Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00 Public Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious how much the FullRes IRs will change the character of the regular IRs, tone wise, considering the FR will in many cases be a different speaker type. Or is the idea that an IR company will just begin to include FR in their future IR sets? What about all of the past IR sets we may have already purchased?

FullRes itself likely has no effect on existing IRs. They are added to the mix just like adding any other additional IR in the cab block. FullRes is intended for adding room ambience to the mix with a captured form of reverb instead of the algorithmic models in the reverb block. If you don't want to add room ambience to your tone, there's little point in using FullRes IRs since UltraRes IRs are fully capable of capturing the direct tone of the cab and use less CPU. No point in using a 1.3 second long IR to capture something that only resonates for about 1/10th that long unless you mean to capture later room reflections (aka reverb) along with it.

The process is just like using separate close and room mics when recording. The close mic captures the direct sound of the cab and the room mic captures the room ambience. You can then adjust the mix between the two to control how distant or preset the tone is in your mix. You could conceivably use one mic somewhere between to get a close approximation of that mix, but then you'd have no adjustability after the fact. You'd be stuck with that level of ambience. By recording the close and room mics separately, you can later adjust them as needed during mixdown. Using a combination of regular and FullRes IRs, one for the direct and the other for the room, gives you that same flexibility.

Curious how much the FullRes IRs will change the character of the regular IRs, tone wise, considering the FR will in many cases be a different speaker type. Or is the idea that an IR company will just begin to include FR in their future IR sets? What about all of the past IR sets we may have already purchased?
We have already begun to include the 1370 ms folders to existing cab packs. For customers the 1370ms folders will be downloadable for free. Our complete V2 portfolio will be updated within the next days.

Cheers,
Andy and Bastian from Valhallir

I was just about to delete my post after backtracking a second time and seeing a previous post. Even with selecting that, I'm not getting the IR to load into the IR slot. Will try again.
Weirdly when I load from my mac the slot still shows empty on the face of the Axe-Fx. But you can definitely hear the IR. Load them up and try that.

Interesting. I loaded the free Viper IRs successfully - and they showed on the interface. But, when I tried loading another FullRes IR from the same vendor (from their ac30 pack), like you, it didn’t show as loaded in the interface. I stopped short of testing it to see if I could hear it. I tried both the wav format and sysex format of same ir.

As far as I know you cannot do that yet: not until the new axe-edit is released.

I think you can load any number of highres IRs using the Fractal bot method, but they get sent/loaded into the third IR slot in cab block 1. So you’d need to select say Fullres bank slot 4 in the third ir slot to load a different ir. If you leave it as the same slot number as previously it will overwrite the previous Fullres IR.

FullRes itself likely has no effect on existing IRs. They are added to the mix just like adding any other additional IR in the cab block. FullRes is intended for adding room ambience to the mix with a captured form of reverb instead of the algorithmic models in the reverb block. If you don't want to add room ambience to your tone, there's little point in using FullRes IRs since UltraRes IRs are fully capable of capturing the direct tone of the cab and use less CPU. No point in using a 1.3 second long IR to capture something that only resonates for about 1/10th that long unless you mean to capture later room reflections (aka reverb) along with it.

The process is just like using separate close and room mics when recording. The close mic captures the direct sound of the cab and the room mic captures the room ambience. You can then adjust the mix between the two to control how distant or preset the tone is in your mix. You could conceivably use one mic somewhere between to get a close approximation of that mix, but then you'd have no adjustability after the fact. You'd be stuck with that level of ambience. By recording the close and room mics separately, you can later adjust them as needed during mixdown. Using a combination of regular and FullRes IRs, one for the direct and the other for the room, gives you that same flexibility.
Thanks. This is one of the clearest explanations of FullRes I’ve seen. So, if I understand this correctly, you don’t need a FullRes IR when playing live through an FRFR because it will already sound like an amp in the room. This stuff is really more for achieving that AITR sound for recording and headphone use. Seems clear enough. So, any other important uses of FullRes other than for recording? Pardon my simplicity. I’m an old guy that plays loud guitar in bars.

So this is probably a really dumb question. Can we mark I users load Fullres is the IR block or scratchpad to play around with them or can't do that either? I know we can't save them but no word as to whether or not we can use them at all.

Thanks. This is one of the clearest explanations of FullRes I’ve seen. So, if I understand this correctly, you don’t need a FullRes IR when playing live through an FRFR because it will already sound like an amp in the room. This stuff is really more for achieving that AITR sound for recording and headphone use. Seems clear enough. So, any other important uses of FullRes other than for recording? Pardon my simplicity. I’m an old guy that plays loud guitar in bars.
Correct. FullRes is not really intended to be a replacement for regular close mic'd IRs. You could create a mix of long and short IRs in CabLab and export them to FullRes IRs and do it that way as well, but you'll lose any ability to adjust the balance between cabs once they are mixed together into one IR (or two for stereo). All depends on your needs and preferences.

….FullRes is intended for adding room ambience to the mix with a captured form of reverb instead of the algorithmic models in the reverb block. …
True. But I’ll bet my right arm that ppl will find a lot of different uses for it :)….and yes…another vote here for replacing bank B with fullres option. The wheel has been invented and works great, but lets not stop there :)

/MK1 user

Right, but the FullRes IRs are captured using a certain cab and speaker, right? So if I'm adding that FullRes IR to my cab block, like the Valhallir one posted here, my rig - in addition to whatever regular IR it's going through - is now also going through another cab and speaker (FullRes) and is colored by that tone. Like you're not just capturing the ambience of the room, right, you're also capturing the signal going through a particular cab and speaker. So you would want the FullRes cab/speaker to match the regular IR cab/speaker you're already using. Or am I wrong about that?

Right, but the FullRes IRs are captured using a certain cab and speaker, right? So if I'm adding that FullRes IR to my cab block, like the Valhallir one posted here, my rig - in addition to whatever regular IR it's going through - is now also going through another cab and speaker (FullRes) and is colored by that tone. Like you're not just capturing the ambience of the room, right, you're also capturing the signal going through a particular cab and speaker. So you would want the FullRes cab/speaker to match the regular IR cab/speaker you're already using. Or am I wrong about that?
Yes, you're right. The idea is that vendors are going to include FullRes IR's in their packs.

There is nothing saying you can't use FullRes room mic IRs from one speaker with close-mic'd IRs of a different speaker. I'm doing that right now and it sounds great. I don't think I can go back to regular IRs now.

There is nothing saying you can't use FullRes room mic IRs from one speaker with close-mic'd IRs of a different speaker. I'm doing that right now and it sounds great. I don't think I can go back to regular IRs now.
Got it, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I was thinking about it correctly. Playing through those Valhallir FullRes yesterday on headphones was really cool. It captures that "in the room" feel in a more realistic way, at least to my ears (versus room reverb).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom