Metallica uses Axe Fx

Yeah it would look like these guys just went to the observatory for an air guitar show.

Honestly even just having a tiny rack with Axe-Fx 3's in it and some monitor wedges would probably look odd too. Not having amps and cabs on stage works for those arenas where they are basically in the middle of the audience rather than having a stage in the back.

Maybe Fractal just needs to offer an Axe-Fx 3 in a tolexed chassis and a 4x12 FRFR speaker to go with it? :D
FractalCab!

Check out the two Axe-FX III units in the rack:

You might need to pause it right at 5:07. It's a quick shot.

But interestingly the input and output meters arent lighting up on those AXEFX's!? So might not be being used.

On second look the top one is doing something....

1631718760911.png

Last edited:
I see they are using Recto's in the latest Howard Stern show a few days ago. Back to real amps perhaps?

I just find it funny that Lars has to shout out the measures and counts for him to play it correctly....

I saw these guys late 2019 and this song specifically absolutely sucked... Mainly because of the drumming, the "dat dat dat - Sad But True" stanzas were in perfect 4/4 rhythm with zero expression. But I'm 100% confident they were playing AFX-III's (confirmed) for that gig. I doubt they have shifted back even for a "small" gig like that.

They've had those MESA Rectifiers for show since forever, last time I recall them using onstage was at the XXX anniversary show. Not the first and certainly not the last band to use dummy heads/cabs onstage for show. Even John Petrucci who actually uses MESA, had dummy heads/cabs onstage while having his Mark amps racked and one or two cabinets mic'ed backstage with a blanket over them for isolation.

Still, the big giveaway is that Hetfield is married to the Diezel/IIC+(or Triaxis) combo and Kirk used the Racktifier along other amps, but can't recall a single time I've seen them using "regular" rectifiers.

I just find it funny that Lars has to shout out the measures and counts for him to play it correctly....
Yeah, poor Lars. He's such an easy target, what with his terrible clock and mediocre drum skills. But ya can't argue he's doing something right in having one of the absolute best gigs ever as a drummer. More musicians could take a lesson and learn from what he's done, that it's less about technical prowess, and more about unwavering passion and dedication to something you truly believe in.
Course, taking some actual music lessons along the way can't hurt either! (Not saying he didn't.)

But interestingly the input and output meters arent lighting up on those AXEFX's!? So might not be being used.

On second look the top one is doing something....

View attachment 88613

Yes, the top one has the output meters lighting. One would expect theirs being absolutely pro-set so the output levels are constant. As for the Axe below... IIRC they use one Axe for High Gain and the other for Cleans and switch between them accordingly.

Yes, the top one has the output meters lighting. One would expect theirs being absolutely pro-set so the output levels are constant. As for the Axe below... IIRC they use one Axe for High Gain and the other for Cleans and switch between them accordingly.

I actually think this might be Rob's setup, and one is his backup. James and Kirk had 4 each in the last rigs I saw (2 for seamless switching between the JC-120 and heavy sounds, duplicated for backups).

Yeah, poor Lars. He's such an easy target, what with his terrible clock and mediocre drum skills. But ya can't argue he's doing something right in having one of the absolute best gigs ever as a drummer. More musicians could take a lesson and learn from what he's done, that it's less about technical prowess, and more about unwavering passion and dedication to something you truly believe in.
Course, taking some actual music lessons along the way can't hurt either! (Not saying he didn't.)
From what I have heard Lars may not be the best technical drummer but is a genius when it comes to the arrangements and general songwriting

I am a huge Metallica fan since 30 years and the gigs NEVER disappoint me . The song are masterpieces and they will always be. James voice is unique , whatever mistakes or this or that, many musicians play technically better but aren’t able to make great songs. For me songs matter, and Metallica got songs .
people spit on them but stadium are full with 100e tickets . Let them cry .

notice how no matter the topic, even Axe-FX and THE GUITAR PLAYERS....., if it's metallica there's always some disgruntled Lars fan who just has to chime in....... lol

I am a huge Metallica fan since 30 years and the gigs NEVER disappoint me . The song are masterpieces and they will always be. James voice is unique , whatever mistakes or this or that, many musicians play technically better but aren’t able to make great songs. For me songs matter, and Metallica got songs .
people spit on them but stadium are full with 100e tickets . Let them cry .
Yep. You can't take anything away from Metallica. They set the bar high.

