Wish Can we have a couple more VolPan instances per preset?

Thanks Marcel,

You could also explore selecting which outboard loop is active by panning the signal as it is sent out of the Out 3 and Out 4 blocks instead of the returns.
  • One channel panned Center (both connected effects receive a signal)
  • One channel panned Left (only the left connected effect receives a signal)
  • One channel panned Right (only the right connected effect receives a signal)
  • Bypassed (neither connected effect receive a signal)

Input blocks 3 and 4 could go directly to your Gate. This would also preserve any 'tails' coming from the outboard effects after switching?

Thanks Marcel,

You could also explore selecting which outboard loop is active by panning the signal as it is sent out of the Out 3 and Out 4 blocks instead of the returns.
  • One channel panned Center (both connected effects receive a signal)
  • One channel panned Left (only the left connected effect receives a signal)
  • One channel panned Right (only the right connected effect receives a signal)
  • Bypassed (neither connected effect receive a signal)

Input blocks 3 and 4 could go directly to your Gate. This would also preserve any 'tails' coming from the outboard effects after switching?
Thanks for that interesting approach. I'm trying to figure out how I would make that work with the FC-12 since I need to be able to switch each pedal on/off individually in one of the layouts. I can see it working for scenes where I can change the Off-L-C-R setting between scenes but I can't think of a way to do it with the FC-12. I could almost use channels to implement that but there are 4 potential states and I don't think there's a way to implement it like that. There would have to be logic in the switches to determine which state it's currently in.

I was thinking that maybe you were using scenes to select them? If you are manually switching this, then you will need 4 blocks to do that. But there are a lot of low CPU blocks that can pan their outputs.

I wish there was an "expert mode" (for lack of a better term) that would allow us to use more blocks than originally allocated with the understanding that "expert users" will be extra careful and understanding that you can't put 10 Reverb blocks in the signal chain.
Understanding that "users will be extra careful and that you can't put 10 Reverb blocks in the signal chain."

🤣 Aye, there's the rub.

Users are like children playing with toys -- or more accurately the population of users explores corners of the configuration space that wasn't imagined or planned for or protected against. That's why beta testing is so useful. And that's why putting limits in place reduces headaches for FAS.

Could also be that the threading hw/sw architecture supports max 4 blocks of same type for some reason.

But, in principle I could see up to N (or 6) blocks of each type (which has been requested before by @Piing ), where N is determined by the maximum possible blocks of that type that could "fit" in the CPU limits assuming some baseline load (~10% for one IN and OUT); for example, 3 AMPs or 5 REVs or 6 SYNs.

Of course if FAS increases the number of blocks and for some reason would need to roll something back due to CPU or other design reasons (e.g. we "lost" one IRP in 17 beta but Cliff put it back), users would not be happy....

Last edited:
I actually have two more specialized pedals I'd like to add to this setup but I'm out of controllable in/out channels. I looked into buying a MIDI controlled loop switcher that was able to select 6+ pedals individually with the ability to only send the processed signal back into the signal chain and the switching occurs on the audio return but I couldn't find one that did all that.
6 mono midi-controlled loops: http://voodoolab.com/hex_switcher.htm

I tried that one. It’s technically two independent series loops which is partially usable for me but the problem is that the switching mechanism is on the loop out (pedal in). I need the switch to be in the loop in (pedal out). I actually worked with Morningstar on a solution but their hardware can’t do it either in the present state even if they changed the firmware. They stated they’ll consider it for a future release.

That's because you want tails from the effects after they are switched out?

Back in the 90s, I had to use an Uptown Technologies Flash to split my signal to different devices, and then capture the device outputs separately using a Rane SM26 line mixer. Two rack spaces to support tails... I eventually replaced the Flash+SM26 with a single rackspace Switchblade GL. The Switchblades will do what you want but are considerably higher priced than the Hex or ML5.
https://www.soundsculpture.com/switchblade
https://www.soundsculpture.com/switchblade-rack

That's because you want tails from the effects after they are switched out?

Back in the 90s, I had to use an Uptown Technologies Flash to split my signal to different devices, and then capture the device outputs separately using a Rane SM26 line mixer. Two rack spaces to support tails... I eventually replaced the Flash+SM26 with a single rackspace Switchblade GL. The Switchblades will do what you want but are considerably higher priced than the Hex or ML5.
https://www.soundsculpture.com/switchblade
https://www.soundsculpture.com/switchblade-rack
My effects don’t have tails (they’re synth sounds) but if I could use the Hex I would need a summing amp to merge all of the pedal outs into a single input on the FX3. It gets a little clunky at that point.

I did I look at the Switchblade and it does exactly what I need but it’s about $1,000. Maybe I’ll be able to do that when I get my tax return next year. That would free up all my VolPan blocks.

I tried that one. It’s technically two independent series loops which is partially usable for me but the problem is that the switching mechanism is on the loop out (pedal in). I need the switch to be in the loop in (pedal out). I actually worked with Morningstar on a solution but their hardware can’t do it either in the present state even if they changed the firmware. They stated they’ll consider it for a future release.
Am I understanding this correctly that with this loop switcher if you disable a loop it basically cuts out the return of the loop but you would prefer if it cut out the input? Why does this make a difference?

I've been thinking of getting the Morningstar ML5 for my pedalboard to have MIDI controllable loops and I'm wondering if this is something I need to be aware of.

Am I understanding this correctly that with this loop switcher if you disable a loop it basically cuts out the return of the loop but you would prefer if it cut out the input? Why does this make a difference?

I've been thinking of getting the Morningstar ML5 for my pedalboard to have MIDI controllable loops and I'm wondering if this is something I need to be aware of.
Here's two diagrams to help me explain better. I prefer the Pre FX Switch because it allows for tails (not a current requirement of mine but a nice to have) but I'll settle for the Post FX Switch if possible with a MIDI Looper. Currently my implementation within the FX3 is limited to post FX switching. The Dry Send on the MIDI Looper has proven to be the challenge since they will normally include the wet signal from the prior external FX.

The Switchblade 8F does exactly this but it's almost $1,000. I just came across the Mini Effects Gizmo X last night and that's cheaper and might do the same thing so I'm looking into that.

MIDI Looper - Post FX Switching.jpg

MIDI Looper - Pre FX Switching.jpg

FYI, I heard back from RJM and the Mini Effects Gizmo X won't really accomplish what either drawing depicts. Looks like the Sound Sculpture Switchblade models are the only game in town for this level of custom routing. Now the question is do I wait for Black Friday or do I order it now...

Sounds to me like a parallel mixer like the Musicomlab Parallelizer would be closer to what you are looking for.
That's a pretty cool pedal - thanks for sharing. I've never seen it before. After reading the manual it wouldn't work for what I need but I can see this being useful for others. It supports three pedals with stereo returns if that's what someone is looking for.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up ordering the Switchblade 8 rackmount version. There's really nothing close to it when it comes to custom routing. Plus it gives me expandability. I currently use 4 pedals but actually own 6 that I want to leverage. I still have room for 1 more after that (I have to use up one of the loops for the Axe FX 3 in/out so this will support 7 pedals).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom