Yamaha SPX90 Symphonic + Pitch B & C

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
First of all, many thanks to Leon (@2112) for supplying me with everything I needed to dial in these famous presets on the Axe-Fx. I lost count on how many clips he had to record. But it turned out great, and got the approval of Leon when he compared to his SPX90, so here we go:

Pitch
The real unit is super noisy, and as transparent as a brick wall. It has a really weird frequency response, so you most definitely wouldn't want to run your dry signal through it, but rather in a mixer. The latency is also quite significant. And yes, Pitch B is a mono algorithm, so that's no mistake.

Ch A: Pitch B, Mike Landaus "Womanizer" settings
Ch B: Pitch B, stock settings
Ch C: Pitch C

Symphonic
Ending the debate of what this preset actually is, it's a 3 voice chorus. Not a flanger or anything else. The reason it has a flangey quality is because the minimum delay times are so small, that the voices run into the dry signal, creating that whoosing effect. The voices are panned L/M/R, similar to a tri-stereo chorus.

The big difference though, is that the voices are modulated by 2 LFOs, with the left and right voices using LFO phase offsets (plural) for both LFOs compared to the middle voice. This makes the effect appear almost random. It's actually not, it's just that it takes almost 17 seconds for all the voices to get back to where they started.

And yeah, it sucks to have to use both multitap delay blocks to do this, but it's the only way. Place both blocks in parallel.

Routing example.jpg

Attachments

• Symphonic 12_20211021_194956.blk
    1.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Symphonic 22_20211021_195006.blk
    1.4 KB · Views: 200
  • SPX90 Pitch_20211022_141622.blk
    1.4 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Excited to try this, but I'm a little confused on how to set up the blocks ....

Both in Parallel ..., but do they feed into each other or separately ? Same w/ the Pitch ..., Parallel or Series ( ? ) and do the Multi-Delays feed into the Pitch Block, or vice versa ?

Maybe a screen shot of how you've got it set up would help ?

THANKS so much for taking this on !

Excited to try this, but I'm a little confused on how to set up the blocks ....

Both in Parallel ..., but do they feed into each other or separately ? Same w/ the Pitch ..., Parallel or Series ( ? ) and do the Multi-Delays feed into the Pitch Block, or vice versa ?

Maybe a screen shot of how you've got it set up would help ?

THANKS so much for taking this on !
I'll add a screenshot.

Sounds sweet. Awesome job. Is there any particular reason you used the Dual Chromatic for the pitch instead of the detune. You have tracking off and are not using any of the parameters that are not available in the detune? The detune sounds virtually identical and save a little cpu.

Sounds sweet. Awesome job. Is there any particular reason you used the Dual Chromatic for the pitch instead of the detune. You have tracking off and are not using any of the parameters that are not available in the detune? The detune sounds virtually identical and save a little cpu.
Because it's better ;) The pitch tracking parameter still works, and it's crucial to get the sound of those old units. Same with the Eventide H3000. It controls the splice length.

Back
Top Bottom