From what I have heard Lars may not be the best technical drummer but is a genius when it comes to the arrangements and general songwriting
Kirk wrote the Enter Sandman riff, but Lars arranged it. Guy's got an ear, or used to anyway. (nothing wrong with being a legacy act, but I wish they'd take more risks with new stuff- that thing they did with Lou Reed was trash, but it was interesting to see them writing outside the box)

I play drums since 20 years too and master /justice songs (and the rest too) are very hard to play . People should try to take some drumsticks before talking .

As someone previously said, always the same blabla about Kirk and lars . But these guys are hero’s since I’m young and are part of those who wanted me to play music . I don’t count how many time I played their records… I can listen to them daily I think .

I play drums since 20 years too and master /justice songs (and the rest too) are very hard to play . People should try to take some drumstick before talking .

As someone previously said, always the same blabla about Kirk and lars . But these guys are hero’s since I’m young and are part of those who wanted me to play music . I don’t count how many time I played their records… I can listen to them daily I think .
The thing is; Lars stopped pushing himself a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. Up through Justice; his drumming was very distinct and awesome overall. Kirk stopped having good music to solo over so consequently; he started nosediving in his own way. Through really no fault of his own.

Yea but he still does 2 hours shows, it’s very physical . Before the covid hm😒. I see them in the last tour and the gig was great . For their age seriously with all these gigs … when you are in the crowd you don’t feel the « errors » the same. Yes watching in YouTube you hear this and that, and the hi hat accent in the 2nd beat that sound weird … he don’t care anymore and he is not in a competition spirit . But once again, how many super skilled drummer are in bands with horrible math songs …. Nowadays metal forget the basics : having riffs and melodies that stick in the head . It’s not easy to play Lars drum parts . I have sheets, when you listen to record with the sheet and even more with drumstick … that’s really not easy . In the black album era he hit the drums so hard …. If you do a drum cover of sad but true or sandman it don’t sound the same . He hit with his full body, that’s why he may be physically tired now . I see me with my underground gigs already not physically the same that in my 20’s … them 🤦.

notice how no matter the topic, even Axe-FX and THE GUITAR PLAYERS....., if it's metallica there's always some disgruntled Lars fan who just has to chime in....... lol
Yup, how long until some dipshit bellows and moans about their incorrect understanding of the Napster situation? It's exhausting trying to have a reasonable conversation about Metallica on the internet.

Yea but he still does 2 hours shows, it’s very physical . Before the covid hm😒. I see them in the last tour and the gig was great . For their age seriously with all these gigs … when you are in the crowd you don’t feel the « errors » the same. Yes watching in YouTube you hear this and that, and the hi hat accent in the 2nd beat that sound weird … he don’t care anymore and he is not in a competition spirit . But once again, how many super skilled drummer are in bands with horrible math songs …. Nowadays metal forget the basics : having riffs and melodies that stick in the head . It’s not easy to play Lars drum parts . I have sheets, when you listen to record with the sheet and even more with drumstick … that’s really not easy . In the black album era he hit the drums so hard …. If you do a drum cover of sad but true or sandman it don’t sound the same . He hit with his full body, that’s why he may be physically tired now . I see me with my underground gigs already not physically the same that in my 20’s … them 🤦.

Weren't the actual sound of the drums on the Black album we all here accomplished with samples, though??
Obviously real playing, but with the heavy use of samples in the final mix??

I agree on playing drums---especially in a metal/rock context. It's hard! And it can't possibly
get any easier with age either.

Back
Top Bottom