How are you guys using the new fullres IRs?

phil92

Experienced
firstly let me say that I am thrilled even we old Mk I users get to play with these! I had already written them off.

Now I'm curious how people are approaching those.

I have this dual amp preset that I reduced a bit and added an IR player in parallel to add the dimensionality of the fullres IRs. I feel it adds a bit of 'realness' that I didn't know was missing.

Have a play, let me know what you think and how you are using them!

You may have to remap the volume and the wah, or just disable them. I have scenes for both fullres and regular IRs, only fullres and only regular for quick comparison. I loaded some different fullres IRs into Channels B and C of the IR player to experiment, but I feel the 2 x10 Vibrolux fit the bill the most... although I might prefer the room of the 4x12 Greenback IR

Attachments

• Vibroverb & Super + Fullres IRs.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
They aren't actually that useful to me . I don't use headphones and I'm not sure what else they are for. I don't think you would use them in a mix or live. Also full res?? I thought they are just longer and nothing digital is ever full res.

Useful for recording and fantastic for headphone playing. I've realised a lot of my favourite album guitar tones have some element of room mics in there.

Love them! I have already used the YA FullRes on my MK1 in a mix for a guitarist who wanted his lead bits to be as 'natural' sounding as possible. Slapped on some FullRes and lowered the Reverb a lot and he loved the result. The rest of the tracks were fine without FullRes but I can definitely see an application for them in studio.

Also great for when jamming around for ideas, the same guy was not sure what he was going for so the FullRes with headphones helped him find his vibe a little easier. I think this is because the tone was not as direct sounding to him, so he was able to relax a bit more and put himself into the right frame of mind.

I found them useful in producing an audible reference for AITR sound, which I then dialed in pretty close with a carefully-tweaked Reverb block which has replaced the old reverb block I had been using to give a little 'space' around the dry sound. Will likely use them here and there for recording. For general playing, my tweaked reverb block hits the spot, set a bit wetter for clean sounds and drier for gainy sounds. Drying it out a bit helps pull the guitar 'up front' a bit for leads....

I'm one of those bottom-feeders that plays through a single cab. No stereo setup for me right now. Nevertheless, I added another cab block in parallel to my main cab. It's running a single FullRes IR (Greenback mix) dialed back to like -14dB. While the effect isn't as pronounced through a single cab, to my ears it definitely ads a level of "realism" to my tone.

Through headphones it's a must in my opinion. I'm actually a huge fan overall of the included IR's. I've never been privy to creating my own IR's, due to not actually owning any cabs worth recording.

So far I'm just using them with headphones. I'm waiting for CabLab to be updated so I can experiment with recorded tones after the fact.

Last edited:
I have been mixing with my standard IRs, I lower the db on the full res about -3 db when mixing with my standard IR. I have been only using them for headphone playing.

I found them useful in producing an audible reference for AITR sound, which I then dialed in pretty close with a carefully-tweaked Reverb block which has replaced the old reverb block I had been using to give a little 'space' around the dry sound. Will likely use them here and there for recording. For general playing, my tweaked reverb block hits the spot, set a bit wetter for clean sounds and drier for gainy sounds. Drying it out a bit helps pull the guitar 'up front' a bit for leads....
Would love to hear how you set up the tweaked reverb block.

Do you mind sharing that reverb block? I like the fullres IRs, but way too much CPU usage for my kitchen sink presets. I already have a reverb block and could use one of it's channels to emulate this if it's close enough.

Those of you with a Mk-I, how are you getting it to run the FullRes IRs? Are you loading them into the sketch pad and then just losing them if you power down?

The Legacy can bank now has some FullRes IRs. You can save these into presets
Ah, I need to go download the beta then. I did not read the updates carefully enough and did not know that I could load them into a Mk-1 preset cab block in slots 3&4 and they would stay there. I'll get it a try.

Thanks a lot!

Ah, I need to go download the beta then. I did not read the updates carefully enough and did not know that I could load them into a Mk-1 preset cab block in slots 3&4 and they would stay there. I'll get it a try.

Thanks a lot!
Loading the firmware automatically puts them in the Legacy slots - you don't have to load anything but the firmware :)

Would love to hear how you set up the tweaked reverb block.
Do you mind sharing that reverb block? I like the fullres IRs, but way too much CPU usage for my kitchen sink presets. I already have a reverb block and could use one of it's channels to emulate this if it's close enough.

Here ya go:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ly-cow-they-are-thrilling.177242/post-2157186

The basic trick is to look on the "Advanced" tab for the "Early" and "Late" knobs. Turn the Early up 10-20dB to get it close to zero and drop the Late 10-20dB. Economy is fine for the quality setting - heck it might even be better. The block gives the sense of the space with little to no "wash" of reverb. In the sample on the forum link above, I mixed the reverb a bit higher to make its effect a bit more obvious, but it starts to sound "in the room" at lower settings with less obvious early reverberations. Currently don't have a higher-gain sample, just some twangy old Syd Barrett riff. The block is set up as a parallel reverb. To use as a series block, try swapping the input gain and mix percentages as a starting place, and tweak to fit from there....

I love the option. But it solves a problem I don't personally have.

I will say that it can make headphone playing much more satisfying. I was dicking around with farfield IRs soaked in room-reverb way back in the Ultra days.

This is one of those things that users will run with, and come up with lots of cool stuff that we can't predict. Wait till someone loads a long snare-drum sample into the Fullrez slot and blows our mind.

Back
Top Bottom