Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00 Public Beta

In my opinion the best way to go, if is possible to do, is implement fullres in both mkI and mkII and let the users free to choise what loading in user 2 fold, and not close to fullres or standard/hires. For example someone can load only fullres or standard ir, someone can load 4 fullres ir and the other in standard resolution ecc. In this way users are free to do what they want without limitation of the unit, of course mkII will have more slots available tha mkI

@FractalAudio

In my opinion the best way to go, if is possible to do, is implement fullres in both mkI and mkII and let the users free to choise what loading in user 2 fold, and not close to fullres or standard/hires. For example someone can load only fullres or standard ir, someone can load 4 fullres ir and the other in standard resolution ecc. In this way users are free to do what they want without limitation of the unit, of course mkII will have more slots available tha mkI

@FractalAudio
Cliff has said that's not an option. Maybe that will change, but that's the current state of play.

Totally different situation, but in my web dev world, the older code is, the more likely it is to be primitive and/or broken and/or containing Bad Ideas you'd never use today. That world has advanced significantly over the years.

But that doesn't apply to people, though. Or does it?? ;)

in my web dev world, the older code is, the more likely it is to be primitive and/or broken and/or containing Bad Ideas you'd never use today
in my dev world I came across as many current day coders who could make as big, or bigger messes using new coding tools, as old fart coders using old tools - exceptional design/diagnostic/debugging/analytical/architectural systems skills were always scarce in my 30yrs of IT - perhaps even diminishing over time.

in my dev world I came across as many current day coders who could make as big, or bigger messes using new coding tools, as old fart coders using old tools - exceptional design/diagnostic/debugging/analytical/architectural systems skills were always scarce in my 30yrs of IT - perhaps even diminishing over time.
1000% correct. Its not about th language, platform or version of whatever you were building on or for, its about good software design, object oriented concepts, seperation of concerns. IMO, the technology has tried to cater to non-engineers to be able to do it. This has greatly saturated the talent pool with coders, not engineers. Its like me as a guitar "player" trying to do a Syn Gates 12 minute long guitar solo, I can have all the gear and equipment in the world, but I don't understand how he's doing what he's doing, so even though we are on the same medium, he's got foundational skills I just dont have (yet).

The problem is the new platforms and tech today allows someone to meander around for a whole career without ever learning those basics. They sound like they play the guitar, but its not good music coming out!

Totally different situation, but in my web dev world, the older code is, the more likely it is to be primitive and/or broken and/or containing Bad Ideas you'd never use today. That world has advanced significantly over the years.
Web development and its underlying technologies have probably seen more attention paid to them than any area of programming I've used or seen. I started with it right after Tim Berners-Lee first announced HTTP and HTML and we got a browser, and worked in it until about six years ago. Of course older code is primitive; HTML was primitive as was the internet, our cubicles were in a cave and we typed on rocks with clubs.

1000% correct. Its not about th language, platform or version of whatever you were building on or for, its about good software design, object oriented concepts, seperation of concerns. IMO, the technology has tried to cater to non-engineers to be able to do it. This has greatly saturated the talent pool with coders, not engineers. Its like me as a guitar "player" trying to do a Syn Gates 12 minute long guitar solo, I can have all the gear and equipment in the world, but I don't understand how he's doing what he's doing, so even though we are on the same medium, he's got foundational skills I just dont have (yet).

The problem is the new platforms and tech today allows someone to meander around for a whole career without ever learning those basics. They sound like they play the guitar, but its not good music coming out!
yes, and the engineering designation attached to the consultant you are hiring or whatever is no assurance you'll have a crackerjack - sometimes I used to think these skills are rooted in DNA - you're born with the traits of that systems mindset (or are cursed with it perhaps) and you leverage that in a systems career, or, you don't have it naturally so have to work harder to achieve the same skill level - same as anything i guess.

yes, and the engineering designation attached to the consultant you are hiring or whatever is no assurance you'll have a crackerjack - sometimes I used to think these skills are rooted in DNA - you're born with the traits of that systems mindset (or are cursed with it perhaps) and you leverage that in a systems career, or, you don't have it naturally so have to work harder to achieve the same skill level - same as anything i guess.
You were right. I was tech lead and senior developer for years, and I got SOoo tired of getting fresh-outs who had the book learnin' but didn't know jack about what they were supposed to be doing. They'd get into it because it sounded interesting, not because they ate, lived and slept it passionately. And, I'd have to spend the first two years unwinding the crap they had been taught to teach them how to work inside the existing systems and tread lightly, not trash a system the company relied on, break it, shrug and walk away. "You. Did. WHAT!?"

I remember when tables were first added to the spec, and how revolutionary that was, and equally how quickly they became kludgy and over-used. Back then, Netscape Navigator ran on coal.

The good ol' days when design was gold and "code" wasn't worth shit. It was honest work, you know "real man's work".

But now shit code grows on trees for a dime-a-dozen and everything's going to shit because it's not like the good ol' days when coders were men and women rightly ignored them because they passionately played with computers all day thinking it was good and beautiful and true and would never ever be used by govt's and corporations in a kleptocratic takeover of everything.

(Admitted co-conspirator here :confounded: )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom