Is the Mk I now a little outdated?

For me …. I have à Mark 1 …it s not à question of using Fullres Ir s or not ,
For a mot of peuple , i suppose … i m in that case , offeraing myself an Axe III represents a huge amount of money , many sacrifices … even if thé unit deserves thé Value in terms of playing , pleasure … updates of Fw , presets and more !!!
But not all of us can décide to buy those type of product when they want … so seing thé unit on his way of being … obsolète after two years can disturb a bit , thé same as happen now with FullIr s will happen with others stuff in a near future ….
I agree. It is a pity that so few people understand this.
Comparing analog technology to a computer is crazy :)

Sorry, I really can't see that happening. I've used IEM a lot, and would never want FullRes in that situation. As said earlier, this is a fun little gimmick for the few who use headphones and like "that sound" (which far from everyone does to begin with), nothing more.

This forum is such a small sample size that you wont know the answer in 5 years letalone one.

Never go off guitar forums for trends, unless you're a fly-by-night builder who wants cash quick.

This forum is such a small sample size that you wont know the answer in 5 years letalone one.

Never go off guitar forums for trends, unless you're a fly-by-night builder who wants cash quick.
I mostly agree. The forum has a tendency to hype certain things when they're new (like forums in general). Everyone HAS to have and use the new thing for a while, and then everything returns to normal until the next new thing or feature appears.

However, my experiences tell me that FullRes will be one of those features, and it's not the first.

The sidebar on the Axe II page has this list:

What’s New for the II XL?​

• 768 User Preset Memories!
  • 512 User Cab Memories!
  • Copious reserves for future expansion…
  • “Secret Sauce III” instrument input
    features an even lower noise floor.
  • Built-in FASLINK™ port for
    connection to MFC-101 Mark III.
  • Dedicated MIDI THRU jack
  • Two onboard PEDAL jacks
  • Primary VALUE entry via optical encoder…
    1,000,000+ rotation life expectancy
  • Memory is now “crash resistant”
    non-volatile Super-FLASH.
  • Double-capacity preset size
    • X/Y switching on more blocks
    • Potential for more instances of effects.
  • Built-in backup firmware allows recovery
    in the event of complications during update.
  • Backward compatibility with
    Axe-Fx II Mark I/II presets.
  • Plus everything the original Axe-Fx II offered…
  • And the XL PLUS also features an upgraded display.

No real world meaningful difference at all. The extra space means nothing if you didn't need even half of the original space.
Very real world concrete difference when run up against preset size limitations in the original II since the later revisions support more instances of effects in presets.

For me …. I have à Mark 1 …it s not à question of using Fullres Ir s or not ,
For a mot of peuple , i suppose … i m in that case , offeraing myself an Axe III represents a huge amount of money , many sacrifices … even if thé unit deserves thé Value in terms of playing , pleasure … updates of Fw , presets and more !!!
But not all of us can décide to buy those type of product when they want … so seing thé unit on his way of being … obsolète after two years can disturb a bit , thé same as happen now with FullIr s will happen with others stuff in a near future ….
well said👍

My MK1 is still the beautiful dream machine I payed for...oh no, sorry, in the meantime I had serveral major updates with serveral new feature and amp sims

Very real world concrete difference when run up against preset size limitations in the original II since the later revisions support more instances of effects in presets.
No they didn't and if Dwezel can do world tour with one I don't see it as limmited . Do you use more than 500 presets at a gig ? No, nobody does.

what does "no they didn't" mean? you disagree with the statements that Fractal Audio makes on its own website?

do you understand the difference between the size of a single preset vs the amount of storage for all presets?

what does "no they didn't" mean? you disagree with the statements that Fractal Audio makes on its own website?

do you understand the difference between the size of a single preset vs the amount of storage for all presets?
We are both talking the II and the IIXL and XL+ because they are sonically the same, the same chip , the difference was the screen the Flash memory backup . and twice the preset space . There are a few small tweaks apart from this but nothing to change the available size of an individual preset . The units are in all real world application the same . The backup and the better encoder where the mods that made a difference but not in application .

I used a original Axe FX2 from 2012 up through every single revision that happened and even up to the FM3 coming out. Never really felt outdated. Would i have liked to have FAS link or the Ethercon after breaking my internet jack like 3 times? Sure.

We are both talking the II and the IIXL and XL+ because they are sonically the same, the same chip , the difference was the screen the Flash memory backup . and twice the preset space . There are a few small tweaks apart from this but nothing to change the available size of an individual preset . The units are in all real world application the same . The backup and the better encoder where the mods that made a difference but not in application .
So are you saying that you think the Fractal Audio webpage that details the improvements made in the XL+ over the original II is factually incorrect?

Andy, this quote is from tech support in 2016, regarding corruption I was experiencing with a preset on my original Axe-FX II:
I was able to reproduce the described problem on an Axe-Fx II mark II. You are correct: when adding the REVERB block your preset's memory footprint becomes larger than the allocated preset size in the Axe-Fx II mark II. This issue was addressed by the XL and XL+. Due to the larger amount of memory available, a preset in the XL/XL+ is twice the size of the mark II.

Back
Top Bottom