Second Guessing Fm9 Order

JPS225

Inspired
I have the Fm3 and I've been very happy with it. I did the waitlist for Fm9 at 2:30pm central, so I'm probably a couple of months away. I'm torn as to wether I actually need the 9. I recently bought an FC6 (before the 9 was announced) but haven't added it in yet. I have sometimes used a Keeley Comp plus into Archer into JHS morning-glory with the Fm3, but I seem to have issues with sound dropping sometimes when I engage a pedal (can't figure out what's happening there yet). Anyway, plans were to add the FC6 and go all in one. Anyone else in the boat with me? Can't really decide what to do. lol

I am for possibly different reasons. For the most part I am happy with my FM3 (I use it with a Morning Star MC3) - I have a couple patches that are borderline maxing CPU out so another update may push them over. I also recorded in the studio, and had one patch that had a noticeable lag in switching scenes. Otherwise, no complaints at all.
I can recoup a good amount of the money by selling the FM3 and MC3, but I'm still hesitant to pay the $1700 or so (with tax and shipping)...
I'm guessing neither of us would regret it, though

I assure you that you are not alone. The FM3 is actually growing in popularity as people realize that this product offers a great way to get the famous Fractal Audio sound in the most portable format for the lowest possible price.

For those who need or want more power, more footswitches, more blocks, more options, the FM9 is more than "temptation" -- it's perfect, even essential.

For those who want the luxury of the very best in power, features, and flexibility (including the potential for the largest pedalboard using FOUR FC-12 units) the Axe-Fx III remains at the top.

Once you've recognized that Fractal Audio Systems is the way to go, choosing between these three isn't impossible. My advice is always the same: consider all you want, decide all you need, do all you can.

Last edited:
I thought long and hard about upgrading from the FM3/FC6 combo to an FM9 and decided not to. I never use more than one amp at a time so more CPU power is really the only thing I feel I am settling for in my use case, and that is strictly having to "settle" for lower quality reverb at times. Perhaps I'll change my mind, but not until the FM9 is available with no wait list at some point in the distant future...

I am for possibly different reasons. For the most part I am happy with my FM3 (I use it with a Morning Star MC3) - I have a couple patches that are borderline maxing CPU out so another update may push them over. I also recorded in the studio, and had one patch that had a noticeable lag in switching scenes. Otherwise, no complaints at all.
I can recoup a good amount of the money by selling the FM3 and MC3, but I'm still hesitant to pay the $1700 or so (with tax and shipping)...
I'm guessing neither of us would regret it, though
I like the idea of having the 9 switches. I've noticed the lag as well and heard that it could be caused by the long press? I have an MC6, but it's always been kind of a pain to set it up each week. And every time I've tried to have the Fm3 send it messages it just caused all kinds of problems. So I ordered the FC6 right before the Fm9 was announced.

I like the idea of having the 9 switches. I've noticed the lag as well and heard that it could be caused by the long press? I have an MC6, but it's always been kind of a pain to set it up each week. And every time I've tried to have the Fm3 send it messages it just caused all kinds of problems. So I ordered the FC6 right before the Fm9 was announced.
Hmm - I hadn't heard about the long press.
I haven't had any issues with my MC3. It's actually been fun for me. I have a couple banks for scenes and a couple for effects. And in each bank, the top switch controls tap tempo, or a long press for tuner on/off.

Hmm - I hadn't heard about the long press.
I haven't had any issues with my MC3. It's actually been fun for me. I have a couple banks for scenes and a couple for effects. And in each bank, the top switch controls tap tempo, or a long press for tuner on/off.
I"m sure it's user error on my part! lol. This was the first midi device I've used.

I toyed with the idea of the FM9, put my name down on the G66 list, but actually, I miss the desktop format of my Axe II XL. So if I were to upgrade from my FM3, it'd be to the Axe III with an FC6 or 12. Costs a bit more but brings back the desktop unit, still with a foot pedal, and the joy of first for new features again, and ultimate power. I don't gig so portability is not an issue.

