Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00 Public Beta 4

I noticed the preset button LEDs flashing on my MK1 and FC12 too. I'll check if the bank issue is happening as well. Mines been set to access all of them so far.

Edit: Yeah, Bank Upper Limit is being ignored on my FC12 as well. FW17 Beta 10 and FW 1.12 on the FC.
Thanks for confirming. Seems to be a bug there.

I'm still in awe. Can't stop playing my Tele either into a 50w Plexi or a TwinRev. Scratch is gone, it was specially noticeable on the cleans in my case. Now it just adds that 3d sorta thing that happens with the pick and the response of the amp, this "air" gives you the body and resonance that sometimes can be the perfect element for your mix, the limits are endless and we're just taking a very brief peak of what's coming!!!
Thanks Cliff, thanks everyone at FA!

AMP IN THE ROOM ACHIEVED

Hi, folks, I don't want to bother you with this but after flashing Firmware 17.00 Beta 2 I've lost Factory 2 slots from 273 to 1024. I have MKI, also lost and all User 1 and 2 slots but that's not a problem. What shoud I do to take them back. Tried with flashing this Beta 4 but nothing happend? Any suggestions. Thanks?
"Refresh after firmware update", in the drop-down menu up top, brings all those back. :)

Turn up the level on the Mix page.
So a volume drop is to be expected? Why is no one else noticing it? Seems like something is not right on my system. I don't get amp in the room. More like amp in a room down the hall. It's not only lower volume ,it sounds really distant & indistinct until I get the levels of the FullRes IRs really low to where they have no effect.

Just an idea to help MK1 users. What if it was possible to connect a usb-stick containing fullres cabs to the axe using a small usb-hub. Then add an option per preset that automatically transfers preset-specific fullres to scratchpad on preset change :)
There have been multiple suggestions for using USB to solve various issues on the hardware over time and Fractal has never seemed to want to go there. I think to keep the hardware as a standalone piece of gear, but that's only my opinion.

However, a USB stick or other peripheral is NOT even possible because that requires a USB A port on the Axe Fx and requires the Axe Fx to be a USB host, neither of which is true.

So a volume drop is to be expected? Why is no one else noticing it? Seems like something is not right on my system. I don't get amp in the room. More like amp in a room down the hall. It's not only lower volume ,it sounds really distant & indistinct until I get the levels of the FullRes IRs really low to where they have no effect.

I found a -7dB to -13dB range to work best for the FullRes IRs. Higher than -7dB, and they sounded too distant, and much below -13dB they started to lose the effect, while still blowing through something close to 24% of CPU use.

With multiple IRs, the Cab block "normalizes" the levels for you, so that you don't have to figure out how many dB to drop the output when you add an IR or two. Perhaps that is why you perceive a drop in volume - the dry IR(s) is(are) being padded when you add the FullRes ones as part of the Cab block's normal operation....

I found a -7dB to -13dB range to work best for the FullRes IRs. Higher than -7dB, and they sounded too distant, and much below -13dB they started to lose the effect, while still blowing through something close to 24% of CPU use.

With multiple IRs, the Cab block "normalizes" the levels for you, so that you don't have to figure out how many dB to drop the output when you add an IR or two. Perhaps that is why you perceive a drop in volume - the dry IR(s) is(are) being padded when you add the FullRes ones as part of the Cab block's normal operation....
I was trying them at various levels, down to about -20 or so. I can see the level meter on the layout page noticeably drop when they are engaged so it's not just perception, the level is dropping. Maybe these things are just not for me. Thankfully, I didn't have to buy a MKII to find out LOL!

I was trying them at various levels, down to about -20 or so. I can see the level meter on the layout page noticeably drop when they are engaged so it's not just perception, the level is dropping. Maybe these things are just not for me. Thankfully, I didn't have to buy a MKII to find out LOL!
I have noticed some IRs are louder than others in my close-mic'ed ones, so maybe the Valhallir FullRes IRs are a little quieter than average? It seems like maybe the volume normalization used in the capture process may not be standardized across different vendors.

If you mix in two signals more and do volume compensation mathematically picked assuming a nominal signal level, you cut by a certain number of dB and you're done. If they were quieter than expected, those volume compensation cuts would drop the overall level....

I got them working in a preset I have been working on, it's a dual-amp stereo setup with (currently) the 5F8 TWEED and a SUPER VERB VIBRATO. I posted a thread with a clip in the FX3 Recordings sub with how that sounds. The clip has the FR IRs baked-in but I will record a new clip without for comparison and share that, too. I didn't spend too much time picking cabs for close-micing, I just kinda threw darts until I found some I liked in my @York Audio packs. Drop by the thread for more details if you're interested. In the meantime, this is how I dialed in the Cab blocks to get the amount of room I wanted. I had to reduce the close-mic IRs to get there. I wonder how that would sound on your unit, @notalemming.

Attachments

• Cab block 1 Cab page.jpg
    Cab block 1 Cab page.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Cab block 1 Cab More...  page.jpg
    Cab block 1 Cab More... page.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Cab block 2 Cab page.jpg
    Cab block 2 Cab page.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Cab block 2 Cab More... page.jpg
    Cab block 2 Cab More... page.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 86
This sounds fantastic!! I love it!

In headphones it adds an spaciousness and ambience that is sweet. Sounds less like the speaker is in your head.

Last edited:
there are no new ods, it's the same ods as was in there already, just with different name. it's the same as the other ones and you can't tell them apart 😅
I can tell about a handful of actual overdrives apart. Overdrives that are actual overdrives, not fuzzes, distortions, treble boosters, etc. The od808, sd1, and precision drive are easily identifiable for me. The others... not so much. I chalk that up to me not being intimately familiar with them like the other three, or the whole overdrive market is a big ol sham lol

I stick with the od808 for most of my stuff. Between the normal controls, EQ, graphic EQ, and mix knob, it has all the versatility I need. Incredibly powerful little set of features.

there are no new ods, it's the same ods as was in there already, just with different name. it's the same as the other ones and you can't tell them apart 😅
Is this TRUE? I could have sworn that the MAXOFF 808 sounds different to the OD 808, tighter and crispier, or am I going MAD!!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom