FM3 Firmware Version 4.01

Blackmore - Can you explain how you did this? How you got there? I read your post and went into FM3-Edit and couldn't find Preset Utilities Page. Is it "Upgrade all Presets" on there FM3 itself? (Set-up > Utilities > Preset > Upgrade all Presets)

Trying to understand what you meant by this and where it is located. Let me know if I have it correct. Thank you!
Yes, on the FM3, as you described.

Blackmore - Can you explain how you did this? How you got there? I read your post and went into FM3-Edit and couldn't find Preset Utilities Page. Is it "Upgrade all Presets" on there FM3 itself? (Set-up > Utilities > Preset > Upgrade all Presets)

Trying to understand what you meant by this and where it is located. Let me know if I have it correct. Thank you!
Yes, it's on the unit itself and you have the correct commands typed out. Once you into Utilities, you have to use the right arrow to page over.

Small question; at the first Cygnus versions it was recommended to reset the system settings for some OUT2 volume issue. I actually never did that as I was too lazy to redo the Perform Page I parametered. Since I updated to 4.01 a few days ago, is this still required (or not) to settle any eventual OUT2 issues ?

Small question; at the first Cygnus versions it was recommended to reset the system settings for some OUT2 volume issue. I actually never did that as I was too lazy to redo the Perform Page I parametered. Since I updated to 4.01 a few days ago, is this still required (or not) to settle any eventual OUT2 issues ?
Not to settle Out2 issues. They take care of themselves.

@Admin M@

did you plan on the next update/beta to resolve the "Scenes Revert" issue ?

Thanks.
I did not update to this firmware because of that bug so I wonder if there will be any release soon or now that the FM9 is out (only in some countries not in Europe) there is a chance of having this addressed and we will receive regular FM3 updated as we used to?

Thanks,

I noticed with the 4.01 update that all my patches were distorted

I had to go into set up and under Output Config 1 I had to change the level from +4dBu to -10dBV for everything to go back to normal. Not sure the reason for this.

I had to go into set up and under Output Config 1 I had to change the level from +4dBu to -10dBV for everything to go back to normal. Not sure the reason for this.
That means you were overdriving whatever is downstream from your FM3.

That means you were overdriving whatever is downstream from your FM3.
There is nothing downstream from the FM3. It goes straight out to PA/PC
I didn't change anything it ran fine @ +4dBu all I did was update it so saying it's something I'm doing seems a little funny.

There is nothing downstream from the FM3. It goes straight out to PA/PC
I didn't change anything it ran fine @ +4dBu all I did was update it so saying it's something I'm doing seems a little funny.
I meant no offense. Here's the deal:

You were at +4 dBu, and you heard distortion. You switched to -10 dBV, and the distortion went away. When you switched to -10 dBV, all you did was lower the output level of your FM3. If distortion goes away when you lower the output, that means that something after your FM3 was being overdriven, and the lower -10 dBV level reduced your FM3's output enough to stop overdriving it.

If the only thing downstream from your FM3 is your PA, then your PA was being overdriven. It's easy to bump a knob or a switch on a mixer and radically change the gain of the mixer channel. I'd look there first, because you've proven that your FM3 wasn't distorting.

I meant no offense. Here's the deal:

You were at +4 dBu, and you heard distortion. You switched to -10 dBV, and the distortion went away. When you switched to -10 dBV, all you did was lower the output level of your FM3. If distortion goes away when you lower the output, that means that something after your FM3 was being overdriven, and the lower -10 dBV level reduced your FM3's output enough to stop overdriving it.

If the only thing downstream from your FM3 is your PA, then your PA was being overdriven. It's easy to bump a knob or a switch on a mixer and radically change the gain of the mixer channel. I'd look there first, because you've proven that your FM3 wasn't distorting.
Pretty sure his point was that on earlier FW it was not distorting, and then on 4.01 it was, so he changed the output to solve it and was just sharing that, stating he's "not sure the reason for this" meaning the reason for the change in the FW, not what causes distortion in general bud.

edited to change "4.0" to "Earlier FW"

Last edited:
Pretty sure his point was that on 4.0 it was not distorting, and then on 4.01 it was, so he changed the output to solve it and was just sharing that, stating he's "not sure the reason for this" meaning the reason for the change in the FW, not what causes distortion in general bud.
Not sure I followed all of that. What I posted referred to distortion in his specific case. And who is General Bud? :D

