Wish Full fledged Custom Amp Builder

jin1995x

Inspired
Currently, we can do it tweaking an amp completely utilising all the advanced parameters, but there's still some patameters and things that are modelled which aren't accessible to the user which are important in creating that amp sound, which is why no 2 high gain amps with same advanced parameters, tubes and settings sound the same for example.

I am wondering, If we can have a full custom amp builder at some point?

Would be fun to try i guess!

Maybe Cliff can chime in and share what implications/ complications this can have?

P.S: I know its not as simple as i am stating, but after getting the 3 i have learned more closely how an amp works, and tried to utilise as many advanced parameters i can to tweak some sounds to my liking, and thus enjoy it.

Last edited:
It's not just parameters that need to be exposed. You'd need some way to describe the whole topology of the amp circuit and its knobs and switches, what's connected to what. It would also need to be expressed in some way that's both user and developer friendly.

This is a nontrivial ask, and one that's only really valuable to end users with the knowledge to design state of the art amps from scratch, not a big group I'd wager.

Best leave it to Mr Wizard I'd say, much as that goes against my grain.

It's not just parameters that need to be exposed. You'd need some way to describe the whole topology of the amp circuit and its knobs and switches, what's connected to what. It would also need to be expressed in some way that's both user and developer friendly.

This is a nontrivial ask, and one that's only really valuable to end users with the knowledge to design state of the art amps from scratch, not a big group I'd wager.

Best leave it to Mr Wizard I'd say, much as that goes against my grain.
You are certainly right, but then the same can be said about providing 8-9 tabs of advanced parameters, in the amp block, saying you need knowledge to do so.

I certainly believe there are people who can design amps theoretically with good results.

We can maybe even have some templates upon which we build the sound, that would make it more developer and user friendly i guess

No one has done it yet, but if done well this can open a new rabbit hole.

I would be part of the small group interested in this definitely, it can be the next big step for fractal after modelling so many amps so damn well, and also making a tonne of fas amps.

Last edited:
Interesting idea. What parameter(s) is missing currently?
The whole schematic of an amp and how to gain stage it and where, values of components, types of components used, how they fit and perform in the circuit as a whole, whether the pots are linear taper or log taper and much more we dk,

Last edited:
Nice i see a decade has passed , haha! probably now is the time!
Exactly, I told you it was brought up forever ago! 😂
It had come up a couple of times and Cliff wasn’t opposed to the idea if I remember correctly. He had said that he’s been considering something like that but I don’t think he ever got time to implement it.

Cool idea for the DIY crowd!

The whole schematic of an amp and how to gain stage it and where, values of components, types of components used, how they fit and perform in the circuit as a whole, whether the pots are linear taper or log taper and much more we dk,

I feel like the number of people who want an amp designer is small enough that it would be a second venture, if anything.

I feel like the number of people who want an amp designer is small enough
Once people see how cool it is, i think alot more will jump in, depends on how it is implemented if at all.

However if Cliff makes up his mind, it seems very likely to me.

I feel like the number of people who want an amp designer is small enough that it would be a second venture, if anything.
Exactly. Most people are not even using the advanced parameters already offered for them. They cry "add model of amp X" and still ask for it even if someone says "you just pick this model, set this and that and there you have it". I get having preset sounds as amp models is nice but majority of the amps out there are not unique enough that you cannot already replicate them with all the stuff in the Axe-Fx.

I would expect that a custom amp builder would see very little usage because it would be too complicated for most users and there would be a small group of "custom builder gurus" who can be bothered to figure it all out and then people will just go "oh yeah, you should download this person's custom amp pack 43, it's the best!" and we are basically back to square one, except Fractal no longer has to make amp models themselves.

Could it be like the "Power amp only" thing that Cliff just doesn't wanna expose parameters that could be reverse engineered? Other than that, I recall Cliff refraining to expose more advanced parameters that could potentially lead to unexpected behavior when the user is not experienced at all, like some of them causing nasty feedback when using extreme settings, etc... That would be a support nightmare and worst when some guy blows his speakers off because he was "just messing" with those parameters.

Could it be like the "Power amp only" thing that Cliff just doesn't wanna expose parameters that could be reverse engineered? Other than that, I recall Cliff refraining to expose more advanced parameters that could potentially lead to unexpected behavior when the user is not experienced at all, like some of them causing nasty feedback when using extreme settings, etc... That would be a support nightmare and worst when some guy blows his speakers off because he was "just messing" with those parameters.
Possibly, maybe some constraints can be added.

oh yeah, you should download this person's custom amp pack 43, it's the best!" and we are basically back to square one,
A whole new market place! xD
Most people are not even using the advanced parameters already offered for them. They cry "add model of amp X" and still ask for it even if someone says "you just pick this model, set this and that and there you have it
Yeah true unfortunately,they donot realise the power of some of the stuff we can tweak.

Fractal can still and always make its own amps and model newer ones, This could just be an added feature. Albeit really complex.

Tell you what, OP. Exhaust all your options with available parameters, then see if you still thirst from a ground-up option.
You can call me Jin ,

Been there done that, again the reason for this is not to chase a sound , i am able to do it already.

This idea to just mess around and make something cool all on your own.

As you read above cliff wasn’t really opposed to the idea. it just probably never got implemented due to the niche and other priorities.

Again i expect 99 out of 100 people to not care about it, but only Cliff needs to care about it for it to be implemented.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom