#%%^$£ USB

This may save you some money. This Anker thing isn’t powered, but I’ve never had the disconnect issue you describe. My power settings are default. B567C718-BD8C-40E7-934A-D2423747BC05.jpeg

My Mac Mini M1 has USB-A and USB-C ports.

If I connect the FM3 or III to a USB-C port, the connection fails after the Mac has gone to sleep for a while. The editor disconnects and the ports just disappear in the editor (Settings > Preferences > Ports).

Tried and tested a lot of USB-C to USB-B cables. No difference.

I have to disconnect the cable and reconnect it, or power up the processor or computer to re-establish the connection.

First I thought that my monitor (also connected through USB-C) was the culprit, sucking up all the USB power. But no, the issue persisted after switching the monitor to HDMI.

I re-arranged the connections, switched the FM3 and III to USB-A, and everything now works as expected.

Sigh, USB …
I have an M1 iMac and have the same issue. The axe fx 3 doesn’t even show up as an audio device sometimes unless I reboot the iMac.

Edit: Ive tried with a powered startech USB hub as well, it doesn’t change anything.
Pre M1 I just had to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in. That doesn’t work anymore.

I use simple usb-c to 4x usb 3.1 hubs on my m1 mac mini, works fine. Usb cable length max. 1.6m FX3 Mk1 OS 11.6

That looks like a good range of ports, like I'd have loved to see on my M1. Thanks for sharing that!
Lee
Those are awesome. I have 3 in the house - one is v2 and was from my old iMac, then ther first v3 one got added when I upgraded last year to a macbook that the v2 couldn't directly plug into, and just a month or so ago, I got one forthe work-issued computer so I could plug in a mouse and 2 more displays....

I think the reason it does this is the way Apple Handles USB-C. For USB-C they run all the task USB-C can do through one controller. So in a way its made to run in series. It has to be something like that, which makes sense why a hub fixes it. If one task (like charging the computer) doesnt work anymore or has an error on a port, all of the functions of the port dont work anymore.
USB is Universal Serial Bus. It is always serial.
This has nothing to do with this issue.
Also on the M1 MBP there are 2 Thunder Bolt 4 controllers.

Last edited:
USB is Universal Serial Bus. It is always serial.
This has nothing to do with this issue.
Also on the M1 MBP there are 2 Thunder Bolt 4 controllers.
Yes, this is all correct, but if one process doesnt work for the USB-C ports, it shuts all of the other ones down. Every process goes through Apple's T2 chip, and it has a mind of it's own. It seems the USB-C ports behave differently with picking up devices in the M1s for some reason. They must have changed something with the way gates work. I am talking about the gates on the actual motherboard or logic board.

All adapters from TB and USB-c are active components with chips inside. And not comparable with a USB cable.
And depending on the chip, the adapter is fully compatible or not.
There are also differences in power requirements. Adapters for Macbooks usually have a higher power requirement and therefore also loop the power supply through to the Macbook. The reason is usually the additional interfaces such as hdmi or network. Partly, the adapters are very warm and warm means much energy consumption.

1632041598598.jpeg
There are certainly many others but these work great on the Mac Mini. And cost less than 10 dollars

Last edited:
Yes, this is all correct, but if one process doesnt work for the USB-C ports, it shuts all of the other ones down. Every process goes through Apple's T2 chip, and it has a mind of it's own. It seems the USB-C ports behave differently with picking up devices in the M1s for some reason. They must have changed something with the way gates work. I am talking about the gates on the actual motherboard or logic board.
M1 does not have a T2 chip. This is clearly a wake from sleep issue which makes it a power/sleep firmware issue that you can workaround with a HUB from what those in the thread have said.
Just has nothing to do with T2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom