Axe Fx III vs. vintage 80s Rack

rrhoads17

Inspired
Has anyone ever owned a Michael Landau, Dann Huff or Lukather style rack and compared the effects and preamps to the Axe Fx III for fun? If so, what were your findings?

@2112 ( Leon Todd )
@Mark Day

I know there's more ..., but these guys definitely !

You can also search their YouTube channels ..., It might take some digging ..., but I think you'll find exactly what you're looking for ....

I owned a nice rack, TC2290, Eventide H8000, Lexicon PCM 70, 81 running a Mesa 2:90 stereo power amp, Engl 570 preamp.
2- 4x12 in stereo using a switchblade for routing.
Now you can get that all in one device. The rack was overkill at this point. The Fractal is much easier to route effects without additional patch cables and other tone sucking items involved. Having it all self contained eliminates all that.

Well the Tri-Stereo Chorus in the Axe-fx was based on mine. I have a a Tri-Stereo Chorus , TC2290, TC1210, Eventide H8000 and Eclipse, several preamp/poweramps,,plus a bunch of other gear that I have built many racks with. I wouldn't even want to think about having to haul that stuff around anymore.

@DaveP I used have a Engl 580 a long time ago (before the Axe-FX replaced it). That was an awesome MIDI controlled preamp.

Well the Tri-Stereo Chorus in the Axe-fx was based on mine. I have a a Tri-Stereo Chorus , TC2290, TC1210, Eventide H8000 and Eclipse, several preamp/poweramps,,plus a bunch of other gear that I have built many racks with. I wouldn't even want to think about having to haul that stuff around anymore.

@DaveP I used have a Engl 580 a long time ago (before the Axe-FX replaced it). That was an awesome MIDI controlled preamp.
Ah, can they model your 1210?? Lol If not, which chorus is closest to it? It definitely has its own sound. I'd love to build a rack, but A) it's way too expensive to buy the rack gear that is worth collecting and B) it all seems like a nightmare to route, using a mixer, etc.

Sorry, not sure what happened to my post. Doh!.
The Engle 580 was great as well. I had one of those. Plus they looked really cool. Chrome plated.

With the 1210, it really depends what you are trying to do. It has a lot of features as a chorus, flanger, and enhancer. It is basically 2 chorus/flangers that can interact with each other. There are some presets out there that capture particular settings. Either using a dual chorus or flangers would be a good start. Personally, I would go with flangers(for all the extra feature and granularity) and possibly an enhancer afterward.
The key is to turn the auto depth off. and mess with the delay time a depth manually. There is great info in the TC1210 thread Smittefar posted.

Looks like you accidentally deleted it. I undeleted it for you.
Thanks.

Each of the older units had their own voice. The delays in the 2290 were so lush. The reverb of the Lexicon, the effects in the Eventide. All served a purpose. The Serial Delays of the Eventide are awesome. The axe covers all of those areas extremely well. Not exactly the same but close enough for me.

honestly the only thing the fractal really can't easily replace is an eventide. The algorithms are so involved and some are quite complex which makes them unique. It CAN be done in a fractal, but would take an awful lot of work.

Back
Top Bottom