Want a KSR Amp? You probably already have it in the Solo models

Variable

Inspired
I did some fairly extensive testing with my direct-via-Fryette PS2 KSR Gemini's lead channel vs. the Solo 100. KSR got their start making SLOClones and then modding them for the metal crowd, so it seemed like a fun experiment to try.

My experiment was to see how close the KSR's Lead channel is without any modes engaged and only the Bright switch engaged (which matches how the Solo model is set up when you look at the Ideal parameters). I ran the same patch with the same cab IRs, and set up the knobs on the KSR to match the Solo 100 Lead model.

Results -- It's pretty hard to tell the difference. The tonal quality is almost identical, and I attribute any differences I hear to different tapers on the pots on the amp vs. the model. Obviously, KSR takes the SLO sound a bit further with the Modes and Voices and Fat switches, which is something that would probably take advanced parameter tweaking in the Axe. But if you want that core sound, it's basically the Solo 100 Lead model. Probably the only difference I could hear between the two is that the Solo 100 sounds very slightly more compressed and not as clear. But it's an incredibly small difference. Feel is about the same, and even rolling off the volume has the same effect. Turning OFF the bright switch on the Solo 100 model has the same effect of muddying and honking up the tone as on the Gemini.

I'm sure with boosts and the Fat parameter and other goodies in the Axe you can probably replicate everything the Mode, Fat and Voice switches are doing, except for the dual gain knobs you get with the Purple and Red modes on the Gemini since that adds an extra tube gain stage.

I'm sure if scoped it you'd see differences, but my ears can't really tell.

So, if you want a KSR, you're pretty much almost there. Of course, I'm still keeping the actual amp (I have the one with the first Crunch channel EQ mod, as it was previously owned by Joe Satriani!) since it absolutely crushes live through a 4x12, and the extra switches are very useful and save me a lot of tweaking to get the same sound in the Axe. Rock on!

And yes, I'm happy to do clips between the two if I have time sometime in the next year.

i bet it's bias

Solo 100 sounds very slightly more compressed and not as clear

the models in the Axe-Fx will biased warmer than a new amp straight out of the box as most amps are biased cold (too cold IMO). After you wear the tubes out and bring it to a tech the tech will replace those tubes and bias them hotter than factory. So if you're comparing your new, out-of-the box 5150 with the Axe-Fx model the amp will probably sound "colder". Some people like this, many do not. If you like a colder sounding power amp it's just a knob twist away.

Yep they are in fact Lead 1 mode on
the original Colossus is like 90% SLO from my email with Kyle
basically his amps are biased very cold like a 5150 plus he has a lot of low cut on the tight setting

but yes colder bias , fat switch
input boost on , jj preamp tubes
low cut too taste , change depth freq, change tonestack center freq slightly Starting from the SLO or even Recto orange modern w
adding in the NFB and you will get it close

the Mezzabarba is similar SLO
lead channel just w EL34

Yeah, the Mezzabarba MZero is basically a SLO with EL34s and some tweaks. Rabea Massad has some recent videos comparing them and they're very similar.

Even though my Gemini is biased cold, it doesn't sound cold. It's a very warm sound regardless of the amount of gain, which I attribute to that SLO midrange voicing. The Gemini manual says 50mV per pair, so 25mV comes out to 25ma per 6L6 current. I haven't measured my amp yet, so it's also possible that Joe's amp tech messed with the bias since, well, that's what amp techs do.

I might see if I can figure out how to get the Solo model to be more "brutz" like the Gemini is on the Blue mode. The Blue mode is killer for djentilmanly pursuits :)

The modes if i recall are
tight thats a pretty strong low cut
fat umm a fat switch or low mid boost early on in the preamp
thick a low mid boost later in the preamp maybe cathode
fat +thick. Low mid boost early and later in preamp
AWood voice shifted the midrange
up a bit i believe closer to a DZL
new crunch channel is 3 gain stage like darker Marshall w more gain

Back
Top Bottom