Comparing Tube Screamer Models

iaresee

Administrator
Edit: if you just want the reveal click here.

Let me preface all this by saying: I'm squarely in the camp than thinks OpAmp changes on the TS circuit topology yield little to no returns. I've built a fair number of pedals in my time and more than a few of them were flavor-of-the-month Tub Screamer variants. In that time I've formed the opinion that the TS circuit topology is largely immune to component drift and component changes modulo the clipping diodes (and even those I'm pretty reluctant to admit do a lot to change the sound of the circuit). Nothing in the circuit gets run at the edge of its nominal operating parameters save for the clipping section so swapping parts yields no real differences.

With the 17.00b3 release we got a new OpAmp in the TS 808 models and a chance to do a virtual drive model comparison of the effect of OpAmp changes in the TS circuit. The Axe-Fx III and it's re-amping capabilities make this fun and easy.

Does my opinion hold up? Let's see!

All of these comparisons are done with the drive pedal settings at default: 5 Gain, 5 Tone, 5 Output. And I've attached the preset I used if you want to verify anything. The Drive 2 block was used for the clips. It's a 17.00b3 preset.

First, let's look at the TS 808 model and compare it across beta release. Here's the TS 808 b3 vs. the TS 808 b2. Can you pick out which one is the b3 and which is the b2 in this track?

We can pan them dead center and phase invert one of them to see that there most definitely are differences in the output. But can you tell me which one is using the more preferred OpAmp in the model?

(That's the unnormalized bounce from Logic)

Next let's look at the Maxon 808 model added in 17.00b3. In the thread where this was I requested I suggested the Maxon 808 was largely the same as any old TS9 and you could get to the Maxon 808 sound with a little EQ tweaking. If we do the same hard pan comparison, can you pick out the Maxoff 808 and the TS 808 in the clip?

Again, the differential signal shows that they are definitely different in their frequency content, but not by much.

Edit: @Smittefar asked if I could do a comparison where sounds changed back-to-back instead of running things in parallel, panned hard left and right. Sure! Here's a back-to-back comparison of the above settings. Can you tell which is which model?

With a gun to my head, I'd never be able to tell you which was a Maxon 808, which was a TS 808 and which came from 17.00b2 or 17.00b3. It's very, very subtle differences here. And I contend a little EQ'ing of the TS 808 and they'd be identical.

Note: @FractalAudio suggested the differences are more pronounced if you roll off your guitar volume. I might try that, but given that's not how I use a Tube Screamer it's less interesting to my use case.

The Tube Screamer is my defintion of the ultimate, mass-production ready sound circuit -- so resiliant to component changes and drift you can bang them out with anything you can get your hands on and they sound pretty much identical.

It's industrialized guitar tone that sounds amazing.

The Rolling Rock of guitar pedals. :D

Edit 2: @My name is mud asked me to do Drive 0, Tone 5, Level 10 and use an "heavy" amp setting. Sure! I went with @2112's Leon's Live preset, used a CAB block with his TV mix in it and then the requested settings on the TS 808 and Maxoff 808 models.

Here's the back to back clip. Can you tell me what you hear?

Even more so than before, I can't tell anything apart here. With the diodes mostly removed from the drive models on account of the gain being set to 0 nullifying most of the clipping, the op amps are a total wash to my ears.

Attachments

• Tube Screamers.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That TS vs MaxOff differential sounds really weird - there is definitely something other than a little EQ going on.

I think, it is really difficult to compare, when they are just panned L/R - I would prefer comparisons one after the other. I tried using headphones listening to only one cup at a time. I think, I hear a small difference. One sounds slightly fuller and more muscular. In the TS vs MO, I prefer the one on the left

That TS vs MaxOff differential sounds really weird - there is definitely something other than a little EQ going on.
Look at the differential signal in an RTA viewer. It's just as Cliff described: one of them has slightly more mid-frequency content. Slightly.

Heavy! Chugs! Why, not?

Here are the drive block settings used. Only thing I changed was the model.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 9.49.26 AM.png

Base tone was @2112's USA Lead Mid Gain AMP block settings from his Leon's Live factory preset feeding a CAB block running his TV mix IR. Preset is attached. Drive block 1, channels A and B were used.

Here's the back to back clip. Can you tell me what you hear?

Even more so than before, I can't tell anything apart here. With the diodes mostly removed from the drive models on account of the gain being set to 0 nullifying most of the clipping, the op amps are a total wash to my ears.

Attachments

• Tube Screamers.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
The mids ☺️
Am I right ?
I was more curious what details in the clip made you say the first was the TS 808 (not TS9 -- TS 808 model) and the second was the Maxoff 808 model. What are you hearing the drives that conclusion? More mids? In which part of the clip?

Yeah I don't hear a significant enough difference between the two that would make me say "I have to use THAT one". I'm not saying no one else can hear a difference, it's just not pronounced enough for me.

Love seeing some in-depth trials though, good job 👍

The Maxon don’t have a jump in the mids .
I hear it and feel it when I play with both of them . So I prefer without the mid boost and stayed with the maxon 808 back in the days .

If for people there is no difference don’t know what to say . me I care about details .

But no they are not the same .

I am talking about the experience I have with the real models . I don’t have updated my axe yet and don’t have tried the maxon in the unit . I imagine cliff has done the job . The guy himself confirm what I was saying in the beginning.
I m not a scientist but I got ears . Nearly 30 years of playing. I ve selled gear for 18 years , have tried tons of gear all day long , recorded +20 albums … i often do the fool here and everywhere cause I like joking, but I think I’m pretty experienced in music globally . But not a gear tech .

Last edited:
Yeah I don't hear a significant enough difference between the two that would make me say "I have to use THAT one". I'm not saying no one else can hear a difference, it's just not pronounced enough for me.

Love seeing some in-depth trials though, good job 👍
There is a difference listening to someone’s sample in the net, and put both od at home with a stack . You will prefer one of them in a real test . Do it one day if you can . Then it’s tastes . If someone prefer the ibanez no problem . The only problem is saying that it’s marketing and placebo . No no.

With drive set to zero, the diodes are removed from the circuit. The differences would be due to component tolerances. Nothing that a slight nudge of the tone knob couldn't fix. I don't even know if component tolerance drift would matter, unless Cliff modeled that also.

I m completely ignorant about diodes and all these things , but all I can say is that the ts9 got more mids than the maxon when they are both on my feet with drive at zero . Only my ears matters and also tastes . the demos in YouTube about this are globally bad but you can hear the differences too . And while playing it’s even more important than listening only

With drive set to zero, the diodes are removed from the circuit. The differences would be due to component tolerances. Nothing that a slight nudge of the tone knob couldn't fix. I don't even know if component tolerance drift would matter, unless Cliff modeled that also.
nope component drifts are not modelled. is why some real amps /drives sound different in a/b comparisons..

When I was in the shop, I put all the pedals in series, I was doing test, a/b , comparaison all day long between 2 customers . Same for amps, guitars …. Test test test …. I m very passionate about this . That’s why I bought the 3. This thing is for geeks . When you see that a gear geek like me goes lost sometimes with all the possibilities, it’s easy to understand why some guys found the unit « not friendly »
Putting all 3 pedals in series may not be the best test... Pedal order can affect the tone, especially for non-true bypass pedals.

Not saying you wouldn't hear the same things, just that it's not the most accurate test ;)

Back
Top Bottom