RNDI between III and monitors?

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I have a RNDI (Neve DI), which I've used in the past with great results with acoustic guitar and bass. It's the single channel (mono) version.

It takes line level input too, so just to experiment I connected it between one of the (L/R) outputs of the III, then into a simple mic pre (required for level) and into one of the two monitors.

When comparing that channel to the other one without the RNDI (just XLR/XLR), the one with the RNDI sounds better, more lively and clear.

It's not the cables, monitor etc. Please explain the reason before the urge arises to buy a 2nd or stereo RNDI for this purpose.

Last edited:
Is the level exactly the same between the two? If the RNDI channel is slightly louder, that could explain why it grabs your attention more.

It's also entirely possible that it's filtering the tone in a way that you like better.

Just for verification, you might try a blind comparison too in case it's power of suggestion. If you're expecting a difference, you'll often hear one. Our ears and brain can be tricky assholes like that.

If you still prefer the RNDI side in a blind test, it might be worth the investment.

Impédance and good transformers...

That can make a difference.
My axe or other modelers sound better when plugged in my high end audio interface than direct in monitors or with USB.
Yes a lot more life and sounds clearer too.

I will soon receive the stereo version i ll try with the Axe.

When comparing that channel to the other one without the RNDI (just XLR/XLR), the one with the RNDI sounds better, more lively and clear.

Precisely why truly great gear can be so dang expensive and why RN was so loved by audio engineers the world over. Have you considered using line level in/out processors (Portico) so you can minimize extra gain stages? Lots to choose from with similar Wonderfulness. Cubic $$$$ and worth every one of them.

I wonder what the mic pre is adding/subtracting to the chain besides gain?

I purchased one also. I tested it against the AxeFx as a DI. The difference was negligible. I need to try this.

Last edited:
Just for verification, you might try a blind comparison too in case it's power of suggestion. If you're expecting a difference, you'll often hear one. Our ears and brain can be tricky assholes like that.

If you still prefer the RNDI side in a blind test, it might be worth the investment.

I did another test.

I connected one output from the III directly to my Monitor2USB interface and recorded its signal through USB.
Then I inserted the RNDI+Mic Pre into that exact same chain and recorded again.
Apart from level differences which were easily adjusted, the recorded sound was now the same. No differences. Hmm...

Still, according to the two video fragments below the RNDI brings something extra to the table when inserted between Axe-Fx and mixer:

Apart from level differences which were easily adjusted, the recordeed sound was now the same. No differences. Hmm...
Very interesting this!

Maybe the difference is more perceptible when playing at gig volume than at a recording level? The guy in the video says he did it during rehearsal and then everyone noticed the difference.

Last edited:
I have an RNDI too. It colours the tone in a particular way that sounds nice, especially the highs. I expect this is due to the transformer. I wouldn't exactly call it transparent.

It likely depends on what you put it between. If the mixer being used has a lower input impedance and/or there's really long cables involved, putting the RNDI between could help buffer things and add some clarity since it has a very high input impedance and a very low output impedance.

It was the mic preamp, it did something to the tone. I took it out out of the chain and compensated the level mismatch between the channels with/without RNDI in another way. The difference disappeared for the greater part. The RNDI still makes things sound a little better but not in a way that would make me keep it in the chain at that spot. Experiment over and out. Of course I'll still be using the RNDI with bass and acoustic because it sounds awesome as a DI.

@touch33 In the end you were right about the pre.

Last edited:
It was the mic preamp, it did something to the tone. I took it out out of the chain and compensated the level mismatch between the channels with/without RNDI in another way. The difference disappeared for the greater part. The RNDI still makes things sound a little better but not in a way that would make me keep it in the chain at that spot. Experiment over and out. Of course I'll still be using the RNDI with bass and acoustic because it sounds awesome as a DI.

@touch33 In the end you were right about the pre.
Is the mic preamp able to be replicated with the Cab block's preamps and controls?

I have tried the RNDI stereo during 2hours.
Comparing with and without it.

It sounds really better with it.
It s not subtle in my tests... its sounds huge and it gives a great "analog" vibe to the Axe.
The sound is more in your face too.
I ll never bypass it for sure :))

Back
Top Bottom