FM3

Veloso1978

Inspired
Hi everyone,
Hope everyone stay safe.
I need a advice.
Im thinking sell my AXE FX 2 XL PLUS and mine MFC-101 MARK III and buy the FM3 and the FC-6.
Its every chance im regreat later?
I need your advice. I think my sound improve better with the FM3.

Cheers from Portugal

Hi everyone,
Hope everyone stay safe.
I need a advice.
Im thinking sell my AXE FX 2 XL PLUS and mine MFC-101 MARK III and buy the FM3 and the FC-6.

Cheers from Portugal
How many and which blocks are your most complex presets using? Do you ever use 2 amps?

It'd probably help if you posted this in the FM3 sub-forum, rather than the FM9.

The current generation modelers all run Cygnus, which is a major improvement in sound, so any of the FM3, FM9 or FX3 units running Cygnus will sound better.

Will the FM3 work better? That depends on the complexity of your presets. I'd expect that probably the FM9, and definitely the FX3, will outperform your FX2.

It'll definitely sound better, but you may have to rework your control scheme. Personally, I'm just fine with the 3 buttons on the FM3 since I automate preset changes (as well as some block bypass & parameters) with MIDI via my iPad. But the buttons on the FM3 (and FC6) are quite powerful, so you'll probably be okay. Don't expect huge, complicated presets, though.

Sometimes… But I think FM3, FM9 or even the AXE FX 3 sound better than the AXE F2 Plus I have. Perhaps because the Cygnus?
The Ares firmware was good, really good, but Cliff found that the way a tube amp's sound changes as the signal fades was different than how Ares was handling it, and, in his way, he dug in, and ended up rewriting the amp modeling, and the changes rolled into other blocks, eventually becoming Cygnus.

I think it depends a bit on how much you need to switch between sounds - also how you will/can control the preset/channel switches on the one hand. And how sophisticated or complex your sounds need to be on the other hand.

I don't miss anything in the FM3 regarding having "only 3 switches" - because I am controlling program changes and switch between snapshots via midi from my UnrealBook lyrics app. So most stuff is controlled by just 2 switches turning pages on the IPad app. The app then sends Midi commands via a bluetooth Midi IO interface to the FM3 setting the right bank, preset, channel, etc... It's actually a really nice and compact unit/setup.

But what I perceive as a limiting constraint is that you have to carefully plan your grid / block setup for reverb/delay-heavy presets in order to not run into CPU limits. If I understand the FM9 correctly it has more power - that might be an advantage if you run such sophisticated presets.

Imho: if you don't plan to automate things and need direct access via switches and/or need some extra power for "special FX" go for the FM9.
When you need only few "pure amp" sounds and mostly just switch between clean/rhythm/lead you might just be perfectly happy with the FM3. Soundwise it's a huge step from my previous Axe FX II - especially in terms of feel and responsiveness.

Hi everyone,
Hope everyone stay safe.
I need a advice.

Cheers from Portugal

I’m pretty happy with the FM3 and FC6. If I was starting out now I’d spend a bit more and get the FM9. That said I’m pretty basic with the effects so the FM3 works for me. It’s a great guitar system.

I would not get a FM3+FC6. The FM9 is a much better value proposition and has a feature set that matches your Axe-Fx 2 rig closer than the FM3. With the FM3 you will need to give up things like dual amp/cab/reverb blocks.

The European price of the FC footcontrollers is just too damn high. You can buy a Line6 HX Stomp for less than the FC6 and that's a full on digital modeler rather than a proprietary footcontroller you can't use with anything but Fractal.

I use my FM3 with the XSonic Airstep combo and that works really great. 2x5 footswitches that pair wirelessly together and you can use just one of them on a case by case basis. Comes with a preset for FM3 so setting it up is easy. Oh and you can hook it up wirelessly to the FM3 with a CME WIDI Master dongle (and an adapter to fix a resistor issue on the FM3). If I want to change to something else or use it with other devices I can because it's just a MIDI controller. Still costs less than the FC6.

Back
Top Bottom