower end of normal over the last few years. This stuff tends to be expensive, though, unless deemed absolutely necessary for your health.

I'm 59 now, and certainly my overall energy and resilience could use a boost, so I tried some samples in the form of a micro injection cartridge, sort of like an epi-pen, once per week for 3 weeks. I did get a noticeable overall boost, though it wasn't night and day. Due to the crazy cost of these shots, I'm now using a daily topical application. 1 month's supply is $60 after insurance coverage (costs $600 per bottle otherwise!!!!)

I'm having my T levels tested again in January to see if it's a better number. Though I feel the net positive from T supplements, in my case I don't experience the gains as pitched by my urologist. Don't know if I'll continue.

It’s good to check things that trail off as you get older. At 61, I can tell you that the drive to push myself through high intensity workouts takes more than it used to. Still, I’m committed to keeping myself fit for as long as I’m physically able, which will be a lot longer because I’m doing it now!

Certainly no harm in having your T level checked. Don’t let the flak bug you. Maybe they are low. 😊

This kind of random inaccurate over simplified and potentially dangerous information coming from I guess a self professed expert has no place on this website. Even in the lounge I would keep random bouts of medical advice from non professionals out. Yes I am a professional. I will also add, these 'hormone clinics' or age centers will inject you with anything to make a buck. They will also tell you your doctor is wrong, they dont know, here is the fountain of youth blah blah blah.

This kind of random inaccurate over simplified and potentially dangerous information coming from I guess a self professed expert has no place on this website. Even in the lounge I would keep random bouts of medical advice from non professionals out. Yes I am a professional. I will also add, these 'hormone clinics' or age centers will inject you with anything to make a buck. They will also tell you your doctor is wrong, they dont know, here is the fountain of youth blah blah blah.

Yup. It's pretty well-known that T-injections and exogenous synthetic boosts simply weaken the body's already
depleted ability to endogenously produce Test. But hey, it's not like people have flaunted and taunted
nature before and sown a whirlwind as a result.

"Exogenous administration of synthetic testosterone results in negative feedback on the hypothalamic-pituitary axis, inhibiting GnRH, leading to inhibition of FSH and LH production. As a result, intratesticular testosterone levels (ITT) and overall testosterone production decrease."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4708215/

I know a guy who started testosterone therapy. He's impossible to be around some days because his temper is uncontrollable. He flies off the handle at the slightest provocation now.

I know another guy who did testosterone therapy and promptly developed prostate cancer.

IMO you don't f*ck with this stuff. Your testosterone drops as you get older for a reason. Deal with it.

Different story for me. My 24 year old son is transgender (female to male) and has been taking testosterone for about two years now. Weekly injections of 2.5ml. It took some time to learn what was the right dose for him. When it was a higher dosage, his anxiety level, BP was very high along with very bad mood swings. I jokingly told him "welcome to man-hood". Long story short, you need to make sure you're at the right levels especially when you have to manually inject testosterone the rest of your life.

From what I've read, seems like testosterone boosts are linked with an increase in heart problems as well. Of course, are these people taking a dose just to keep them above proper levels for their age, or are they getting it from a clinic that is giving them the levels of a 20 yo? I have no idea.

I've known two friends that shared they were on it. One was getting a really small dose because of some other medical condition he had that tanked his T. The other was getting it to feel young again. He pretty much got in trouble with that. One minute, he's got the great house in the burbs, hot wife, kids, and the next, he's living in a studio in the city, a DUI, spends all his time trying to get laid, and only has supervised time with his kids after an anger incident.

I know a guy who started testosterone therapy. He's impossible to be around some days because his temper is uncontrollable. He flies off the handle at the slightest provocation now.

I know another guy who did testosterone therapy and promptly developed prostate cancer.

IMO you don't f*ck with this stuff. Your testosterone drops as you get older for a reason. Deal with it.
I have a friend who went on it half dozen years ago. He claimed it was great so I asked my doc about it. He told me - in so many words - exactly what Cliff said. It's normal and natural to drop. Screwing with that is not wise.

My urologist has been recommending testosterone treatment for me as my levels has dropped to the lower end of normal over the last few years. This stuff tends to be expensive, though, unless deemed absolutely necessary for your health.

I'm 59 now, and certainly my overall energy and resilience could use a boost, so I tried some samples in the form of a micro injection cartridge, sort of like an epi-pen, once per week for 3 weeks. I did get a noticeable overall boost, though it wasn't night and day. Due to the crazy cost of these shots, I'm now using a daily topical application. 1 month's supply is $60 after insurance coverage (costs $600 per bottle otherwise!!!!)

I'm having my T levels tested again in January to see if it's a better number. Though I feel the net positive from T supplements, in my case I don't experience the gains as pitched by my urologist. Don't know if I'll continue.
I do not know where you live nor what type of insurance you have. Most guys I know get it for much less than that through insurance.

This is not typical. You seem to have mind made and that is fine. But there is so much more to it than your black and white depiction.

Dangerous info? By saying get a test to see if you are low?

Yikes. FWIW I've been skeptical about T therapy, and only tried it because I got free trial doses. Now that I'm 5 weeks into the treatments, I'm not convinced it is significantly beneficial. I literally mentioned to my urologist what Cliff said about the natural aging process, and tend to prefer non-prescription solutions.

Back
Top Bottom