I have a Fm/FC combo. I bought them together because my brain said no way the fm alone is enough foot switch wise. Although I mostly use them together I figured out a ways to do so much with just the fm3 that I am like damn if I get the 9 I lose my more compact alternate set up 🤦🏻‍♂️

Maybe they're already doing this, but @FractalAudio should consider honoring 100% refund on recently ordered (maybe a month or 2, more than the standard 15 days) FC6 and FM3 units with the purchase of an FM9 so you don't have a bunch of people with buyers remorse, trying to sell their units 2nd hand (which ultimately take sales away from Fractal).

For me, I'm OK with the FM3 I bought early in 2021. I like that it's smaller and it's enough for my rig. Though if I were buying new all over again, I'd get an FM9.

Maybe they're already doing this, but @FractalAudio should consider honoring 100% refund on recently ordered (maybe a month or 2, more than the standard 15 days) FC6 and FM3 units with the purchase of an FM9 so you don't have a bunch of people with buyers remorse, trying to sell their units 2nd hand (which ultimately take sales away from Fractal).

For me, I'm OK with the FM3 I bought early in 2021. I like that it's smaller and it's enough for my rig. Though if I were buying new all over again, I'd get an FM9.
There is always buyers remorse with every product launch

There is always buyers remorse with every product launch

Not quite the same when you buy a product days before a new launch that had no prior warning. But I get it. It's no skin off my back, I wouldn't be taking advantage of it myself anyway haha

Not quite the same when you buy a product days before a new launch that had no prior warning. But I get it. It's no skin off my back, I wouldn't be taking advantage of it myself anyway haha
No it is literally the same. Not sure how you have been around but I have been for over a decade. It seems to happen with every launch products launch and someone just bought the previous version like 18 days prior. It is very unfortunate. It is one of the reasons forums always have people asking when they next product is coming out because they don’t want to get stuck

No it is literally the same. Not sure how you have been around but I have been for over a decade. It seems to happen with every launch products launch and someone just bought the previous version like 18 days prior. It is very unfortunate. It is one of the reasons forums always have people asking when they next product is coming out because they don’t want to get stuck

Lol - I owned an AFX standard. Also try hovering your mouse over my username to see how long I've been around.

So what do you suggest then? Just not buying any products at all for fear of buyers remorse? Or just 'being happy' that you spent 1600+ on FM3 + FC6 when you could have bought a better product for the same price a week or 2 later? Both sound like a $hit sandwich to me. But again, for me, I'm content with my FM3 + Mosky switch - so this doesn't affect me.

Buyers remorse is when you make the wrong choice after analyzing all available options. Fractal is a great company and I'll continue to support them, but I disagree with how they release their products - but hey, they can do what they want.

Maybe it's up to us to read between the lines. They just did a FM3 + FC6 sale a few months ago. Cygnus was just released... which often seems to coincide with a new product release per Fractal's past....... Are these supposed to be our 'warning' that a new product is coming?

I've been around 49 years. Old af.

A mass buy-back of recently-sold units won’t change anything. Whatever cutoff date you choose, there will always be people who fell just short of the cutoff. Some of them will be grumpy about it.

Maybe the solution here isn't whether to offer refunds, but rather to just simply announce that a new product is coming 'soon' along with Cygnus, instead of just being quiet about it until the product is splooged all over the market.

Sorry I had to do it.

It is one of the reasons forums always have people asking when they next product is coming out because they don’t want to get stuck
Get stuck? If that's their fear, then they should give into their purchase paralysis and never buy, because there's always going to be something new whether it's the next day or next decade, and they're always going to feel "stuck", even though the thing they bought works just as well as it did prior to the announcement or release, and will continue to do so for years.

Improvements and new technology happen with TVs, microwaves, anything that has any sort of technology behind it, so the only things that are safe are those that are beyond the reach of science and people trying to make money from the improvements, like... rocks. Rocks haven't had a lot of innovation.

FAS isn't going to pre-announce new products or technologies because it's not in their best interest to warn their much larger competitors who will pre-announce their version of whatever the new thing is to try to steal the sales. And, that rolls back around to the potential purchasers who won't buy because there's a newer and more shiny thing just beyond the horizon that might be better than what is immediately available.

Kids these days. Harrumph.

Back
Top Bottom