Help using FM3 with Matrix Power Amp

DyersEve87

Inspired
I have been using Fractal for several years now. My main setup for some time has been my ‘Axe Fx IIXL+‘ into a Matrix GT1000FX, being monitored through a Matrix Q12 Passive FRFR. I have the Matrix and a passive FRFR so that I can switch over to my Mesa 4x12 if I want to disable cab modeling, but I never find myself wanting to use that option.
I’ve always used the 1/4in L(Mono) Unbalanced Output of the Axe, to XLR into the Matrix (when using my single FRFR)

When I first received the FM3, I just used my headphones and it sounded so incredibly amazing, I didn’t bother hooking up to my other rig. Well the time finally came! I am ready to start jamming through the Matrix rig. This is where I ran into some problems I decided to ask for help with. The first thing I noticed is there is no output marked “Unbalanced.” The second is the Main Outs are XLR only. So I can’t just grab the same 1/4 end of my 1/4 to XLR cable, and move it from the rear of my AxeII right into my FM3. I grabbed an XLR to XLR and plugged it into the L Main out and into the Matrix, but didn’t get anything, tried both sides. I even tried moving the slider on the back of the matrix from Parallel, to Stereo, etc… nothing. I think I managed to get one of these to work, but the sound was VERY low. Every combination I tried failed, including changing the FM3 I/O settings from stereo to mono, didn’t change anything for me.

The ONLY thing that ended up working, which is how I have it now. I have 2 XLR cables for both Main Outs, going into both XLR inputs on Matrix. The slider is set to Bridged Mode. This is the only mode that gives me sound. I get decent sound. It feels like it should be louder, but maybes it’s all in my head at this point. I’ve read the other posts here about Bridged Mode on the Matrix. I’m worried this might be damaging to my gear over time. I can’t help but feel that if I had two FRFRs all my problems would be solved in this situation and I’d have awesome stereo sound. However, for now this is all I have and I wanted to make sure I have it connected correctly. I plan on taking Cooper Carter’s Masterclass on the FM3 as well as read every page of the Manual. Until then I wanted to get the help if possible of someone that has this same setup, or knows what to do.

The bottom line is I wanted to see if anyone has the FM3 hooked up to a Matrix GT1000FX and only a single FRFR speaker. If so, how is it being done. Thank you!

Yes, you can run 1/4" from OUT 1 and 2 to XLR into the Matrix. :)

Also need to check your Level in the Setup>I/O Page. Go to Output Config
and check what Output Level is set to. It can be -10db or +4db.

You can run from Output 2 on the FM3. These are 1/4" sockets. You will need to set Output 2 to echo Output 1 (in the I/O menu) and also set the Copy L>R so you get a mono signal. As mentioned set the output to +4db as it gives the amp a stronger signal to work with. -10db will be too quiet.
Set the Matrix amp to Stereo mode. This sets it up as two mono bloc amps. Just run one lead from the FM3 to the input of your choice on the Matrix. Use corresponding output to cab.
No need for both inputs to be used in bridged mode. It only takes input A and sends to Output X in Bridged

You can run from Output 2 on the FM3. These are 1/4" sockets. You will need to set Output 2 to echo Output 1 (in the I/O menu) and also set the Copy L>R so you get a mono signal. As mentioned set the output to +4db as it gives the amp a stronger signal to work with. -10db will be too quiet.
Set the Matrix amp to Stereo mode. This sets it up as two mono bloc amps. Just run one lead from the FM3 to the input of your choice on the Matrix. Use corresponding output to cab.
No need for both inputs to be used in bridged mode. It only takes input A and sends to Output X in Bridged
Thank you so much, all the problems have been solved. I felt like a complete moron not being able to get the cable routing figured out by myself. Im so glad I reached out. Doing the switch from -10db to +4db was far more drastic than I imagined it would be, “quiet” is no longer a term I can use for describing this rig!
Thanks to you both again, many times over. I’ll shred some face melting licks in your honor after work tonight, using the Mark IIC++ with a sweet Ownhammer OS Mesa 4x12!

Back
Top Bottom