AFIII Mr Crowley - Instrumental Cover

Mita

Hello, I am a new forum poster but old forum stalker. The main lead guitar, harmony guitar, and two rhythm guitars were recorded with the AX3. Huge thanks to Leon Todd's videos. I started getting tones I really like after following along with his tutorials. PS, I am not trying to imitate the original tone, just went for something clear and "pretty" to my ears. Enjoy!

Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how to sync the effects tempo with my DAW tempo. I saw it in the manual, but took the quick way out for this one and used the DAW delay... Next time.

Thanks man. The biggest help was the "how to choose a cab" tutorial from Leon Todd. I did that trick for both amp and cab. I also used the CC boost that he uses in half of his videos haha. It gave a really nice singing quality to the lead at the expense of tight palm mutes (which the original recording has loads of). I wanted to keep both, but ended up sacrificing the chunky palm mutes for the singing mid range.

Loved that you tackled the drums too. Made me want to get back to learning them. So much fun. Self taught or did you take lessons?

Self taught, with a loooong way to go haha. I found an isolated drum track from the original recording on YouTube, transcribed it, and then tempo matched it in software to keep the feel of the song. I listened to the album version so many times over the years and never noticed how cool the drum parts were until doing this little experiment. The Ozzy mix is pretty old school so a lot of the "percussive" detail does not stick out very much.

Yeah man, exactly. Watching your hands and the kick I kept thinking wow that’s pretty cool I have to go pay more attention to the drums on that track. It actually got me to spin the whole first album and focus more on what the drummer is doing. Some really great stuff there. I guess I’ve always paid attention to Randy when spinning Blizzard, Diary, or Tribute.
Attempting to self teach here too but need more consistency in practice.

Great cover!

The live version where you play the keyboard intro with the guitar is also fantastic. Total badass band! 🤘

Yeah man, exactly. Watching your hands and the kick I kept thinking wow that’s pretty cool I have to go pay more attention to the drums on that track. It actually got me to spin the whole first album and focus more on what the drummer is doing. Some really great stuff there. I guess I’ve always paid attention to Randy when spinning Blizzard, Diary, or Tribute.
Attempting to self teach here too but need more consistency in practice.
Yep, same thing for me. I've always been focused on the guitars on those 3 albums, for obvious reasons, and was really surprised when I heard the isolated drums. I mostly practice rudiments on drum pads (with a double kick pedal) while watching some crap on the internet. That really helps staying consistent, because otherwise I would be bored doing the same repetitive motion every day. I found some anti vibration pads on amazon that are normally used to silence noisy dryers to put under my whole practice pad setup. That stopped my neighbors from complaining hehe

Great cover!

The live version where you play the keyboard intro with the guitar is also fantastic. Total badass band! 🤘
Thank you very much! Unfortunately that band is no more. I've been scourging my local craigslist and social media for a singer to record another album, but have had no good matches for quite some time now.

Yep, same thing for me. I've always been focused on the guitars on those 3 albums, for obvious reasons, and was really surprised when I heard the isolated drums. I mostly practice rudiments on drum pads (with a double kick pedal) while watching some crap on the internet. That really helps staying consistent, because otherwise I would be bored doing the same repetitive motion every day. I found some anti vibration pads on amazon that are normally used to silence noisy dryers to put under my whole practice pad setup. That stopped my neighbors from complaining hehe
Hah - complaining neighbors. I hear that. I had a real kit here at one point until the cops got called. Now there is an electronic kit and everyone is happier hahahah.

Thank you very much! Unfortunately that band is no more. I've been scourging my local craigslist and social media for a singer to record another album, but have had no good matches for quite some time now.

The next time you find a woman that can sing Mr. Crowley, marry her

Back
Top Bottom