Moving a CPU Out of A Control Room/Studio

USB can get wonky over long distances.

Look into USB extenders tha go over Cat5 (Ethernet) cables.

I use a bunch of them in my studio and to run USB up between floors in the house.

I was curious about this option. So convert USB to Cat5 and then back again?

Yes went right through the wall! Small piece of pipe/conduit to fish cables through and tightened it up with some fabric insulation around the cables. Zero sound travel between the 2 rooms.

How many runs did you do? I am looking like I need 3 or 4.

Can I ask what size of pipe you used?

It seems like you probably solved this, but if you only need USB 2.0, there are active repeaters that I've used for that before. I haven't tried USB 3, ThunderBolt, or USB-C versions, but they do exist. I believe TB/USB-C has to go over Optical cables if you want distance out of it, but I could easily be wrong.

I had my computers in a separate room with the cables going through the walls for a while with a couple active repeaters (one for the AI, one to a hub for everything else).

When it was time to upgrade the computer, I went with a mesh case and huge fans set to default to slow speeds (5 140mm case fans and a Noctua dual tower cooler with 2 more 140mm fans) and an 80+ Platinum PSU....it's quieter in the room than my server rack with lesser fans in my machine room was except when it's exporting...at which point it doesn't matter. It's also all NVMe storage in the box, so no noise there. And, I run integrated graphics for a variety of reasons....so coil whine and crummy fans on video cards just don't come into play.

As dumb as it sounds to take advice from gamers, GamersNexus on YouTube does SPL-normalized cooling performance comparisons....which is what lead to all of my PC hardware decisions. The details may have changed since I built this tower, but I'd still almost blindly follow their results if I were building again today.

Back
Top Bottom