FM3 Future Updates and Support?

Fractal COULD make guitar processor VST…

But I doubt they would as I’d imagine it would be a huge waste of time considering they’ve insisted on a high standard for this long.

I’ve tried most of the guitar VSTs out there, you cannot get the same performance and accuracy on non-dedicated hardware.
I had heard similar reports with the native Helix Stuff. Even before that with native versions of other digital hardware.

In some cases I suppose you could chalk that up to inferior a/d/a. I’d be curious to know what other factors contribute to that.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Lets use the usb in the back of the FM3 to add more DSP/CPU Like Universal Audio does, then I can keep my unit On the Recording desk

If anything I think the release of the FM9 means longer support and more updates for the FM3. It’s basically the same platform just more CPUs so I imagine there will be a lot of cross pollination of updates.

That's my take as well. As a FM3 owner I was actually pretty excited when the FM9 was announced (within the same family) and not an Axe-Fx IV or similar new product line.

Last edited:

But I doubt they would as I’d imagine it would be a huge waste of time considering they’ve insisted on a high standard for this long.

I’ve tried most of the guitar VSTs out there, you cannot get the same performance and accuracy on non-dedicated hardware.

I would guess that piracy is the main obstacle. I've never found an interface setup that I could love on a computer-based modelling rig. Fractal could probably solve that but the piracy issue remains. I don't blame them for saying "ain't nobody got time for that..."

Owning both Helix Floor and Helix Native, I think they can perform exactly the same but the VST plugin will always have more latency and will depend a lot on what you use for an audio interface. I think it sounds the same if I use my Helix Floor as the audio interface but my Focusrite doesn't sound quite as good but is generally good enough.

I would buy an Axe-Fx plugin with the Axe-Edit UI the moment one was released.

If Fractal's apprehension on doing one has been piracy, then I would say that people who would pirate a plugin would not buy it in the first case. If their concern is someone reverse engineering their modeling with the plugin then I could see that as a legit concern.

If Fractal doesn't want to release the amp modeling, I would still love to see for example their modulation and delays as plugins because the FAS-FX Reverb is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom