AITR

Some answers:

1. This will currently only be available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II. Our other products do not have the NV memory to store the large IRs. I will look into ways of possibly supporting this on the other products. The Mark II has double the NV memory of the Mark I. All the NV memory on the Mark I is allocated. If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.

THIS !!

I don't know. Can a given preset still function if the cab it uses is not currently on the unit itself?
Yes but can you imagine a situation where someone uses all those cabs so they are actually needed on the unit itself?

That said, as I'm thinking about this AITR IR thing, I don't really understand what kind of use case for it I might actually have.

Yes, it sounds kind of cool, but it doesn't seem to be useful for recording or live playing - it's a hardcoded reverb you can't adjust, after all, and even for bedroom playing - that would be IRs of some random cabs on some random rooms, not the cabs I actually use in the room I play in.

Maybe I'm missing something here?

So what I'm finding is:
  • For headphone use: far-field IRs with lots of reflection data, at least 500ms long
  • For FRFR use: reflection-free far-field IRs
  • For studio and live use: near-field IRs truncated to a few samples before the first reflection
Is this accurate? I've been closely following Cliff's findings with IRs, and he seems to change his mind every couple years. From wanting longer IRs to then shorter then back to longer but depending on use.

Very interested in these findings

Still hoping for support for true stereo IR files rather than panning two mono files left and right and calling it stereo.

if you take a stereo export from MixIR3 and load each side, hard panned to the sides that's not stereo? it sure would be handy to have two cab slots linked, with individual pan controls, so you don't have to do everything twice. that gets tedious

TC G-Force has a G-Card.

Recommend keeping the Axe Fx III line together on this, adding or swapping to make room for Fullres IR capability. Quality and capability upgrade vs quantity.

IR libraries can be stored on a computer.

TC G-Force has a G-Card.

Recommend keeping the Axe Fx III line together on this, adding or swapping to make room for Fullres IR capability. Quality and capability upgrade vs quantity.

IR libraries can be stored on a computer.
specially when you just drop a new product last week with half memory on it ... completely remove the will to have an fm9 if the axe 3 is already has been ...

FullRes seems best for recordings, IMO?

I'd imagine playing live with an extra long IR like this would have mixed results since the natural room acoustics may or may not jive with the Fullest length IR, no? @FractalAudio ?

If so, Seems like it isn't a must have for most FM3/9 users who primarily play live. Unless they split signal and MUST have that in their in ears.

Have you rigged up a true stereo IR up in a DAW signal path with the Axe or other modeler? If so was a dual mono comparison of the same IR possible?
I don't talk theoretically but only practically about such things.

Also the Strymon Iridium and Atomic Amplifire 6/12 support stereo IR files.

Back
Top Bottom