This was added/changed in 4.0

GUIDE TO FM3 OUTPUT 2 UNITY GAIN & LINE LEVEL OPERATION
Output 2 of the FM3 is now able to provide your choice of either unity gain or line level output. The following short guide will help you to make the required settings for either use case.
UNITY GAIN
To use FM3 Out 2 in unity gain applications, such as when connecting to a tube amp or certain pedals, confirm the following settings in the "Output 2 Configuration" section under SETUP: I/O: Audio
▪ Output Type: Unity Gain
▪ Boost/Pad: This optional setting may be increased to lower the noise floor. This can be useful, for example, when connecting to a "gainy" tube amp. Be careful however, as higher settings can cause clipping in the FM3. Watch the Status LEDs and reduce preset levels or turn this setting down if needed.
▪ Output 2 Copy: Typically, "None", but there are also applications for copying "IN 1" to OUT 2, such as when recording an analog DI at unity gain via Out 2 while also recording the processed signal via Out 1. Remember though that placing an OUT2 block on the grid will override any Output 2 Copy setting, passing instead whatever audio is sent to the block. Other settings such as Level, Boost/Pad, etc. are not affected by the presence of the OUT2 grid block.
▪ Set Out 2 Mode and Phase as desired. See the FM3 Owner's Manual for additional details.
For Unity Gain applications, set the Out 2 top panel knob fully clockwise to the highest setting.
LINE LEVEL
To use FM3 Out 2 for Line Level applications — such as when connecting to FRFR guitar speakers, studio monitors, mixers, etc., confirm the following settings in the "Output 2 Configuration" section under SETUP: I/O: Audio
▪ Output Type: Line Level
▪ Output Level: -10dBV or +4dBu (most pro devices operate at +4)
▪ Output 2 Copy: As desired: "None”, or "Out 1" if you want Out 2 to reproduce the signal at Out 1 without needing an OUT2 grid block. You could use this, for example, when connecting to personal monitors via Out 2 while Out 1 is connected to a house PA. Remember though that placing an OUT 2 block on the grid will override the COPY OUT 2 setting, passing instead whatever audio is sent to the grid block. Other settings such as Output 2 Level (+4/-10) are not affected by the presence of the Out 2 block.
▪ Set Out 2 Mode and Phase as desired. See the FM3 Owner's Manual for additional details.
For Line Level applications, set the Out 2 top panel knob as desired, starting fully counterclockwise and then increasing gradually until the desired output level is achieved.

This was added/changed in 4.0

GUIDE TO FM3 OUTPUT 2 UNITY GAIN & LINE LEVEL OPERATION
Output 2 of the FM3 is now able to provide your choice of either unity gain or line level output. The following short guide will help you to make the required settings for either use case.
UNITY GAIN
To use FM3 Out 2 in unity gain applications, such as when connecting to a tube amp or certain pedals, confirm the following settings in the "Output 2 Configuration" section under SETUP: I/O: Audio
▪ Output Type: Unity Gain
▪ Boost/Pad: This optional setting may be increased to lower the noise floor. This can be useful, for example, when connecting to a "gainy" tube amp. Be careful however, as higher settings can cause clipping in the FM3. Watch the Status LEDs and reduce preset levels or turn this setting down if needed.
▪ Output 2 Copy: Typically, "None", but there are also applications for copying "IN 1" to OUT 2, such as when recording an analog DI at unity gain via Out 2 while also recording the processed signal via Out 1. Remember though that placing an OUT2 block on the grid will override any Output 2 Copy setting, passing instead whatever audio is sent to the block. Other settings such as Level, Boost/Pad, etc. are not affected by the presence of the OUT2 grid block.
For Unity Gain applications, set the Out 2 top panel knob fully clockwise to the highest setting.
LINE LEVEL
To use FM3 Out 2 for Line Level applications — such as when connecting to FRFR guitar speakers, studio monitors, mixers, etc., confirm the following settings in the "Output 2 Configuration" section under SETUP: I/O: Audio
▪ Output Type: Line Level
▪ Output Level: -10dBV or +4dBu (most pro devices operate at +4)
▪ Output 2 Copy: As desired: "None”, or "Out 1" if you want Out 2 to reproduce the signal at Out 1 without needing an OUT2 grid block. You could use this, for example, when connecting to personal monitors via Out 2 while Out 1 is connected to a house PA. Remember though that placing an OUT 2 block on the grid will override the COPY OUT 2 setting, passing instead whatever audio is sent to the grid block. Other settings such as Output 2 Level (+4/-10) are not affected by the presence of the Out 2 block.
For Line Level applications, set the Out 2 top panel knob as desired, starting fully counterclockwise and then increasing gradually until the desired output level is achieved.
You're right. This was a change that tripped some people up. But this change affected Output 2. @EricGlass is using Output 1.

Last edited:
@FractalAudio Just a small note on the 5150 model.. I had some fun this weekend with the real amp and got a DI out signal from the head while plugged into a standard Marshall 4x12 B straight cab. Applied the cab in the FM3 afterwards.

I did a comparison with the FM3 and it looks like it is a little rougher sounding than the real deal. I can do a sound clip of this. Basically the thing that you described as rubbing two rocks vs rubbing sandpaper. The 5150 in Cygnus is amazing, but should be a little less rough sounding in the low end and more squishy. Otherwise it's insane!

@FractalAudio Just a small note on the 5150 model.. I had some fun this weekend with the real amp and got a DI out signal from the head while plugged into a standard Marshall 4x12 B straight cab. Applied the cab in the FM3 afterwards.

I did a comparison with the FM3 and it looks like it is a little rougher sounding than the real deal. I can do a sound clip of this. Basically the thing that you described as rubbing two rocks vs rubbing sandpaper. The 5150 in Cygnus is amazing, but should be a little less rough sounding in the low end and more squishy. Otherwise it's insane!
Your copy of the amp could be different from Fractal’s copy. This is why some people buy the same gear as their heroes and still don’t sound the same with the real gear too.

Back
Top Bottom